Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroen C4 vs Ford Focus dilemma

Options
  • 29-01-2007 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Okay - I'm looking to hear drivers opinions on the current Citroen C4 HDi range. Do you own one? Have you had any problems? Or is it trouble free and wonderful?

I have narrowed my choice of company car to either the new C4 HDi Coupe - or the new Focus TDCi hatch. But I have read some C4 ownership nightmares online, mostly on UK forums, in the past few days. Specifically that Citroens aftersales service is appaling - and repairs under warranty are frequent and tend to take forever.

In contrast I've read some great things about the Ford Focus (great handling, v reliable etc etc ). But I just find the "please everyman" design of the Focus dull in comparison to the design flair of the French car, and equipment spec of the C4 are higher. It's just a cooler car!

So - do you own either car (say 06 reg to present). Whatd'ya make of 'em?

Cheers !

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Focus - no contest. Honestly. The Citroen will break your heart (unreliable), and then your wallet (come sale or trade in time).

See www.honestjohn.co.uk

One thing however - what engine power is the Focus? I bet it's 90bhp. The Citroen may be 110bhp (from the same engine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I'd go for the C4 anyday. Far better looking and diesels hold their value better than you might think.

I've had my Citroen for 70000 miles of mostly hard driving. The only problems I've had are a blockage in a power steering system tube (fixed for free) and a windscreen washer motor packing up (warranty). I even service my own myself, nice and easy to work on.

Citroen makes great diesels. I regualarly sit into Citroen taxis here in Paris with 400000km+ and the drivers swear by them. PLus, the Citroen is an infinitely better looking car than the Ford.

As regards after sales service, the best I've ever had is at PG Duffy Citroen in Newbridge. When mine failed the NCT for a headlight being slightly out the owner of the dealership presented me with a cheque for the cost of the re test and had the headlights aligned straight away before any other jobs were done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

One thing however - what engine power is the Focus? I bet it's 90bhp. The Citroen may be 110bhp (from the same engine).

And it is the exact same engine....jointly developed by citroen, Peuogot and Ford.. isnt it??
    I drove a 1.4 petrol C4 while on holiday. Thought it was a grand car, but not as comfortable as my Golf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My heart says C4, but my brain says Focus :/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dundhoone wrote:
    And it is the exact same engine....jointly developed by citroen, Peuogot and Ford.. isnt it??

It is, and Ford offered it in 110 bhp form in earlier Foci, but only market it here now in 90bhp detuned form.

They are trying to promote the sale of the 1.8 TDCI Lynx engine, which has 115bhp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I strongly considered a C4 diesel when they came out (I prefer the 5-door). I think they are really different and individual and the 1.6 110 bhp diesel sounds like the perfect mix.

However I would be concerned about reliability. Autocar ran a diesel C4 for a year and it had many problems AFAIK.

I'd consider a Mazda 3 before the Focus though (same engine)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

I have 05 C4, 1.6hdi 110bhp. About 50k miles on the clock. Not a single problem. Had a Xsara before it for 4 years never had a problem with her either. Sold it with 120k on the clock. Maybe I am just lucky :D

P.S. I don't think boards.ie is a good place to ask about French cars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

I drove a focus TDDI for 4 years , never a problem, and i really mean never. Have a C4 for 4 months and its been back to main dealers 4 times for electrical problems and wiper trouble.

seen another one in the main dealers with dash wiring on the floor...I wouldnt give you bad advice.

Focus on the ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Christ0pher

Thanks lads - yeah - the general consensus seems to confirm what I already know. Get the C4, and prepare to be on first name terms with the Citroen service team over it's lifetime ... Get the Focus and you'll never know the Ford mechanics name. Possibly never even see him.

It's looking like my mind is made up ... until a C4 passes by some time today and I'll go through this all over again ... Arrrghh

C4 is a good looking car, and different too.

Onthe downside it's named after an explosive afaik!

Focus is the class leader and for good reason. Handling wise nothing beats it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

I currently have a Citroen C4 2.0 HDI 136bhp VTS coupe with BVA 6 speed auto/tiptronic box as a company car, one of only 2 VTS HDI's officially imported into the country.
    Like any other manufacturer and any other new model, there are recalls on C4's but they will have been completed before you get your car and the number of new recalls on the C4 would be much lower now than it would have been in the first year after release. I personally think the C4 is a better looking car than the focus. You get good and bad cars from any marque so you can be lucky or unlucky with either car.

Advertisement