Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting out..

Options
  • 29-01-2007 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    just picked up WOW there the last day and am looking to get to know some lads already playing(its lonely being a newb exping by myself:P ). I'm a vetran of several other MMORPG's including DAOC, UO and Anarchy online so I'm no stranger to power leveling and PvP, which is really what I'm looking to do.

Im currently on some pvp server called Auchindoun I think but it seems kind of empty and most of you guys seem to be on bladefist.

In short, anyone got a guild I could join and maybe give me a hand started out? I'm willing to change servers and wouldnt mind being a priest or some other support class if it suits the guild(though my preference is rouge).

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

jaendaer is good craic, i'm at my annoying lvl 39 stage so i'm always looking to help out lower lvl guildies and my guild alwats does runs for lvl 10s, great craic, bout 300 in the guild too, great chat too

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

yaeh im on jaednar too and always good fun there, good few of us irish around, duno what guild meleka is in but im in den of thieves, so if your on tonight ill b on from bout 7, jsut drop me a whisper and ill get ya an invite :) ingame name is splinty, we're horde btw

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

boo horde, i'm on ally, knights of clydonia

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Aggamagan is where it's all happening now. I'm stuck in the boring late 30's phase myself at the moment too though - I wanna horsey NOW!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

I wanna horsey NOW!!!!

how could i forget...

running from one end of STV to the other.... good times :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭coco200066

Well DH just bought the game for me so I am a complete newbie to all of this. I am leaning toward the Undead, mage/priest but as posted elsewhere, I could be totally on crack as they say!

So if anyone has any good tips, wants to take on a complete newbie under their wing, let me know.

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

cance wrote:
    how could i forget...

*shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

cance wrote:
    how could i forget...

The thought of spending half my life running across STV really puts me off levelling my alts...

i did all those annoying levels grinding SM...couldnt stand the thought of STV...
    coco priests are always fun to level, i have mine near 58 atm and i love every second of it, stick with shadow talents to make it easy for yourself but its defo loads of fun :) mages are great but tbh i couldnt get into it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭oceansize

coco200066 wrote:
    Well DH just bought the game for me so I am a complete newbie to all of this. I am leaning toward the Undead, mage/priest but as posted elsewhere, I could be totally on crack as they say!

So if anyone has any good tips, wants to take on a complete newbie under their wing, let me know.

Thanks guys!

Priest is a boring class to lvl, but a very fin class to play in PvE PvP. Mage is easy to lvl, as you have a huge advantage over Melee targets (by being able to keep them almost constantly snared while you get out of range to attack them. And "Blink" has to be my favorite talent from any class. someone hits you or snares you... Blink 20ft in a different direction to safety.

Choose an Undead male or Human/Nigh Elf female priest for looks, and they own in all other areas aswell.

Don't pick Rogue. My rogue has 705 attack power at lvl60 (in the burning crusade starting area). I can handle 2 targets at the same time, but a mage was helping me and the damage they output is INSANE to say the least.

Hope it helps.

I have an alliance character on Sunstrider. With about 1200gold. If you need help starting off i'll lvl her with you and help you out with some cash. When you log in type /Add Valve (valve is my chars name)

Don't be forced to do that though, make your decision, as there arn't any irish players on that server really. You will be stuck with this character until you have bags under your eyes and your bird has dumped your ass... =)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

cance wrote:
    how could i forget...

Ok, I'm relatively new to WoW. What is STV and why am I suddenly dreading the thought of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

I hate STV.. tiz evil

STV is an area in Warcraft called Stranglethorn Vale.. its very big and boring and takes AGES to walk from one end to the other where the main town is... glad i dont have to go there again : )

roll an undead warlock... they simply own.

and STV?

STV on a pvp server is the World of Warcraft equivalent of HELL. Especially if you are alliance.

STV is a questing area for both horde and alliance, sounds fair right? WRONG!! alliance have no base, no flight path and quest RIGHT beside a horde camp. (nessingwarries)

Worse still is both the gurubashi arena, a lvl 60 fighting grounds where everyone fights it out for random treasure. and Zul'Gurub. a Level 60 raid area. right smack bang beside a low level questing area.

hence tons of horde, and lvl 60 horde just waiting to kill you, over and over again till you log off for the evening.

lots to look forward to.

Bugger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Alliance do have a flight path - but its in Booty Bay - the very southern tip of the area : )

ive never played on a PVP server but it does sound like fun : ) do u get ganked alot?

oh yes damn sure. was there last night on my horde priest and there was a group of 5 alli all 63+ attacking gromgol for bout an hour, me and a 66 lock did what we could to fight em but twas hopeless, just killed everything.... heh poor low level hordes got murdered..

Well it's a lvl32+ area insn't it? You dont get ganked to much if you just grind the Venture. Co fellas, you can easily escape an attacker there. And if you're being ganked by a higher lvl, run back toward the graveyard direction to make your trip shorter.

Alliance do have a flight path - but its in Booty Bay - the very southern tip of the area : )

ive never played on a PVP server but it does sound like fun : ) do u get ganked alot?

i know that, but its not technically STV :P

and yes, you get ganked all the time... even in outlands at lvl 65 im still getting ganked on occassion when im preoccupied. but since i got shadow burn the poor rogues normally come out the losers.

even thinking of STV makes my blood boil and wards me off leveling an alt. Nessingwarries expedition was a nightmare for me, i had quests done from there while they were red/orange. elite quests to kill tigers/raptors etc that i had solo'd (chain fear ftw) but i could never hand them in and horde used to camp the spot out and gank any ally who came near. i handed 1 in at yellow, followed by a ganking/corpse camping/graveyard ganking/log off. the other 2 i had to hand in at green!

but its all an experience, and those damn pve servers make it too easy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If I ever level on a PvP server I think I'd just farm SM at that level...

splinter wrote:
    i did all those annoying levels grinding SM...couldnt stand the thought of STV...
    coco priests are always fun to level, i have mine near 58 atm and i love every second of it, stick with shadow talents to make it easy for yourself but its defo loads of fun :) mages are great but tbh i couldnt get into it..

Thank you so much for your help!

• Advertisement

oceansize wrote:
    Priest is a boring class to lvl, but a very fin class to play in PvE PvP. Mage is easy to lvl, as you have a huge advantage over Melee targets (by being able to keep them almost constantly snared while you get out of range to attack them. And "Blink" has to be my favorite talent from any class. someone hits you or snares you... Blink 20ft in a different direction to safety.

Choose an Undead male or Human/Nigh Elf female priest for looks, and they own in all other areas aswell.

Don't pick Rogue. My rogue has 705 attack power at lvl60 (in the burning crusade starting area). I can handle 2 targets at the same time, but a mage was helping me and the damage they output is INSANE to say the least.

Hope it helps.

I have an alliance character on Sunstrider. With about 1200gold. If you need help starting off i'll lvl her with you and help you out with some cash. When you log in type /Add Valve (valve is my chars name)

Don't be forced to do that though, make your decision, as there arn't any irish players on that server really. You will be stuck with this character until you have bags under your eyes and your bird has dumped your ass... =)

Thank you also and everyone, this is so helpful.

Now can I ask a really dumb questions lol....what is PvE PvP?

Playe Vs Environment and Player Versus Player. I don't have a lot of experience with either, but basically in PvP you will have your ass handed to you a number of times, but it's a hell of a lot more fun! :D

humanji wrote:
    Playe Vs Environment and Player Versus Player. I don't have a lot of experience with either, but basically in PvP you will have your ass handed to you a number of times, but it's a hell of a lot more fun! :D

PvP = Player vs Player.
    There are 2 sides, Horde and Alliance.

If you are an alliance player. And you start out at lvl1, you will be in an "Alliance Zone". So you are safe from attack from a Horde player. You can ttack them though as they are in your zone, once you attack them, they can fight back.

If you are in a contested zone. The opposition will always appear with red writing above their heads. You're basically supposed to be at war with them, so you kill them if you can. They can attack you if they please also.

Then the opposite is you as an alliance player going into a "Horde Zone" won't be able to attack anyone, but they can attack you if they please. Once you're attacked, you can fight back.

PvE = Player vs Enemy? Or Environment.

THis basically makes lvling up easier (as you can't be attacked by opposing players) but seems to take the fun out of it. As the only way you can fight one of your mortal enemy, is to kindly invite them into a duel lol.
    (you can of course spend the rest of your life in the battlegrounds which is always Kill on site).

So basically PvP is for someone who wants to be able to kill the opposition on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

There's a couple of us after rolling new chars on Auchindoun. We're trying to get more onto it. Most of us have been playing wow on and off since it's release so if you want to stay on that server you can give Bzal or Seyter a shout. There was about 10 of us going to roll on it but most are busy in outland on their mains atm. We'll get them over eventually.

You guys are great for all the help, really appreciate it.

Once I figure out what name I am going to play under, DH is going to set me up on his pc and then I should be squared away as they say, well at least at getting on the game lol. I know I will be pummelled severely for a while hehehe. I am used to playing the XBox 360 and such and used to their controls, never played on the pc before or used keyboard for controls, so that will be a challenge in itself lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

IF your going for a Priest

Dwarf or Undead. Fear ward and Devouring Plague are the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Great Guild on Nordrassil : Na Fianna! :)

Advertisement