Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt question

Options
  • 29-01-2007 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone would have an idea of the cost of changing the timing belt on a 01 Golf.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

i would say around 450 should cover it i will get an exact foe u and post it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I left my Passat in to get it done today. €500 in backstreet garage €1050 in Main Dealer.

The resaon it's so expensive is the way the engine is mounted the Mk4 Golf is the same AFAIK?

hi just checked it out there 450 it will cost to get it done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ballooba, does you car have the engine inline so the front end (rad etc) has to come off?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

My 00 Golf has 76k miles up on it, with the time belt last done at 51k (AFAIK). When will it need to be changed??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Leave it till about 110,000. But don't blame me if it goes at 109,999

Mike.

at 100k depending on who you ask some say 50k others 60k so if you do it 100 cant really go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

ballooba wrote:
    I left my Passat in to get it done today. €500 in backstreet garage €1050 in Main Dealer.

The resaon it's so expensive is the way the engine is mounted the Mk4 Golf is the same AFAIK?
    Passat B5 had in-line engine. This was to facilitate the 4 motion models easier. The new B6 has transverse. I'm open to correction, but so far as I know the Mk4 golf was transverse, and possibly all golfs were transverse... but then again I'm only guessing, so no over-critical replies please!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

*scratch* never mind my mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mechanic1

If you PM me your engine size, and mileage i will be able to get you a price from an independent garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

last 1 i got done timing belt set at auto shop 50 lids mechanic from main dealer 1 hours work 75 lids,

mike65 wrote:
    ballooba, does you car have the engine inline so the front end (rad etc) has to come off?

Mike.
    Yep. all that good stuff.

He is going to change fan belt and something else when he has it out. It won't be comng out for another 60,000 miles hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Water pump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

old boy wrote:
    last 1 i got done timing belt set at auto shop 50 lids mechanic from main dealer 1 hours work 75 lids,
    If, as I suspect, the 'lid'-euro exchange rate is 1:1, I'd say you're talking about fan belts there, not a timing belt.

Stephen wrote:
    Water pump?
    That's the one.

In one ear and out the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

ballooba wrote:

The resaon it's so expensive is the way the engine is mounted the Mk4 Golf is the same AFAIK?[/QUOT]

Wow - 1050????
    Looking at the same job comming up myself. what year and engine was yours - had only 500-600 in mind, but havnt really checked yet.
    Have a local Skoda garage, which was advised to ask for a quote, as are supposed to be cheaper than VW a few miles away.

Mine is 2002 and it's 1.6 petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Would the timing belt on a 1.3 mirage be too much to take on for a novice tinkerer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭BrayHead

Thanks for the info :)

Advertisement