Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireplace

Options
  • 29-01-2007 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Ok, I need to pick a fireplace for a new house and thinking of going for a standard open one.

So, what do I need to buy? Obviously a mantel, a back panel, a hearth, a fret and grate thingy,.......is that all?

What about a fireback? I cant tell if its already there cos the builder just plasterboarded the whole wall.

(Please excuse the sheer stupidity, never had to do this before)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You'll need all the things you mentioned AND the fireback. It's very unlikely that the builder has installed it and the list you mentioned usually would come as a job lot including installation. Get yourself round to a few places that stock fireplaces and choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,157 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Ciara22 wrote:
    Ok, I need to pick a fireplace for a new house and thinking of going for a standard open one.

So, what do I need to buy? Obviously a mantel, a back panel, a hearth, a fret and grate thingy,.......is that all?

What about a fireback? I cant tell if its already there cos the builder just plasterboarded the whole wall.

(Please excuse the sheer stupidity, never had to do this before)

Theres a place in stoneybatter that does fireplaces ,hes got old navy blue gates to his place. I'm sure the name is prenders ,I've only gone to pick up hearths off him .
    He always has about 10-15 fireplaces on display .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

or try buckleys
    We just got a fire from them and found them very good.
    They have a few showrooms or they actual yard is up towards glencullen

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

I know a great place near Bagenalstown Co Carlow...Old Charm Fireplaces...we bought ours there and they were a fraction of the cost of fireplaces in Co Kildare and Dublin. Same fireplaces and same great quality just happy to charge a fair price for them. Highly recommend them. They open at weekends and late evenings too and have a lovely showrooms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 specialmerac

Sackcloth And Ashes

Sackcloth and Ashes have the finest selection of fireplaces,gas fires, stoves etc. in marble,stone,granite, wood and cast iron..Styles may change but our passion and commitment to providing the very finest wont.

www.sackclothandashes.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 cmcd

What specialmerac meant to say.

Styles may change but our passion and commitment to finding free avenues of advertising wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 conordarcy

Have a look at
    www.fireplacesdirect.ie/buying-a-fireplace.php
    theres some good advice for buying a fireplace.

Advertisement