Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lame Duck

Options
  • 29-01-2007 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I've been in UL for the last four years or thereabouts, and I've only recently heard about this pub. So what's the story, it's in Co. Clare, somewhere beyond Thomond, but how do I get to it? And is it worth the trek?

It all sounds slightly mysterious but I want to find out...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

If you're in Dromroe, walk out to the road towards Thomond.
    On your left you'll see railings. Go to these railings.
    You will see a path. Follow the path.
    Eventually you'll see the Shannon in front of you, and a ruined mill on your right.
    Take a right there, and go across the bridge.
    Follow the path. Eventually you'll come to a road.
    Take a left and within a minute, you'll see the Duck on your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

I never bothered my arse to go there, but i probably would have if i'd lived near UL. How to get there....ya know driving to Dromroe, just before you pull into dromroe on the right, you cross a wee bridge. Before you cross the bridge theres a path down the left that goes down to a castle and the river walkway. Theres a narrow pedestrian bridge crossing the Shannon there, so go over that and keep going until you find it.

Apparently they don't serve students on principle. It's an quiet local pub, not a student pub. 'F*ck off back to the Scholars' my mates were told one saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Its a nice pub but you really can't act the arse in there. I'd highly recommend the place if you're just going for a pint with a friend and are not already hammered. Otherwise you'll just get hostile looks. Grand little pub for a quiet evening pint of Guinness though, about 10 walks from Drumroe as klong said. If you ARE hammered and want an adventure, keep walking past the Duck and after about 10km you'll end up in Parteen and then the ESB dam in Ardnacrusha. Bring comfy shoes and extra booze. Its well worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 RoryOBrien_85

Me and a few lads went down last year for a few pints. It was full of auld lads (well about 3) and they were sound out. Crackin jokes and talkin away to us...Plus, it has to have the nicest pints of guinness ever... :p

But like the rest of the lads mentioned, don't go when you're hammered or don't be acting the arse and ye'll be grand...

It's kind of like UL's hidden treasure, not many people know about it (probably for the best though)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Oh well, thats the "hidden treasure" tag gone now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

I'm a resident...the Lease holder Frank(I think) Richardson didn't want student's, wouldn't serve them,..until the drink driving clampdown started to deprive him of his large driving clientele. It was then a case of either pursue student's, his former enemies or close down. Hear a lot of locals now complaining about the student's...apparently a lot of body odour (not joking!)...well that's the locals who continue to go there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Galway1987

walk up as far as cappavilla, and there will be a bog-road to the left, walk down there afor about 15mins and swing a left and its on your right after anohter 3 mins walk, lovely Guinness, good for matches. But some nob-end thru a chair thru a window there in april '07 now students are barred, prob change this september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Ah **** it.

Muppet. Wanted to try it before I head away to the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

I dunno about that, I was there in May for a lovely pint on a friday evening before I started my final set of exams.

Its a grand spot alright if you're looking for a few quiet pints and a good chat with a small group of friends. It seems like mainly older students that go there though, I'm not sure if a large group of rowdy 1st years would be too welcome to be honest.

I remember getting a bit of a dirty look from a few of the regulars when first walking in but we got no hassle at all. The owner isn't a money grabber though, he doesn't care if the UL students are a potentially lucrative market; it's most definitely a 'local pub'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

kaimera wrote:
    Ah **** it.

Muppet. Wanted to try it before I head away to the real world.

Thursday next week then? It's a good plan :) Pack of Benson and some Guinness sounds like a nice way to spend a Thursday afternoon before graduation.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement

Make sure your down on Thursday then rory :v:!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I was down several times in Semester 2 this year and never had any hostile looks or heard whisperings of bannings. In fact, this thread is the first I've heard that the proprietors are anything but welcoming to students. The flyers advertising the place in student reception in Thomond certainly gave me the opposite idea.

Any time I've been there, there has been another table or so of students but they were quiet and damn well respected the place.

I'll continue going there anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

kaimera wrote:
    Make sure your down on Thursday then rory :v:!!!

I'll be there don't you worry :) I'm going to need a few pints after I've sorted out this whole looking for somewhere to live ****e.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

It's a nice, quiet little pub. Great if ya want a quiet drink with three or four other friends.

Not the sort of place to get plastered in though. That's what the Stables, and places in town, are for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 meanturtle

trekkypj wrote:
    Not the sort of place to get plastered in though. That's what the Stables, and places in town, are for.

Or Drink at home and walk around drunkenly in the lodge. Woohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

After an incident last night where a number of students threw pint glasses and bottles at a family home after their return to campus from the Lame Duck, UL students will not be served at the bar.

Usual problem of a few plonkers ruining things for the larger group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Queen_Tallulah

What's the Hurlers like? Passed it countless times but we'd never think to go in

After an incident last night where a number of students threw pint glasses and bottles at a family home after their return to campus from the Lame Duck, UL students will not be served at the bar.

3 of us got served last thurs night; granted we were the only three in the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

Hope that isn't true, they've the best pints of guinness EVER.

As for the hurlers, ive only walked through once getting a take-away, but it looks like a nice place for a quiet drink

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

I remember (a sad phrase but a proud one!) when the hurlers was an absolutely mental spot for students, especially on a thurs night, when Free Beer would rile everyone up nicely for the hop to the Lodge, and people drank half their drinks and spilled the rest on someone for the laugh. actually, can remember pukin into a pint glass there. went and got another drink. great times.

but then, at the end of first year (think it had somethin to do with the smoking ban) they changed the layout of it, big time. gone was the treacherous dance floor with the step in the middle of it, gone was the stage, gone were some rooms i think. strange move. so now no one goes there, because you'd find more atmosphere in mass. but maybe tis due a renaissance, god knows tis better than that soul-destroying, characterless husk of a licensed establishment that is the Groody Bar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Groody Bar isnt that bad! Its good for a quiet pint and a chat with a few people but useless as a lively place before a club. Its my new local so I have to like it I suppose:D

Advertisement