Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBox Help Badly Needed!!

• 29-01-2007 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I have had an XBox since its launch many moons ago. I recently bought a 17" LCD TV from Argos, (Mikomi I think the brand is) and am having real difficulties with the contrast and picture quality of the games. I know the LCD is only 50hz, but I was wondering if there was a cable that I could buy that would improve the graphics of the games? (I'm still using the cable supplied with the XBox on its launch). I'm also looking to upgrade to an XBox 360 next month and was wondering if this newer system would give me better picture quality or would I have to resign myself to buying a better LCD?
    Looking for the cheapest option really? Thanks for any/all advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Does your tv have component (Red, Green, Blue) Input?! Or VGA input, the same as most pc monitors use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dexterfletcher

Hi Julez,

I believe that it just has the regular VGA input, the standard 3 colour XBox leads into a SCART connector and then into one of the SCART sockets on the TV. Here's some specs on the LCD I have...

17in (43.1cm) widescreen TV with 43cm visible screen size.
    Resolution 1280 x 768 pixels.
    Brightness 400cd/m2.
    Contrast ratio 450:1

Connectivity
    2 SCART sockets.
    PC input - suitable for use as a PC monitor
    Back panel AV socket.
    Sound Quality
    Nicam stereo sound.
    2 x 3w RMS power output.

Here's what you want...
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/GENBRW/3-/741485/Joytech_XBox_360_Digital_VGA_Cable/Product.html
    When you get it put go to the visual settings option on your 360 and set the resolution to 1280 x 768 pixels, you might want to play around with your tv settings too (Brightness, Contrast, Colour etc.) because vga can look very washed out... it'll be a huge improvment to what your using now tho!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

he doesn't have a360 yet, just the old skool xbox like me. :)

what you want is an xbox advanced A/V pack which basically consists of a nice swanky cable that will give you the best possible picture on your xbox.

only thing is, from my investigations MS has stopped making them for the old xbox. i did a bit of hunting and found a monster thread on the xbmc forums (if you have an old xbox and don't have xbmc on it you are totally wasting the true potential of your xbox btw, so go to www.xboxmediacenter.com and check it out) about general video quality, HDTV output and 5.1 sound on the xbox. the long and short of it is, there's plenty of unofficial alternatives, but the best of the bunch curently is this one here which will do everything you want it to and leave a little room for expansion later on if you get a better telly or a 5.1 surround system and all for €23 delivered.

Oh, sorry! Just assumed he meant 360! :o
    I'm not even sure if what you said would work tho?! Would that work on a tv without a connection for component leads?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Would that device that you link to allow me too hook my old xbox to a pc monitor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

no, but it looks like this one does:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adapter-PS2-XBOX-GC-3-IN-1-VGA-box-for-playing-on-PC-TV_W0QQitemZ250078993967QQihZ015QQcategoryZ20385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

can't vouch for the quality tho, but for the price it'd almost be worth just getting one to find out.

Advertisement