Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect costs for extension

Options
  • 29-01-2007 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

We're thinking of building a 2 storey extension, we're going to need planning cos it's outside exemption limits and have been quoted 2,000 by architect to cover all drawings and planning documentation, 4 site visits during construction and certs of conformance. I was wondering if this sounds reasonable..we're in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,037 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Go for it - sounds like a good price to me

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For a job like that 10% of build costs is good.
    This looks well inside that. Sounds great. Make sure you are getting what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

thats very reasonable, id go for it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 wornout

hi
    this sounds very cheap to me,check out that he is actually a qualified architect and not just a architectural technician wherein he will not be able to sign off on the job,be very careful,i have lots of experience with so called qualified architects,plumbers,builders etc

good luck with it

wornout wrote:
    and not just a architectural technician wherein he will not be able to sign off on the job,be very careful
    And where did you get this idea from?

• Advertisement

hi
    as far as i am aware only architects affiliated to the rsiai can sign off on a job! i may stand to be corrected

muffler wrote:
    And where did you get this idea from?

was thinking the same myself, seen as im a qualified technician, with proper insurance we can sign off house work, no problem, especially if were BIAT or RIBA certified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 blahblah2

thanks for all the replies

wornout
    - he claims it's his standard fee for semi-d 2 storey extension, from what I can remember he did say he has a colleague (possibly a technician) to do some of the grunt work which I guess helps to keep the cost down, but he has overall responsibility for everything and we deal only with him. Anyway, we're still at the talking and thinking about it stage and will get everything in writing if we decide to go ahead.

wornout wrote:
    hi
    as far as i am aware only architects affiliated to the rsiai can sign off on a job! i may stand to be corrected
    Please be upstanding so for your architectural technicians :D

Branners wrote:
    was thinking the same myself, seen as im a qualified technician, with proper insurance we can sign off house work, no problem, especially if were BIAT or RIBA certified
    Spot on Branners

• Advertisement

glad to have this point cleared up,my original so called architect was obviously not registered with anybody

thanks

wornout wrote:
    my original so called architect was obviously not registered with anybody
    Thats the whole point - he/she doesn't have to be registered or affiliated to any association/institute/body. So long as they are competent and hold professional indemnity insurance you would be fine

blahblah2 wrote:
    We're thinking of building a 2 storey extension, we're going to need planning cos it's outside exemption limits and have been quoted 2,000 by architect to cover all drawings and planning documentation, 4 site visits during construction and certs of conformance. I was wondering if this sounds reasonable..we're in Dublin

word of mouth is the way to go with regards to the building industry,
    so if you know anyone who's used this architect, and were satisfied with the service, id defo go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭ThomasH

Hi,

I was wondering what is a good price for such an architects services?

It seems to me that people think in the building industry services are too expensive or if they are cheap/affordable then people are wary.

Thanks
    Tom

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

2000 is a very good price.

i charge 1500 just to take a typical extension to planning stage that includes all costs but i do not check on the construction or sign off on the job.

so 2k is very very good if you ask me.

but as said above, check and make sure he can properly sign the job off and he has the relevemt insurance. (PI)

ohh yeah i am a structural/civil enginneering technician (will be bacheolor of engineering this june hopefully) and i can sign off jobs with the relevent insurance. it is possible for technicians to sign off the work, and as said above you dont need college degrees comming out your ass but must be good at what you do and be competent.

Advertisement