Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Go! -----> Anyone?

Options
  • 29-01-2007 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was thinking about getting Irish Broadband Go! card but since it's a mininum 12 months contract i would like to know if anyone has tried it already and if it works.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 9onRichterScale

Anything else and not IBB! Get a Go card from Zimbabwe and you won`t regret it, man! Believe me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I am also looking at Go! Card and this is the only thread on it. Any alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

same technology as ripwave, can be ok but very much depends on your location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

A bit of a bump of this post - anyone have any experience using Go! ?

Essentially I'm in Ranelagh & am comparing options for broadband (no fixed wireless allowed, no UPC (despite their website saying I could...), have a phone line but it is horrendously expensive -> line rental PLUS internet?)

I would use it for web browsing, email, skype, IM, occasional PS3 game & the odd torrent.

I am looking at the IBB Go! Plus (http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=57) as it's 1mb down/ 256k up with unlimited download (wonder how long that will last...)

or

Ripwave plus 20gb (http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=60) same speeds but with 20gb transfer cap

Obviously with the Ripwave I can just plug it over ethernet into a wifi router, but with the Go! (with its unlimited cap) could I get one of the Linksys WRT54G3G or Dlink DIR 451 PCMCIA wifi routers?

Having read about here it seems ripwave/go work for people but when they don't work they really fail so does anyone have any advice on whether I'd be disappointed?

Thanks,

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It won't work in a PCMCIA router. Only your PC.
    Ripwave is better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Shame it won't-why is that? different driver model to 3G UMTS style cards?

Regarding the Ripwave - how is it? purely dependant on the node i'm connecting to?

D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Regarding the Ripwave - how is it? purely dependant on the node i'm connecting to?
    D

Pretty much yeah. Although considering the changes that Imagine are putting into force now in terms of enforcing the AUP and bringing in caps the network has become alot more stable lately... customers will finally start to see speeds improve after the greedy users running torrents 24/7 will be rate limited if they start taking the piss.

the 3G/HSDPA is UMTS/3GPP spec W-CDMA on 2.1GHz

Ripwave is a semi-proprietary CDMA type system, but totally different modems and software on 3.6Hz/3.7GHz.

There are LOTS of different Radio systems incompatible with 3G/HSDPA and on PCMCIA, express card or USB. The routers that take PCMCIA cards don't even support all the 3G routers. The drivers are built in and can't be added by the user like a PC works.

The max speed on Ripwave is a lot lower than 3G/HSDPA anyway, and the signal is a lot poorer on the Go cards than the desktop/windowsill modem with big rabbit's ear. You can add an ethernet based WiFi router to it, so no need for Go card if you want a WiFi router.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

watty wrote: »
    the 3G/HSDPA is UMTS/3GPP spec W-CDMA on 2.1GHz

Ripwave is a semi-proprietary CDMA type system, but totally different modems and software on 3.6Hz/3.7GHz.

There are LOTS of different Radio systems incompatible with 3G/HSDPA and on PCMCIA, express card or USB. The routers that take PCMCIA cards don't even support all the 3G routers. The drivers are built in and can't be added by the user like a PC works.

The max speed on Ripwave is a lot lower than 3G/HSDPA anyway, and the signal is a lot poorer on the Go cards than the desktop/windowsill modem with big rabbit's ear. You can add an ethernet based WiFi router to it, so no need for Go card if you want a WiFi router.

True. It's not that the signals for the go card are poorer than Ripwave (same signals) but rather the built in ariel on the go card isn't as powerful as the three antennas (the rabbit's ear being only one) built into the Ripwave.

I was using "lies for children" Achilles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie's_World

Also the Ripwave "all in one" sits on the windowsill better than most laptops, where the signal can be x4 better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement