Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT question

Options
  • 29-01-2007 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently looking to import a car from the UK. The particular car has already been imported from Japan by the dealer. AFAIK he is going to register it in the UK.

I was talking to a friend and he thought that if a car is originally from Japan that you could get charged more on VRT than if the car was originally from the UK.

So even if the dealer in the UK registers the car in the UK, the VRT would be more expensive than if the car was originally from the UK

D'oh, hope I've explained myself here!

My question is this: Is VRT more expensive if the UK car being imported was originally from Japan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Well the are treated differntly, you can get a VRT quote on the revenue website, www.revenue.ie, just scroll to the bottom and click on the link to the calculator.

If you answer yes to the first question and get a quote, then try no and see what the difference is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Tried the VRT calculator. No joy. Tried a few different combinations and never get a quote :(

Advertisement