Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Outage Grrrrrrrr!

Options
  • 29-01-2007 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Not for the first time lately the power in the Kilcohan/Upper Ballytruckle/Cherrymount area has gone with neary a 'by-your-leave'. It ws back after about 4 mins but boy my PC ws pissed off, not to mention the clocks, video deck etc!

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

It was a biggie.. Faithlegg lost power too.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Trotter wrote:
    It was a biggie.. Faithlegg lost power too.

I'm off Barrack Street we lost power for about 10 minutes as well so it must have bee the whole city. Someone in the ESB probably pressed the wrong button :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

yep newtown area as well for 5 mins had to get the candles out !!!!
    Of course computer plucked in as well......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Aye, the whole city seemingly plunged into darkness for a while. Front doors were open and people were wandering over to their neighbours to find out what was going on! I'd hate to see what it would be like if we had to do with electricity for any longer period!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Yer, was busy 'studying' on the pc when it conked. Still though it gave me a great excuse to break out the big maglite and walk around like I was going to clock someone with it.
    Dunmore road area here by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

It was weird seen the whole place been plunged into darkness like that, i was outside when it happend and then when i heard sirens going off it felt like that sart of a horror movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Right then someone screwed up! bluesfan I'd say your joke is spot on, when switch-over takes place on the grid its not always very smooth.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I came home to a confused clock radio and microwave! (Farmleigh, Dunmore Road)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I didnt realise it was city-wide, but then it must have been since most of us on the Dunmore road (at least near Riverview) are on a seperate line to Ardkeen and Newtown. I wish I knew what the cause was exactly, I suspected that something tripped a local substation, and the auto-recloser just reset after 5/10 minutes. I was on the laptop at the time, so no hassle.

The odd thing is, the street lights didnt seem to go out, down by Islandview, where they are working on the pumping station, they still had power (probably have their own genny), and I was almost certain that the street lights on the dunmore road were still lighting.. ah well. Perhaps this is just a sign that the grid, which supposedly reached peak capacity a few years ago is starting to feel the strain during the peak demand hours that is 5-7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

There was a slight dip in power out in Tramore for a few seconds around 5:30, though the power didn't go out this time, it finished off a couple of "long life" low energy bulbs though.

We had a big outage out here a couple of weeks back, extending I think from Dunmore through Tramore over as far as Kilmac. It was weird, light dimmed down to about half power, my computers weren't happy at all, but didn't power down completely. It stay like that for about 5 minutes, then died completely for the rest of the night. I though the same thing was happening last night.

It's good to see that the ESB are earning their self awarded (in conjunction with the worthless energy "regulator") 20% price hike

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thought it was nice to see the place abit dark for a few min, I';m sure we can all live without electricy for a few min in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah it was out here in ardkeen too , it was odd. I agree with Cabaal , its no big deal. for most of us it is only an inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

JMcL wrote:
    We had a big outage out here a couple of weeks back, extending I think from Dunmore through Tramore over as far as Kilmac. It was weird, light dimmed down to about half power, my computers weren't happy at all, but didn't power down completely. It stay like that for about 5 minutes, then died completely for the rest of the night. I though the same thing was happening last night.

That one went all the way out past Bunmahon too! Must have been a biggie.

What? Its the End of the World when the power goes cos you can't be sure when it'll be back, here in Cherrymount we had a bad outage about 7-8 years back, we were off line for two nights (I think) cos some scummer had damaged the local substation box, they had to import one from England. Luckily it was'nt winter.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

mike65 wrote:
    What? Its the End of the World when the power goes cos you can't be sure when it'll be back, here in Cherrymount we had a bad outage about 7-8 years back, we were off line for two nights (I think) cos some scummer had damaged the local substation box, they had to import one from England. Luckily it was'nt winter.

Yed bethar be careful boy or I'll bust it again on ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

merlante wrote:
    Yed bethar be careful boy or I'll bust it again on ye.

I'm out of the country for the last 6 months and nothing makes me feel more at home than hearing that :)

Common thuggery or the use of 'old Waterford' langauge? :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MarkPH

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

about 15 years ago we were without power for just over 5 days. The whole of the Hook head was without power for at least a couple of days and we were one of the worst hit.

Oh, and it was out from the 23rd of December until the 28th. Yep, winter time and yep, Christmas time!

Back in the day out near Kilmeaden we lost power for 5 days after a summer electric storm, as we were the only house effected the ESB were'nt in any hurry! The same area lost power over Xmas for a week when that massive wind hit Ireland in Dec 26th in about 2001/02

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lady Thor

Electricity gone in the moonvoy area of tramore for the last 2 hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I have two trees and a fence gone tonight,nothing we can do about the elements I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

For thoese of you that dont get out much:) There is storm force winds at the moment causing problems with branches down on lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ilikeyourcow

My fence gone too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

For thoese of you that dont get out much:) There is storm force winds at the moment causing problems with branches down on lines.

and heading right over us, batten down the hatches folks.

Storm-10-june.gif

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Jaysus, have we not had a storm in over 6 years?

Advertisement