Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Price of a Firearms Cert

Options
  • 29-01-2007 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Anybody know the reason for the differing prices between a Firearms Cert for a shotgun and a rifle ? If I remember correctly its i E6 for a shotgun cert and E36 for a rifle cert. That's 6 times the price !!! Is there any good reason for this ? I cant see there being any difference in administration costs for processing the 2 applications

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

its an incentive to steer away from rifles

the 6 cert is for vermin

6 for an addition shotgun but another38 for you second rifle.

there was talk of putting multiple guns on a cert
    and lenthinging the perioid of the licence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Stupid question maybe but can you pay in Cash
    or does it have to be some sort of draft or cheque ?
    Am due to get my first cert in hopefully about a fortnight.

~B

no cash

and you make the cheque out to the super ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

bullets wrote:
    Stupid question maybe but can you pay in Cash
    or does it have to be some sort of draft or cheque ?
    Am due to get my first cert in hopefully about a fortnight.

~B
    Cash is fine, but they can't/won't give change at the counter, so have the exact amount ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

The 3 year licence kicks in this July so 3 times the ususal renewals, some of us with a "few" rifles and psitols are looking at a fair whak! Am off to see the bank manager:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, we hope it kicks in...

Sparks wrote:
    Well, we hope it kicks in...
    Tell me about it. :(
    A certain young man who I've been promising to put on 'Training Licences' for some of my guns since he turned 14 is going to be old enough to licence them himself before they come in, by the looks of how things are going.

The 3 year licence kicks in this July so 3 times the ususal renewals, some of us with a "few" rifles and psitols are looking at a fair whak! Am off to see the bank manager:(

HOW DO THEY JUSTIFY THAT??????

Three year licence, three times the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks wrote:
    Three year licence, three times the cost.

Surely we should be getting some sort of buying in bulk discount :D

On a more serious note, why is there even a license fee?? Is it really necessary. I know its probably worth a few million to the government but in the grand scale of things its peanuts.

What are the license fees used for, are they poured directly back into the sport?

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote:
    Surely we should be getting some sort of buying in bulk discount :D
    Costs coming down? In Ireland? :D
    On a more serious note, why is there even a license fee?? Is it really necessary. I know its probably worth a few million to the government but in the grand scale of things its peanuts.
    Who knows? Hell, there are solid economic assessments that point out that state-run trains spend more on the printing and tracking of tickets than they ever make back off of them, so they should just run a free service; but all I see are DART prices going up...
    What are the license fees used for, are they poured directly back into the sport?
    No, we never see a penny of them. Well. In theory we might - our stuff goes into the revenue coffers, and our sports grants come out of there, so some of what goes in one end might come out the other, but you could never tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

220,000 licences approx.

Let's assume 50/50 rifles/shotguns.

Probably in the €6-7 million region for "admin" :rolleyes: .

Yeah, but - 183 Superintendents, a few hundred more Firearms Officers, all working for about two or three days of the year processing applications - that's not pocket change. (And it's 160,000 shotguns, 60,000 rifles and less than 300 pistols at last count).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Sparks wrote:
    Yeah, but - 183 Superintendents, a few hundred more Firearms Officers, all working for about two or three days of the year processing applications - that's not pocket change. (And it's 160,000 shotguns, 60,000 rifles and less than 300 pistols at last count).

Probably closer to €6,000,000 then :D .

Or less!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Kramer wrote:
    Probably closer to €6,000,000 then :D .

Sure they would'nt miss my annual 113euro contribution then.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Sparks wrote:

looking at those figures leads me to thinking that us shooters are quite a small group of people considering that most of us have multiple certs:eek:

Hezz700 wrote:
    looking at those figures leads me to thinking that us shooters are quite a small group of people considering that most of us have multiple certs:eek:
    Yup. That's a revelation a lot of the noisiest voices in our representatives seem not to have received...

That said, there is the point that any mistreatment of minorities is intolerable. It's just that that principle does not extend to the minority's desires, just their needs and rights...

Hezz700 wrote:
    I'd surmise that there are a fair few more pistols licenced out there by now; quite how many, I don't know.

Even allowing for that, I'd (again) surmise that the numbers break down something along these lines:
    The vast majority of pistol licence holders also have other firearms, so that number can be pretty much discounted.
    Most of the rifle licence holders will probably also have a shotgun, so most of that number can be discounted too.
    Most of the remainder of the shotgun licence holders probably have only the one gun, so the total number of shotgun licences is probably closer to the actual number of licence holders (of all types) than the raw total of approximately 220,000+.

The minority (I'd suggest) of pistol and rifle owners who don't also have a shotgun would be pretty well balanced out by the people with more than one shotgun.

Again, this is all speculation on my part, but it looks reasonable to me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Id say divide the total by three id say thats around the average number of guns held per person.

• Advertisement
Advertisement