Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What tyres?

Options
  • 29-01-2007 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Gonna need some new rear tyres on the E46 320d, theyre 225/45/17

Anyone got any recommendations?
    I put up about 300 miles a week, I want something with a good grip and im on a total budget of around 130euro a tyre (incl. fitting would be nice)

I guess its an awkward time of the year to be buying, it's still winter but summer is only around the corner....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

My money would be on EAGLE F1 GS-D3s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

JohnCleary wrote:
    Gonna need some new rear tyres on the E46 320d, theyre 225/45/17

Anyone got any recommendations?
    I put up about 300 miles a week, I want something with a good grip and im on a total budget of around 130euro a tyre (incl. fitting would be nice)

I guess its an awkward time of the year to be buying, it's still winter but summer is only around the corner....

You wont get Eagle F1s for €130 fitted anyway. The F1s are a good tyre but you would be lucky to get a year from a set based on your mileage.

For about €150 a corner you'd get the likes of Bridgestone ER300 fitted. They grip well in both wet and dry and would provide very good mileage between swaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Tbh if you are testing a set of good middle of the road tyres to their limits the chances are you are driving too fast!

Got a set of BF Goodrich tyres for my car before christmas. Only 15"s, but pretty cheap at €70 fitted, and a significant improvement over the baldy Federals they replaced! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

fletch & Vevex - Thanks for the suggestions, gonna do a little research on them tomorrow and see what best prices I can come up with locally.

maidhc - Who said I was 'testing a set to their limits'? I need new tyres, tyres wear, its a fact of life

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

JohnCleary wrote:
    maidhc - Who said I was 'testing a set to their limits'? I need new tyres, tyres wear, its a fact of life

Not suggesting it at all. Just was expecting a flood of messages saying Toyo Proxes grip better than Pirellis etc.

I think good mid range tyres offer the best blend of performance/value.

• Advertisement

M - Fair enough, thought you were implying I was acting th eejit or something. I only just got the car, tyres had very little thread when I bought it. She currently has Pireli P6000's on the rear.

I'm after a mix of value for money & performance with the change in season... Is that possible I wonder?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

VeVeX wrote:
    You wont get Eagle F1s for €130 fitted anyway. The F1s are a good tyre but you would be lucky to get a year from a set based on your mileage.

For about €150 a corner you'd get the likes of Bridgestone ER300 fitted. They grip well in both wet and dry and would provide very good mileage between swaps.

I got my Eagle F1 DS3s 225/45/17's in from eiretyres for €125 each and fitted in Sandyford for €11.50 each. Fantastic tyres.

redman wrote:
    I got my Eagle F1 DS3s 225/45/17's in from eiretyres for €125 each and fitted in Sandyford for €11.50 each. Fantastic tyres.

Gonna ring a few places tomorrow and see what kind of prices I can get on these. Mind me asking why you think theyr efantastic? Good grip, last long, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Dont listen to anyone who says that average run of the mill tyres are good enough. At the end of the day it doesnt matter what kind of abs, traction control or 6pot calipers you have, if the tyres are average your car will never stop in as short a distance as it should. All that connects yoiu to the road are 4 pieces of rubber, at least get the best out there.

My advice is get the eagle f1's for the summer, great dry weather tyre. The brigstone potenzas are the daddy in the wet and grip well in the dry too.

The E46 320d is a decent handling car, it deserves decent tyres, and despite what people will tell you, you will notice a difference. And you wont have to have the car on the limit either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Eagle f1s are generally considered the best tyres you can get without getting into really silly money.

As a cheaper alternative uniroyal rainsports are supposed to be pretty good in the dry and excellent in the wet and considering our climate are a pretty safe bet :)

• Advertisement

Nice one for all the info folks ;)

When I get hom eon the weekend im gonna start ringing around

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

cheapest place is likely to be that eiretyres.com (i think thats it) website

Advertisement