Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions about reinstalling Vista upgrade

• 29-01-2007 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

I am planning to buy Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade tomorrow from Argos. I will be upgrading from Windows XP Home Edition SP2 but first I need to know if I install Vista and my PCs data gets damaged from a virus or if I need to do a fresh install. Can I format and just reinstall Vista as many times as I want? or do I have to install Windows XP again then install Vista? And does Vista Home Premium support 64bit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

with vista upgrade you have to have a previous version of windows installed. they want you to buy the retail version if you want to do a fresh install :eek: see here http://tinyurl.com/2fxrv5
    afaik there are 2 versions of vista, 64 and 32 bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It'll be the same as all previous "upgrade" versions of Windows. If you have to format the machine, you'll need to install XP first, then upgrade to Vista. Luckily though you won't have to fully patch XP again to upgrade it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Don't install the 64-bit version it will not be properly supported by third party apps until at least a year or so into Vista's life time you will only be giving yourself a headache. Also this is (edit) now confirmed that the 64-bit version does not upgrade/migrate it is only capable of performing clean installs no matter if your serial key is for the upgrade type so backup your data beforehand should you take that route.

seamus is spot on the 32-bit upgrade version will only upgrade XP from within Windows XP itself.

The Vista upgrade process is much improved over XP's it does not upgrade over the XP OS the files for XP stay behind in a windows.old folder which you can freely delete or keep at your pleasure. Vista migrates your apps and data over to it's own install so it keeps things going wrong to a minimum sort of a "near clean" install.

Vista also has a better repair system than XP in the event something goes kaput boot from the Vista DVD and you will be presented with a few choices;

* Startup Repair - automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting.
    * System Restore - restores Windows to an earlier point in time
    * Windows Complete PC Restore - restore your entire computer from a backup. You must have created a backup before you can use this option.
    * Windows Memory Diagnostics - checks your computer for memory hardware errors
    * Command Prompt - opens a command prompt window

One of which should get you back up & running without having to re-install XP/Vista, of course should the HD fail in that scenario you will need to re-install XP but you can install Vista once it is up & running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Absolut

cashman wrote:
    I am planning to buy Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade tomorrow from Argos.

As fas as I know, Argos are charging €220 for Home Premium Upgrade. It's a bit steep compared to the likes of Overclockers.co.uk (the OEM version works out at about €125 delivered - it's OEM - which means it's linked to the machine you first install it on (so if you make any substantial change, ie change the motherboard, you need to, in theory, buy a new licence) but if you plan on keeping your current system as it is (ie you can upgrade everything except the motherboard without having to get a new licence - and even if you do change the motherboard, then it's unlikely you'll need to get a new licence, although it's a possibility) for the foreseeable future then you end up saving at least €100.

If you have any students in your household, then Micromail are selling the Academic version of Home Premium Upgrade for €90 - here - saving €130. A bargain if you can find somebody with a college id card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

suppose this will work if you dont change your hardware

install your xp
    activate it
    ghost drive to a dvd
    upgrade to vista

to re-install
    restore ghost image from dvd
    upgrade to vista

• Advertisement
Advertisement