Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

proof of purchase?

Options
  • 29-01-2007 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

i bought something last week and i want to return it. i don't have the receipt but the transaction is on my credit card statement. is this enough for proof of purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Not really as unless the retailer has a POS system that records the card details linked to the transaction then they have no match other than the paper copy. PC-World for example can do this but most using normal CC terminals have no such facility.

You can try with the retailer but if it fails contact the CC provider and dispute the charge. That should force the retailer to search through their paper records.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Yeah, really depends on what system they are using. What does it say on your statement? Sometimes it will say the business name on it. Most retilers can be good at accepting it as a return from their store....but you might have to go directly to the manager as customer services might try and stick to the company rule book.

it helps as well if the product you bought was only availble from their stores...ie St. Bernard branded items from Dunnes Stores or Advent from PC World.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

catch--22 wrote:
    Yeah, really depends on what system they are using. What does it say on your statement? Sometimes it will say the business name on it. Most retilers can be good at accepting it as a return from their store....but you might have to go directly to the manager as customer services might try and stick to the company rule book.

it helps as well if the product you bought was only availble from their stores...ie St. Bernard branded items from Dunnes Stores or Advent from PC World.
    i'm not so much talking about whether it suits their system or not. afaik all a customer has to do is provide proof of purchase, which does not necessarily have to be a receipt. whether their system is set up for it or not doesn't really matter

But if you go back to them with a credit card statement which has no information on it but a charge to the card for the same price as the item you bought....you can't really expect that to be proof of purchase?

What I meant by their system was.....some stores can check the sales of certain products on credit cards....it should show them the product and the last 4 didgits of your card...if it does...there's your proof of purchase. But if they don't have a system like that (ie most small retailers) it's down to you to prove it....and its going to be very difficult.

Can I ask what happened to your recipt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

Vimes why do you post on the consumer issues board when you know nothing about your own consumer rights?

Vimes you dont need proof of purchase. And if you do have a credit card statement that is proof of purchase. Also your credit card should offer another level of protection called a chargeback.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Vimes why do you post on the consumer issues board when you know nothing about your own consumer rights?

Is he not just asking a question?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

So that he can find out about his rights ?
    Vimes you dont need proof of purchase. And if you do have a credit card statement that is proof of purchase. Also your credit card should offer another level of protection called a chargeback.

Why a chargeback ? He has the goods. We don't yet know why he wants to return them. A chargeback is for situations where you haven't received the goods or received shoddy goods and the retailer won't deal with you etc etc.

who said i know nothing? i know quite a bit about my consumer rights because i read the website i linked you to in the other thread. i couldn't find a list of what was acceptable for proof of purchase so i asked here
    Vimes you dont need proof of purchase.
    so not only can i damage stuff and demand replacements, i can do so without even proving i bought it from them? wow

from the same website:
    If things go wrong

If you have a problem with an item that you have bought it is always the seller who should put things right. As a general rule, the seller can either repair or replace the item. Alternatively, they can refund the costs of the item or service to the consumer.

If you are not satisfied with the quality of goods or services you can:

* Return the goods to the supplier who sold it to you (you should not return the goods to the manufacturer)
    * Act as soon as you can – a delay can indicate that you have accepted faulty goods or services
    * Do not attempt to repair the item yourself or give it to anyone else to repair it
    * Make sure that you have a proof of purchase (a receipt, cheque stub, credit card statement or invoice)

and having looked there just now i can see that a credit card statement is acceptable :)

maybe you should stop posting in the forum until you find out a bit about the subject or at least stop telling people who took the time to look up the facts that they're wrong

Cabaal wrote:
    Is he not just asking a question?
    its a reference to another thread where i'm trying to convince him that he can't piss on his phone* and demand a new one

*slight exaggeration. he insists he should be able to water damage his phone and get a new one for free because ireland has a wet climate
    parsi wrote:
    Why a chargeback ? He has the goods. We don't yet know why he wants to return them. A chargeback is for situations where you haven't received the goods or received shoddy goods and the retailer won't deal with you etc etc.
    this is correct. a chargeback is for when you bought something from someone who's dodgy.

i had two items that i had to return and i can confirm that the credit card statement was accepted

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

its a reference to another thread where i'm trying to convince him that he can't piss on his phone* and demand a new one

*slight exaggeration. he insists he should be able to water damage his phone and get a new one for free because ireland has a wet climate

you've got to be kidding me?
    How could anyone be so thick as to think they'd have a valid point by arguing this or something even near to this as a reason for getting a new phone :rolleyes:

Cabaal wrote:
    you've got to be kidding me?
    How could anyone be so thick as to think they'd have a valid point by arguing this or something even near to this as a reason for getting a new phone :rolleyes:
    he rang consumer affairs or whoever and the person told him that he can return something "if he's not entirely happy with it" and that there are no conditions. here's the thread if you want a read
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055042434

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

he rang consumer affairs or whoever and the person told him that he can return something "if he's not entirely happy with it" and that there are no conditions. here's the thread if you want a read
    Don't forget my personal favorite of 6 (yes six) year warranty (and all the proof is his phonecall to a pro customer agency with out anything else backing it up)...

Nody wrote:
    Don't forget my personal favorite of 6 (yes six) year warranty (and all the proof is his phonecall to a pro customer agency with out anything else backing it up)...

Ye of little faith....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The credit card statement is a proof of purchase for faultys etc ... but I don't believe the shop has to accept it if you simply change your mind. Right?

ciaranfo wrote:
    The credit card statement is a proof of purchase for faultys etc ... but I don't believe the shop has to accept it if you simply change your mind. Right?
    they don't have to but most shops do

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Your receipt is your guarantee as far as I'm concerned.

eo980 wrote:
    Your receipt is your guarantee as far as I'm concerned.
    fortunately the law is a bit more lax than that and if you work in retail that belief could probably get you in trouble

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

LMAO , obviously he's delusional as well if he thinks anyone from the ODCA or similiar told him he can return something if he changes his mind :p:p:p:p:p , though i genuinely do think that people when they ring up these places hear what they want to hear and dont actually listen to what they're being told given some of the muppets that i have to deal with

to the OP , proof of purchase can be anything like a cheque stub , credit card statement etc

Advertisement