Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oakleys

• 29-01-2007 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Just wondering can anyone give me any advice on Oakley shades? I do a lot of rowing and as it's started to get a bit brighter I'm looking into getting a pair as I've heard they're the best for watersports etc. I know this isn't exactly a sports forum but would anyone be able to direct me to a review site or a site where I might be able to get them at a slightly cheaper price?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Just wondering can anyone give me any advice on Oakley shades? I do a lot of rowing and as it's started to get a bit brighter I'm looking into getting a pair as I've heard they're the best for watersports etc. I know this isn't exactly a sports forum but would anyone be able to direct me to a review site or a site where I might be able to get them at a slightly cheaper price?
    Cheers

Do a few searches on google for them. Perhaps M Frames or the Waterjacket would be the most suitable for you - the latter being a watersports specific, the M frame having the ability to switch lenses according to light conditions. Getting them cheap? Arnotts have always knocked 10-15% off them during their new year sale or if you go to an independant optician they may be willing to knock a few quid off. The only other thing to do is get someone to post them from the states or bring them back from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Pretty sure Brown Thomas stock Oakley, or at least they used to. Or the Sunglass Hut maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

I'm actually a rower myself, so I know what you're talkin about!

It would appear as if Oakley 'sponsor' the majority of rowers in this country with the amount of tinted shades you see at every regatta. So, succumbing to peer pressure, I also decided to invest in a pair of oakleys.

I picked up a nice pair of 'Splice' style rims with Emerald Green lenses. 165$ in duty free Sunglass Hut compared to 205euro in Brown Thomas. I find they work very well for rowing; they sit very lightly so there is no discomfort or itching, lens tint is perfect for water reflection and hey, they look pretty cool as well!

M-Frames are also pretty popular among athletes although they dont look as good away from the sport in normal environments if you understand me. Also, if you dont want to break the bank and join the swelling groups of rowers with Oakleys, take a look at Bolle. A rower I know had these and they were highly recommended by him. I wore a pair skiing once as well and they were very effective as well.

Anyways, hope this helps. Enjoy the rowing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I got my m frames with a couple of different lenses in an outlet store in the US. They weren't much cheaper than the duty free price quoted above.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

maybe have a look at half jackets or hlaf jackets XLJ, if they suit your face they are much more useful away from sports too. m frames etc are very popular with cyclists/runners etc too but I prefer the half jackets as I don't feel like such a pratt wearing them!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement