Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Polish Lucky Charms

• 29-01-2007 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Ok, not talking about the cereal before someone posts a pic!

Trying to help out the gf with a project shes doing for college. She needs to find out what people from Poland consider lucky. The same way we consider a rabbits foot, four leaf clovers etc. as giving good fortune. Any ideas? Great if one of our Polski visitors could help us out here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lister1 wrote:

She needs to find out what people from Poland consider lucky.

More than 1 euro an hour?

:D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

Hehe, will tell her that one!

Any legit ideas though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Just from knowing a few Polish people ...

... knocking on wood (much as some Irish people would do, to ward away bad luck or catastrophe)

... red, especially a knot tied in a red string or ribbon or whatever

... getting hit by bird droppings :confused:
    (no, I'm not taking the mick, but I can't absolutely guarantee that he wasn't pulling my leg: he seemed serious, though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac
    Banned for making me laugh to hard.
    getting hit by bird droppings
    there are plenty of Irish people who thing the same thing.

julep wrote:
    there are plenty of Irish people who thing the same thing.
    Really? I've never heard it here. Can't say I feel lucky when I get splattered! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

yep. had a bird crap on my head one day and was then told that it was lucky. didn't feel lucky.

anyway. check this out: http://www.warsawvoice.pl/archiwum.phtml/11684/

Interesting, esp. this bit:

When greeting someone, you might suddenly be told not to do it over the threshold. There is a conviction that all border lines need special protection, as they separate secure indoor spaces from the chaos outside. Thus the custom to carry the bride over the threshold, practiced all over the world.

There's a similar old Irish superstition, but it more sees boundaries as sources of power as well as of danger, as far as I can remember. Lots of old sagas and tales have heros / heroines born on boundaries ... between territories, on the shore, even on door thresholds.

As far as I recall, St. Brigid's mother is supposed to have been seized with labour on the threshold of the house, and gave birth to Brigid there ... probably a bit of the legend of the old pagan Goddess which survived into the Christian story.

Someone did a study on children's burial grounds some years back, and found that the great majority of them were associated with boundaries of one sort or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

i love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Thanks for the link julep. Was just what I was looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I dont know if its helpful...but I dated (briefly) a Polish girl at work last year and she told me that when a guy asks a girl out where she was from, for good luck the girl should let the guy ask her out on a date three times before accepting.

Dont know if she was yanking my chain though.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac
    priceless, brekkie all over the screen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    For good luck the girl should let the guy ask her out on a date three times before accepting.

You would probably get to asking her out twice, before her skin head boyfriend lurks out of the shadows to practice his gymnastics on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Lister1 wrote:
    The same way we consider a rabbits foot

Yep
    All Irish people keep a severed rabbits foot on a rope around our necks for good luck :)

Advertisement