Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fat 32 or NTFS?

• 29-01-2007 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

OK which one do I go for? Im installing win xp pro on a dell

p3 800 mhz
    512 mb ram
    30 gig hdd

So which do I go for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The only thing I don't like about NTFS is when you change to it then you can't go back to FAT32 unless you format (or use a partition utility which is still a pain in the backside).
    I think there are some filesize limitations for storing files on FAT32 (could be files no larger than 4GB), someone confirm or deny?

Probably best stick with NTFS, its meant to be more secure also. Actually I'm not sure you will notice much of a difference with speed. You are pushing your 800mhz to the limit there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I think there are some filesize limitations for storing files on FAT32 (could be files no larger than 4GB)
    Quite correct.

FAT32 is quite an old file system. Unless you have a specific reason to use it, use NTFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

ok thanks guys, i went with NTFS(quick). whats the difference between NTFS (quick) and NTFS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

As far as I know NTFS Quick formats the drive without checking for bad sectors, not a good idea, especially on an old drive. I'd always go for NTFS Full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

NTFS is a much more secure and reliable system, dont use Fat32 unless you absolutly have to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

oisin wrote:
    As far as I know NTFS Quick formats the drive without checking for bad sectors, not a good idea, especially on an old drive. I'd always go for NTFS Full.

I don't think full format does a bad sector check. It's just for new hard drives that haven't had a low level format yet (like in the old days when you'd get floppy disks that you had to format before using). Quick format simply erases the old filesystem and puts on the new filesystem. Quick is the best option unless you have a specific need for full.

After you install, you can run chkdsk /R from the command prompt to check for bad sectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Microsoft say that the normal format scans for bad disk sectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

ok cool thanks lads, Its intstalled now, the bare bones of windows are up and running now. again thanks :)

Advertisement