Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test on Wednesday morning and car giving problems

Options
  • 29-01-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, my wife is doing her driving test on Wednesday morning and today the car (opel corsa enjoy 1L 03) decides it won't change gear. A friend looked at it tonight and said it was the plastic selectors (ball joints) are worn. It's too late to order a car from the driving instructor school and I believe car hire firms won't rent to Someone with a provisional license (or am I wrong on that one?). Also on the "Final checks for your driving test" sheet, it says vehicles hired for a driving test are not generally insured for undertaking a driving test. Does anyone have any experience regarding this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, she's waited for over a year for this test....

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Do ya not know any instructors, ring loads of private ones, they are allowed come on the test with you if you are driving their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mr.Mond

That was a quick reply, cheers.... I shall start ringing around in the morn.....

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Do ya not know any instructors, ring loads of private ones, they are allowed come on the test with you if you are driving their car.
    What?!?! What planet do you live on? That's rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Mr.Mond wrote:
    on the "Final checks for your driving test" sheet, it says vehicles hired for a driving test are not generally insured for undertaking a driving test.

D

Hmmm......... I'd imagine that this is the case if you take the rental company's insurance. However, if you make a temporary substitution of vehicle on your wife's insurance then it will be the same policy as she would have used if she was using her own Corsa. The real problem is finding a rental company that will rent to a provisional licence holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

could you book the car in for repair and explain you need a replacement car, your wifes policy may cover a replacement car while hers is off the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Mr.Mond

Thanks everyone for the feedback, she eventually got a polo from the instructor after lots of begging. Hope she gets the test now..... ;-)

D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Make sure she drives it a good bit before the test. She will need to be comfotable with it. the test will be stressfull enough without doing it in a different car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Can't she just transfer her insurance over to your car for the day ?

I did this for my test after someone ripped off my wing mirror :(

Costs nothing afaik. She could even borrow a friends car if needs be :)

Advertisement