Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ubuntu help

• 29-01-2007 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

hey guys just installed ubuntu 6.06 im quite the noob to linux os's so i need a bit of help when i try to access a partion i#on my hdd it tells me "You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "disks-conf-hdb1"." this is quite an urgent prob as all my mp3s are stored there how do i get around this prob and/or what do u need to know

thanks in advance

MR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

maybe access is through sudo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ntfs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mensreas

SyxPak wrote:
    Ntfs?
    yeah the file sys for the hdd is ntfs please dont tell me unix os cant access ntfs like i said i really dont no what im at but thats ok think:confused:

oh and ive downloaded sudo but im not to sure what to do with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I haven't really used ubuntu but I'm just after modifying my settings to give users access to a ntfs partition for the same reason actually. I edited /etc/fstab the file that tells the system how to mount partitions.
    the significant line now reads:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/ntfs ntfs defaults,noatime,rw,user,umask=0000 0 0

yours will prob read:

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/something ntfs defaults,noatime,rw,user,umask=0000 0 0

I just added user to allow users to mount it and umask=0000 to give everyone read/write access. that's not very well explained so feel free to ask if something's not clear.

you will need to be root to edit /etc/fstab btw.

• Advertisement

apperently im alot more out of my depth than i thought i really had not a notion what u just said the only thing i can say is that i am root (admin?) after that im lost im currently trying to get the hang of terminal with little to no sucsess and just to remind every one i only installed this about an hour and a half ago so bear wit me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm not the best person to be guiding you here because I'm not familiar with ubuntu and am no expert in general. But if in the terminal, as root, you type
    nano /etc/fstab
    nano being a text editor, I use it in gentoo and i believe it comes with ubuntu too.
    then look for the line starting with /dev/hdb1 as that's the ntfs partition you're trying to mount I believe.
    each line has the syntax
    device mount-point filesystem mount-options 0 0
    the filesystem should be ntfs on that line.i forget what the last two are, about checking or something, they aren't important at the moment anyway.
    it's the mount options you want to change. It will currently prob just be defaults. Add user,umask=0000 so that it looks like defaults,user,umask=0000
    then press ctrl+x to close, say yes when it asks you to save. you then have to remount the partition with the new setup. the easiest way to do that is prob to restart the computer.
    Here a link with more info if you want more detail
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131

EDIT: Oh and if you get some permission denied error when trying to open /etc/fstab try sudo nano /etc/fstab

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mensreas wrote:
    the only thing i can say is that i am root (admin?)

Nope, no such thing as a root account in Ubuntu. You're just a standard user as is. To run commands requiring super-user permissions you need to prefix them with sudo

Something like the following typed in the terminal might get your NTFS disk mounted and readable:
    sudo mkdir /media/windows
    sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /media/windows

ok sounds good slowly gettin the hang of it thanks a lot for the help will try it as sound as possible (could be a long night):D im sure ill be back for more thanjks again ur a life saver

MR

Advertisement