Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of cycling gear do I need?

Options
  • 29-01-2007 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I am about to start my new cycling journey into the city and I am not sure what type of gear is best to cyce in so want any suggestions.
    There is a shower in work so I will be just wearing clothes for cyclyng. I want to simply stay dry and warm. It is about a 40 minute cycle. I was hoping to pick up someting in TK Max but I just don't know what would be good any advise would be cool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

My cycle is a similar length and I have a shower at either end.
    This time of the year I am wearing:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Similar enough to myself, today I had...
    oh, and a pair of slim, lengthy wristbands. Not for the sweat, but to plug that gap between your glove and the end of your jersey, perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

If you haven't cycled a huge amount and are just going to start I wouldn't spend a huge amount of money on clothing. Aldi and Lidl sell cycling shirts/shorts etc. While they are not the best quality they would be good enough to see if you like cycling in and out.

The most important items (IMHO) are a good jacket and trousers that will keep you dry in the rain.

Equipment today:
    Helmet
    Nike Storm Fit Jacket
    Aldi Long sleeve t-shirt
    Altura short (not sure which model)
    tracksuit bottoms
    runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

whatever i'm wearing to college is usually my choice! This time of year it's generally two tshirts, a pair of jeans, a well worn pair of nike cortez crappy runners, hoody and gloves. lost my scarf about a week ago, so i'd usually have that too.

My commute is shorter, about 25 mins. but in my opinion ya don't need all that fancier stuff. When it rains i wear waterproof trousers (10quid in millets) and a rain jacket. The only thing i'd recommend is a pair of shoe covers for rain. If it's really nasty rain, i just grab the bus.

The whole idea of cycling is to keep things cheap! So don't go spending a fortune on fancy gear. You'll learn what ya need as ya go.

As for the whole shower thing, i don't absolutely horse it in on the bike. i do go fast enough, but not enough to be a sweaty mess when i get into college/work.

Whatever you do buy btw, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE LIGHTS! Fookin essential!

my 2c.

EDIT: Helmet if you're so inclined. I have one. Don't wear it. Might be a good investment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

This time of year:-

1. Altura Gloves
    2. HH Baselayer
    3. SPD's
    4. Regular Cyling Shorts with bibtights over
    5. Gore Alp X top
    6. Overshoes (if wet)
    7 Skull cap (ALtura) if needed
    8. Giro HELMET

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

These earmuffs are good and they fit nicely with a helmet. I've seen them in TKMaxx the odd time so you might get lucky and find a pair.

WARNING the linked-to page has sound on it so be careful if you're in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Keep it simple - DOn't go out and spend hundreds in a bike shop. Just stick with a tracksuit and some light raingear for the first few weeks, and then maybe see what bits are uncomfortable for you. Do make sure you are visible, with lights and high-vis vest/jacket.

I second the advice about not buying expensive gear straight away. I started out just with my regular sports gear that I already owned (shorts, tracksuit, runners etc...). Then I discovered that I actually really like cycling, so I've been buying bits and pieces ever since. That was 5 or 6 years ago now, so I don't mind buying a pricier bit of gear as I know that I'll get great use out of it

P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Drapper wrote:
    This time of year:-

1. Altura Gloves
    2. HH Baselayer
    3. SPD's
    4. Regular Cyling Shorts with bibtights over
    5. Gore Alp X top
    6. Overshoes (if wet)
    7 Skull cap (ALtura) if needed
    8. Giro HELMET

Pfft - you don't need all that. My cycling gear is:
    Cheap runners
    German 3/4 combats
    Ventillated t-shirt
    Pair of neoprene windsurfing gloves
    Decent helmet

and at night
    Flourescent waistcoat

Pfft - you don't need all that.

it's not always about needing ;)

• Advertisement

Pfft - you don't need all that.

indeed I do with 20mile cycle eachway! I'd rather not get saddle rash with a tracksuit burning me lower reagions and expossed to the rain! proper gear is important for any sport really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Drapper wrote:
    indeed I do with 20mile cycle eachway! I'd rather not get saddle rash with a tracksuit burning me lower reagions and expossed to the rain! proper gear is important for any sport really...

I trained for an olympic triathlon on a hardrock wearing nothing special but shorts, boxers and a tshirt and never got saddle rash. Would have been doing 50k training rides. the only proper gear i had was a decent pair of running shoes and a wetsuit. I put aerobars on the bike, but nothing special. I don't think this "proper gear" thing really matters, unless you're an top end athlete. Just use what works!

cunnins4 wrote:
    I trained for an olympic triathlon on a hardrock wearing nothing special but shorts, boxers and a tshirt and never got saddle rash. Would have been doing 50k training rides. the only proper gear i had was a decent pair of running shoes and a wetsuit. I put aerobars on the bike, but nothing special. I don't think this "proper gear" thing really matters, unless you're an top end athlete. Just use what works!

fair enough! but its comfort i'm after and shorts and tshirt in January temps everyday does not keep the cold at bay! you gotta dress accordingly! or pay with colds and bugs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have been cycling to work a shorter distance for a long time so have the regular stuff. I could just wear normal clothes as it wasn't a strain. This new trip is pretty tuff. I don't want to be wearing my cheap rain gear or getting soaked through with heavy water absorbing material.

I just wanted to get the heads up on what is the best type of stuff. TK maxx had a lot of suitable gear but I wasn't sure which would be best.

Another question on general cycle gear are there any kind of different reflective vests? I kind of wanted one that had a design maybe.:o

Advertisement