Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas to develop Angling Board

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Crimbo

I see garymaxima has been banned. Maybe if the mods were as quick to ban the open naming of venues as they were to ban this user some of our waters might be in a healthier condition. This is supposed to be an angling forum but if the forum continues to name good spots it's only a matter of time before these places are no longer good spots but end up litter strewn rubbish dumps devoid of fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 madcyril

hi all,

noob to the board here as well.

I've been fishing since I was 6. that's 29 years at it now.

I fell in love with rock and shore fishing. I mostly freeline in different conditions these days.

Maybe we could have free-lining section? ... for all us tight arsed fishers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

just get stuck in madcyril, good posters will respond.

great to see so many interesting posts this week.

i'd like a sticky for low importance and nonsense posts, similar to the bad beat sticky in the poker section.

maybe we could use this sticky for the moment?

i have many questions and points to ask but i don't want to waste people's time by opening a new thread for each one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 madcyril

thanks doc.

never joined an angling forum before, can't think why.

at least I have somewhere now to show off a catch! ... coz my wife certainly couldn't care less ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

just get stuck in madcyril, good posters will respond.

great to see so many interesting posts this week.

i'd like a sticky for low importance and nonsense posts, similar to the bad beat sticky in the poker section.

maybe we could use this sticky for the moment?

i have many questions and points to ask but i don't want to waste people's time by opening a new thread for each one....

I'd say there's no harm in a new thread for each Doc. I think a lot of people just take up fishing off their own back and are generally relying on little tit-bits of information that they pick up from anywhere. It's not like a sports club where you have coaches etc to show you where you are going wrong. Fishing by it's nature is a pass time that people use to spend time on their own, but it's not really conducive to learning (or even realising!!) your mistakes!!

Thats purely from personal experience by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm gonna leave it as new threads for the moment - its great to see some good momentum & new members on board (welcome madcyril).

If posting keep running this high, I'll throw it open to more development ideas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sickofcats

Couple of things that might help Develop / draw more traffic to this area

(1) A list of Stocked Fisheries (Lakes) both coarse and Trout along with contact info

(2) Day ticket/ yearly license Prices for club controlled rivers.

(3) There are posts that appear every so often...' I want to learn to Fly Fish'..... Why dont we try and organise a day out and encourage these guys/gals to come along and learn the art of Fly Fishing, even if its a day of stockie bashing?

I realise 1 and 2 will take a bit of effort but there are enough posters around to help out with what local information thats available to em to maybe post it here...

Just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Hi.

The CFB website has some info on the fishing in most regions around the country. Here's a link to the sea fishing in the eastern region as an example:

http://www.cfb.ie/fishing_in_ireland/sea/east.htm

I agree with not giving away too much to some people, for all the obvious reasons. Most of us wouldn't even consider admitting we fish to certain people, but we may easily spill the beans to others, and who's to say the guys we trusted won't blab good info to the wrong or too many people, even by accident.

However, I've always wondered what the fishing was like from locations in my area (north county Dublin) other than the typical pier spot - off the rocks, between the islands, etc.

To be told that it could be worth trying for [enter species here] from [enter general area here] without actually being given best baits, exact spots, states of tide, etc, would be great. Only a genuine angler is going to hump his gear all the way to some of the rock marks I'm thinking of - the opportunist would probably walk on by.

So how about something that carries similar info to the cfb website - listing species that have been (rather than just thoeretically should be) caught from a location, what baits worked and didn't, what access was like, any special safety info on a location, etc.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

What about a list of Rigs, how there made and what you think they work best on ??
    I know its easy to walk into a shop and be handed these in packs but surely for a newbie who wants to get going a detailed section on whats needed, hook sizes, diy rig making, and what rigs they use when they are looking to target a specific fish etc would stand them in much better stead ?? , not looking for everyones secrets just a general diy set up

sorry if this has already been covered I was too lazy to do a search !!

Advertisement