Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Science

• 30-01-2007 1:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Was watching Dr Ben Goldacre on the Panel this evening and checked out his website which is excellent. I especially like his comments on postmodernists and the anti evidence-based medicine crowd. www.badscience.net

Anyone else got some good links?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The guardian also do a similarly titled article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/badscience/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

I just watched him on the panel in the RTE archives. Laughed so hard I am actually clutching my sides in very serious pain.
    So thanks,...
    ...I think.

If anyone is interested in this area they should find the Irish Sceptics organisation. I heard a talk by one of the organisation years ago and it was exactly what is only coming to the fore now. Well worth a look if you can track them down.

My sides are still sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

The Irish Skeptics are having one of their regular public lectures tomorrow night which will be of interest to anyone interested in psychology. Dr. Gary O'Reilly of the UCD Dept of Psychology is giving a talk entitled 'Intelligence: A Critical Review of its Nature and Evolution'. The details are here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Thanks for the badscience link Julius. Perhaps it's already been mentioned elsewhere, but there's some very good stuff to be found here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I never seem to be able to get to any of the Skeptic's lectures and am very disappointed (with myself!) Are the talks written up anywhere?

• Advertisement

Go here for all the details. You can subscribe on the left hand side of the page to be notified of upcoming events. You'll see they have had a great series of interesting lectures over the last few years. I didn't get to the talk either but heard it was a full house again (100+) and was very well received. They are also hosting the ECSO conference in Dublin this year and have confirmed speakers like Dr. Michael Shermer, Professor Vic Stenger, Professor Massimo Pigliucci and Professor John Crown. Other big names are in the pipeline.

Oops ... just realised JC that you probably meant if the actual content of the talks is written up anywhere ... no, not at the moment.

Advertisement