Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

truth about tallaght IT???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Lemming wrote:

As an aside, how many GAA-soc players do you know who play on senior teams (or appear on their way to play on senior teams)?

Are you serious have you any knowledge about the gaa teams in the college there are lads off it played for dublin seniors. The footballers play in the highest league and highest cup. We are ahead of some unversitys. And as im sure your well aware your not allowed spend the money on drink.

I completly agree with the other poster with the wat he feels about handing for instance a karting time x amount of euro so that they can go karting twice a week it doesnt eem practicle to me.

Look in tomorrows papers and id say it tallaght gaa will be in every single one of hem

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

ANXIOUS wrote:
    Are you serious have you any knowledge about the gaa teams in the college there are lads off it played for dublin seniors. The footballers play in the highest league and highest cup. We are ahead of some unversitys.

First of all, I think you'll find that all of the people you've just collectively mentioned were probably already on the way to senior level before they so much as went near the college GAA-soc. The guy I was in college with never played for the soc because he was kept well busy training outside of collge.

Put another way, how many players at serious competitive level (ie. inter-county) play exclusively for the GAA-soc and have only managed to play at that level because of joining the GAA-soc? I'd hazard a guess at utterly, utterly zero.

Yes it's a good thing to have around, and I'm not arguing against sports socs. I'm just pointing out that labelling a college crap and whinging about the perceived lack of your sports facilities is an idotic stance to take.

And as im sure your well aware your not allowed spend the money on drink.

Eeee heh. heh. heh. That's never stopped them before ....... and I saw plenty of funds being p*ssed up against a wall. Not to mention the blind eye that was turned by the college authorities simply because it was the sports socs.
    I completly agree with the other poster with the wat he feels about handing for instance a karting time x amount of euro so that they can go karting twice a week it doesnt eem practicle to me.

And I notice that you completely missed the point about what the concept of a college provides you with ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Lemming wrote:
    Yes it's a good thing to have around, and I'm not arguing against sports socs. I'm just pointing out that labelling a college crap and whinging about the perceived lack of your sports facilities is an idotic stance to take.....

I think you may have missed what I was saying. What I was trying to explain is that Karting takes a lot more funds then GAA to be involved in, yet GAA is slightly (financially) easier to become involved in then Karting on a professional level.

I was arguing that giving more money to Karting then GAA was wrong because the GAA society bring recognition to the school. I think that a GAA society is a wonderful oppurunity for young people to enagage in our national pastime

http://www.ittdublin.ie/current/studentservicesfacilities/sportsrecreation/clubssocieties/atozofclubsandsocieties/gaaclub/ (GAA Club link)

A Quote About the Hurling Society, linked in under GAA Club
    The Club have many Intercounty players

http://www.ittdublin.ie/current/studentservicesfacilities/sportsrecreation/clubssocieties/atozofclubsandsocieties/karting/ (Karting Link)

Quote About Karting Society
    This is one of the fastest growing clubs in the college. The Karting club have regular local races and at least two weekend trips away each semester around Ireland. We have had hundreds of members over the years and we’ve had some success at Intervarsity level too getting some podium places and good Team placings. We compete in the Student League and Championship throughout the year and the Teams are picked from the club member rankings from the domestic events

The Karting societys website (http://www.ittkarting.com/) is not used. Im a bit puzzled by that. It told me it was the official website here http://www.gokart2000.com/directory/view-listing-256.html

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

First of all, and I hate to be nitpicking again, but it's wrecking my head and you've said it more than once Motley Crue - IT Tallaght is a college not a school.

Anyway, so what you're essentially implying is that a club/soc should get more money the more recognition it brings to the college? I think we'll argue in circles here, cause i'm sensing we have completely different views on what clubs/socs should be doing.

You see, I always figured that whilst of course we should support the "Big three" (soccer/gaa/rugby). More time and effort should be spent nuturing the more "niche" activities that students otherwise wouldn't have access to and certainly won't get in the papers.

I mean, soccer/rugby/gaa clubs are a dime a dozen all over the country, but in college you should be able to try new things. Some sports people want to try are just not financially viable to try for some students and the college should be helping them to broaden their horizons.

Just looking at some of the clubs/socs trinity have - they have a sodding SCUBA Diving club ffs. That's an expensive old sport to get into. UCD are the same. A Dodgeball club (okay, not expensive, but still a random sport).

I'm not saying the big sports shouldn't get some cash, but they should get it on an equal footing to the rest of the clubs/socs.

On ANXIOUS's point, yes, they should have built a GAA pitch, but maybe they should have built a creche first. Or a student centre. Or a million other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Oirthir wrote:

I argued against the implementation of a parking disc system in the college that would have provided only staff with guaranteed parking discs, then have students fight over the remaining spaces.

Jaysus, when I was a student in Tallaght you could've counted the students who drove in on one hand!! It was cycle, bus, or walk for the rest of us [old codger mode on a car was something to look forward to when we passed all our exams and got real jobs! [old codger mode off]

Seriously though, is giving staff parking discs such a bad idea? I mean if a lecturer (who is running late) can't get a space then 50 or more students miss out on a class or worse still get out of bed early for nothing... If a student can't find a space then at least he/ she can get the notes from one of the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

McSandwich wrote:
    Seriously though, is giving staff parking discs such a bad idea? I mean if a lecturer (who is running late) can't get a space then 50 or more students miss out on a class or worse still get out of bed early for nothing... If a student can't find a space then at least he/ she can get the notes from one of the others.

I would seriously doubt the mentality of anyone who thought giving staff parking priority was a bad idea.

Zillah wrote:
    I would seriously doubt the mentality of anyone who thought giving staff parking priority was a bad idea.

Well, my clearly incorrect mentality was that lecturers could afford to pay for parking elsewhere in Tallaght, whereas students couldn't.

As I said, it's akin to Dundrum town centre blocking off a rake of car spaces for Tesco staff and leaving paying customers to park up the road.

Oirthir wrote:
    Well, my clearly incorrect mentality was that lecturers could afford to pay for parking elsewhere in Tallaght, whereas students couldn't.

As I said, it's akin to Dundrum town centre blocking off a rake of car spaces for Tesco staff and leaving paying customers to park up the road.

You cant expect people to pay for parking in a place that they work, im sure if your idea was ever implemented it'd take the lectures all of five seconds to get on the phone to the labour court :rolleyes:

ANXIOUS wrote:
    You cant expect people to pay for parking in a place that they work, im sure if your idea was ever implemented it'd take the lectures all of five seconds to get on the phone to the labour court :rolleyes:

Are you serious? Plenty of places expect their employees to pay for parking?

For one, the entire Dundrum Town Centre. In Trinity staff aren't entitled to a parking space. UCD are about to bring in paid parking. DKIT have just brought it in. Pretty much the entire city centre office's don't provide free parking. I could go on, but I think i've made the point.

Oirthir wrote:
    Are you serious? Plenty of places expect their employees to pay for parking?

For one, the entire Dundrum Town Centre. In Trinity staff aren't entitled to a parking space. UCD are about to bring in paid parking. DKIT have just brought it in. Pretty much the entire city centre office's don't provide free parking. I could go on, but I think i've made the point.

Im just saying that i worked in a place this summer that had this situation it was also public sector, and they went to the labour court and won on grounds that something that was always free cant just be changed. However the said company could charge new employes.

• Advertisement

ANXIOUS wrote:
    Im just saying that i worked in a place this summer that had this situation it was also public sector, and they went to the labour court and won on grounds that something that was always free cant just be changed. However the said company could charge new employes.

I see what you mean, but Institute staff aren't Public Sector workers in the traditional sense, as they aren't paid by the government directly.

Besides, it'd be nice for the lecturers to make a sacrifice to the students for a change. I mean seriously, they have a Union agreement that stopped the early January exams from moving to late January or December. And don't tell me everyone enjoys having exams in the first week or so of January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

wait so your saying the reason we can't have exams in Dec or late Jan is because the lecturers have a union agreement preventing this?? We were led to believe the reason was because of the lack of facilities required, (national basketball championships take place late Jan and there's events in dec too)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Leon11 wrote:
    wait so your saying the reason we can't have exams in Dec or late Jan is because the lecturers have a union agreement preventing this?? We were led to believe the reason was because of the lack of facilities required, (national basketball championships take place late Jan and there's events in dec too)

This is going completely off topic, but just to clarify - the exams in January is nothing to do with the unions, it's completely to do with the logistics of getting the semester finished in time to allow the exams to commence in December.

If the exams were to start this year, for example, on the 10th of December, the previous week would be a revision week. So that's all of November, October and September for a 12 week semester. Not including the week off in November.

Who wants to start college on the 1st of September?

That's not even beginning to think about repeats from the previous year and then there's the minor factor of the CAO offers in mid-August.

Get the picture? :)

Leon11 wrote:

Well, Tom Dunne is half right.

When I sat on Academic Council ( the committee that decides on all things education in the college), we pushed for either pre-Xmas exams or late Jan exams eg, last week of jan and we were told that it wouldn't be possible because the lecturers would have to work into June and that because of a Nationally negotiated agreement, the lecturers wouldn't mark papers that late in the year. (The late xmas exams would have a knock-on to the summer exams)

Oirthir wrote:
    Well, Tom Dunne is half right.

When I sat on Academic Council ( the committee that decides on all things education in the college), we pushed for either pre-Xmas exams or late Jan exams eg, last week of jan and we were told that it wouldn't be possible because the lecturers would have to work into June and that because of a Nationally negotiated agreement, the lecturers wouldn't mark papers that late in the year. (The late xmas exams would have a knock-on to the summer exams)

Was just bored in a lab and doubled check this.
    The Director reported that he had looked at the timetable and could alter the timetable to start the examinations on Thursday January 5th . Eoin Gorman raised the issue of moving the examinations to before the Christmas. Tim Creedon stated that the whole issue would be looked at for Autumn 2007. There were constraints with delivery modes of 12 weeks and national agreements

Oirthir wrote:
    Was just bored in a lab and doubled check this.

Yes, January exams were always painful! I never liked semesterisation, maybe you should campaign for its abolition. Then there would only be summer exams to deal with and you could enjoy a worry free Christmas ;)

As a matter of interest, would the majority of students agree to shorter Summer holidays so that they could sit exams in early December?

On the issue of parking - in DCU everyone has the option of paying an annual fee for an almost guaranteed space, seems like a good idea. Free parking is also available on a first come basis. It doesn't make sense to expect staff to park outside their place of work if parking facilities are available.

McSandwich wrote:
    As a matter of interest, would the majority of students agree to shorter Summer holidays so that they could sit exams in early December?

Well, it was something the class reps were always at us about, so we were just exploring the options to give them.
    McSandwich wrote:
    It doesn't make sense to expect staff to park outside their place of work if parking facilities are available.

But I'll say it again, why does it make sense to expect students to park outside the college? We do pay to go there already after all!

Oirthir wrote:
    But I'll say it again, why does it make sense to expect students to park outside the college? We do pay to go there already after all!

I wouldn't expect anyone who uses the college to park outside. That wasn't my point.

As for payment - Don't tell me students that have no money, or wouldn't if they sold their cars! :)
    I paid for parking in Dundrum last weekend - as well as paying for cinema tickets :eek: , maybe I should've started a Fr. Ted style 'Down with this sort of thing (careful now)' protest!

BTW, does anyone (staff or students) cycle or get the bus/ luas to ITT??

Back to my original point:

Say a lecturer, running late because of traffic, arrives in the car park at 8.50 in the morning only to find that it's full (5 minutes). He/she then has find the nearest public car park find a space (an optimistic 15 minutes inc. traffic) and walk back to the college (10 minutes - assuming it's not too far away).

Result 1: The lecturer arrive at his/her 9am class 20 minutes late to find that the students have left.

Result 2: 50 students miss the class and waste a lot of time getting to the college for 9.

Maybe the solution is a bigger car park - by the sounds of it a multistorey big enough to shadow the college might just about do :rolleyes:

McSandwich wrote:

Ah yeah, plenty, but there's still a rake more cars than spaces.
    McSandwich wrote:
    Say a lecturer, running late |SNIP| lot of time getting to the college for 9.

Yeah, I agree it's not an ideal situation, but there's a lot of college staff who don't lecture and the original proposal didn't make the distinction.

Course, now that the college have built the "Synergy Centre" they've found it wise to block off ~15 spaces for people who have nothing to do with the college in terms of a contribution to college life..
    McSandwich wrote:
    Maybe the solution is a bigger car park - by the sounds of it a multistorey big enough to shadow the college might just about do :rolleyes:

Heh, it can join the queue of buildings..... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

Lecturers work until the 1st of July. Well we did when I worked there. So they point about working into june is not true.

As for staff over student parking. It is the chicken and the egg scenario. Without lecturers you have no college, without students you have no college.

And I know many a lecturer who get the bus in!

It's a good college but it is up to you to make the most of it. (I was a student there too!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I think what the college needs to have built is a multi-story car park and a recreation centre that has sports facilities, somewhere to grab eats, a gym and maybe a student bar... student accomadation(thats affordable) would also be nice..

as for the comment about parking, not all students can do without a car, infact there is alot of peope including myself that live in the in the commuter counties and depend on their cars for college which leaves alot of us stuck in a trap (that requires that we work to pay for our cars)... I Do an average of 40-50 miles a day, trying to beat traffic to get into college.. usually i have to leave my house before 7.20am to get into college for a 9am lecture... then once a finally get to college i have to find parking.. yet another great task..a multi-story would help with the parking problem and making my day just that bit easyer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 No23

McSandwich wrote:

Yep, me. I'm a lecturer, I get the Luas. I often see not only my own students but many others on the tram, and there's usually a handful heading up to the Institute no matter what time of day I'm coming in for class, meetings or whatever, so quite a few.

What astonishes me is the sheer number of students driving quite new cars. Not to mention the understaffed security office (poor old Kevin!) who have to deal with the sprawl and recent hour-long tailbacks inside the Institute... The whole situation calls for more parking spaces, so perhaps that multi-storey is looking more attractive ;) .

Anyhow, the Luas is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Dilogoat

No23 wrote:
    What astonishes me is the sheer number of students driving quite new cars. Not to mention the understaffed security office (poor old Kevin!) who have to deal with the sprawl and recent hour-long tailbacks inside the Institute... The whole situation calls for more parking spaces, so perhaps that multi-storey is looking more attractive ;) .

Anyhow, the Luas is grand.

I must say, that gets to me too. Best I can do with is an old Punto :(. However, going back to the original point, the college itself isn't something you can just put in the box marked 'boring' or the other beside it marked 'exciting'. Tim O'Connor is the clubs and societies man inside the college and he does a damn fine job with all of the students who put their time into either clubs or socities.

I myself tried setting up the Poker Society which half failed because I was busy with other things, and also because the dedication isn't there. A lot of students just are too busy to put in time outside of or during college hours. I've been involved in everything I was interested in since day one and I've never had so much fun and enjoyment in my life. I've even won awards on a national level with regard to societies I'm involved with and national medals for clubs I've chaired.

It's all about the mindset really. If you expect to walk in the door and be bombarded with 'fun' then you are going to be sorely disappointed. I for one can really vouch for the college's input into both the accademic side and the social side of the life in college, not to mention that the national awards was a 3 day trip to Galway to a 4 star hotel with most of your expenses paid. It's fantastic really.

You get out what you put in...reep what you sow...so on and so on and so forth.

Regards,

J

Advertisement