Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many kB/s should I be getting?

Options
  • 30-01-2007 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

HOw many kB/s should I be getting with a 6Mb ntl connection when im downloading a file.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

HOw many kB/s should I be getting with a 6Mb ntl connection when im downloading a file.

If you have 6mb download then i would expect somewhere in the region of 700kb as ur download figure (give or take a few KB for overheads etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

6Meg Line = 6000Kbps / 8 = 750KB/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

What would the highest and lowest DL speeds you should get from this service seeing as it is contended at 17:1?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What would the highest and lowest DL speeds you should get from this service seeing as it is contended at 17:1?
    As noted above for max speed, for lowest divide by 17. Keep in mind this assumes a perfect line from your PC all the way through to where you test (which no ISP will promise).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

well that is the speed you can expect when not contended but this can also vary depending on the speed of the servers your downloading from or the number of seeds and peers for a particular torrent....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I can get 600-700 KB/s off a good server since they sorted out all the problems we were having.

Highest: 750KB/s, lowest: (750 / 17 =) 44KB/s but this is theory. There are too many variables (PC, RG45 cable to PC, router, NTL Cable, NTL Network, Server you are downloading from, etc)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I get 723 kB/s tops. I think I've got a pretty much perfect line since it used to manage 1202 kB/s back when NTL did 10 meg. So fair play if you get more than 720k out of your line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

the max I have ever got was today and was 710 for a few seconds only before it dropped. can anyone suggest a good file/site to test from?

cheers
    Chris

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Download something from ftp.heanet.ie and leave it running for a while. This should give you a good representation of your speed.

• Advertisement

I get a much faster speed downloading from

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php?latest

then I do from heanet. i thought there was supposed to be a problem with NTL and uk+ Irish sites? Boards is taking ages to load for me as is adverts+bbc

I get a much faster speed downloading from

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php?latest

then I do from heanet. i thought there was supposed to be a problem with NTL and uk+ Irish sites? Boards is taking ages to load for me as is adverts+bbc
    That's nothing to do with your connection. Boards.ie and Adverts.ie run on the same servers and they're having issues at present...

ok are teh servers undergoing upgrades or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

Maybe try a download speed test on www.irishisptest.com.

No that website is not calibrated for NTL, or something like taht anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Install a download manager like IDM that will use a lot of concurrent connections to max out your download speed. Unless we're talking about a really crappy website I rarely get under 600 kB/s with Internet Download Manager.

Cheers I migth try that. My speed has gone to **** now though(relatively) When I started downloading counter strike I got 550 KB/s now its around 70 and staying there!! is everyone else's speed ok now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 freefall20

Its up to 6MB so anywhere from 600 - 750 KB/s.

Advertisement