Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How reliable is the 360

• 30-01-2007 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I had a PS2 for 3 years and had no problems with it whatsoever and I was planning on getting the PS3 but with all the messing around with the launch dates and availability I've given up on it.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a 360 but there are a lot of threads on here about problems with reliability. I mean after forking out €400 on a machine, I'd be mental if it broke down on me. However, there are several games that I'd love to have such as COD3, GOW and Dead Rising. So are the problems reported in these threads related to early releases of the 360 or is Microsoft throwing hardware onto the market without resolving all the bugs (as they do:rolleyes: )?

BTW, is there an updated version of the 360 comingto the market shortly that will include the HDDVD and a bigger hard drive???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I think there is a new updated version of the 360 comming out I read about it somewhere and if I where you I would wait for that.
    I have had three 360's that have broke on me so far and my warranty is up next month so I am a bit worried about that and it is very painfull ringing them to try and get it fixed..
    If I where you I would wait for a while until X-box fixes all these problems with the machines because hundreds of them are still breaking down.
    But the 360 is brilliant when its working ok.
    Hope this was a bit of help for you :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

~Marky~ wrote:
    I think there is a new updated version of the 360 comming out I read about it somewhere and if I where you I would wait for that.
    I have had three 360's that have broke on me so far and my warranty is up next month so I am a bit worried about that and it is very painfull ringing them to try and get it fixed..
    If I where you I would wait for a while until X-box fixes all these problems with the machines because hundreds of them are still breaking down.
    But the 360 is brilliant when its working ok.
    Hope this was a bit of help for you :D

Those were rumours about a new version which MS have denied so you could be waiting a while.
    There was a thread here a while ago asking who had problems with their Xbox. You can scroll down to find it. Most people were positive I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Those were rumours about a new version which MS have denied so you could be waiting a while.
    There was a thread here a while ago asking who had problems with their Xbox. You can scroll down to find it. Most people were positive I think.

No offence Mick but the previous poster stated that he had 3 360's break on him and everyday I look at this board someone else is freaking that their 360 had died.

Now it seems like a great system, with brilliant games but €400 is a lot of money to fork out on a Bill Gates gizmo that may or may not die before the warranty is up. How long have you had yours and how reliable is it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The new version will be functionally exactly the same as the existing one, just they will be using a different size process on the chips inside the machine so that it will be cheaper for them to produce, and might also run cooler. There is unlikely to be a version coming out with a HD-DVD drive built in, there might be different bundle offers though.

When reading threads about all the problems that people have had with their xboxes, remember that the people who have never had any problems don't tend to then complain about the console on message boards. Mine has been running fine since I got it last March and there are plenty of people who still have consoles they got a launch which are running OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I bought one off a guy on boards a few months ago and it works fine. No problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

have mine about 6 months and never a problem. thank god, touch wood, fingers crossed

*Vegeta blesses himself and counts his lucky stars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Mine (launch box)runs fine too. Its true, how many threads have you seen with people telling the world about how great their xbox works?

Its people that are having problems that post.

Having said that though i haven't heard too much about Nintendo Wii's becoming bricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

360 failure rates are about 3-4% AFAIK. That doesn't seem like much but considering there's over ten million out there now that'd explain why you'd hear so many stories of failures.

I haven't heard many bad stories about nintendo either. But then remember that their hardware is quite conservative. It's easier to be more reliable when you're not on the cutting edge.

I have both and never had a single problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

So the general view is that ignore the horror stories, and go buy the 360. Ok I think I will so I can finally get to see what the fuss is all about.

Thanks for the replies guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

yeah i'd get one, chances are if it is going to break, it will in the first year under warranty.

Get Rainbow 6 Las Vegas, online multiplayer is awesome, up til 2 o clock last night even though I had work this morning. great game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

quarryman wrote:
    Having said that though i haven't heard too much about Nintendo Wii's becoming bricks.
    It's not the Wii itself that is in danger of breaking though, it's anything else that happens to be in the same room that is liable to get smashed by stray controllers flying about the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

True you don't hear a lot form the people with consoles that have worked since launch.

I have mine since launch and have not had any problems with it apart from it eating into the amount of free time I have.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Had a 360 since launch here without problems, you also have to remember, that those with broke 360's will be more visible than those without, I think a poll was done here, and it bore out the 3-4% numbers.

The HD-DVD can never go internal. HD-DVD 1x (which is what the drives are), reads at 4.5mbps, whereas a 12x DVD reads at about 15mbps, to put it internal, they'd have to use a 4x HD-DVD player to match this speed, which would cost alot more to make. The PS3 uses a 2x BD player, and reads at about 9mbps, leading to slow loading times and games loading themselves onto the HD for better performance (taking up multiple gigabytes at the same time).

At most a revised Xbox would include a HDMI output, and come with a bigger HD (that'll be available seperately).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Vegeta wrote:
    Get Rainbow 6 Las Vegas, online multiplayer is awesome, up til 2 o clock last night even though I had work this morning. great game

I'd agree. Go for it. Some of the games are phenomenal.

My mate got his xbox the same time as me. He mailed me last week to tell me that his died. I felt sorry for the lad as he loves it like i do.
    Now in the last 10 minutes my xbox 360 has died !! and i know 2 other people it has happened to . So thats 4 . I have never heard of a PS2 dying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i'm just about to send back my 2nd 360.

so to answer the original question not very reliable at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i had no problems with my 360 until i bought the HD-DVD drive and set it up and on the first power up with it attached it died and since it was a launch console and is 14 months old it will take €128 to get fixed .

now i'm not going to pay it as i don't think you should be classed as lucky if your 360 lasts more than 12 months and if it fails soon after that you have to pay to get some other poor gits 360 instead of your own back.

i can say one thing and that is that they have lost more that €128 quids worth of sales ;) as i am selling all my 360 stuff now and buying more wii games and a ps3 .

i might pick up a core 360 when it drops in price but all i can say is keep hold of your receipt and if you have any trouble take it back to the shop you bought it from ( within the 12 months ) and get a new one ;) .

i can say that the 360 is an outstanding console , the best i'v played in fact but there are problems with it and don't let it get out of warranty without getting it replaced for a new one as all microsoft care about is getting your credit card detils for the repair fee :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

My launch console is still running fine, touch wood

although I do have some display issues from time to time, but it's nothing major, just requires a restart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I have never heard of a PS2 dying

Why not ask people who bought launch PS2's how many problems they had?
    And then ask them how big of a deal it was to get those problems fixed.

You'll be suprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Im on my second 360 ( 3 red lights ) and i also got a refund on the hd dvd drive due to excessive motor noise ( lawnmower ish )...

So to answer the OP not very it seems but that can depend who you ask I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

As I've said many times before on boards: I've had mine from day one and not had any probs with it at all. No touch wood or anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It very much depends on who you ask. My brothers launch PS2 broke and other than that, I have a GC and we both have 360's and never had a problem with any of them.

You have to be unlucky to get a bad console. The reason people who have problems tend to continue having problems (and this is a guess but I wouldn't be surprised) is that stores give them refurbished models instead of brand new ones so they are more likely to break again.

I know Ms don't give you a new one if they are replacing them unless you break like 4 of them but thats in the US. If it does break within the first year, you are entitled to demand your money back anyway and get a new model with a cooler processor coming out at some stage in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

not a bother on mine either and its launch day too

it seems that the amound of launch day machines that have bricked is pretty small, maybe they were better built

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

My launch console died, but I have friends whose machines run perfectly.

My take on it is, MS must be sorting these issues that are causing the console's to fail, as it will be costing them the earth to services these consoles that are already being sold at a loss.

They have had a year to iron out these flaws, all machines IMO should be running smooth thou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

My launch console is working perfectly smooth, I have never had one problem with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've had a 360 for almost a month and it's frozen more times than my PS2 in the 2 years or so that I've had that.

I haven't had any major problems with it, but thought I'd point out the freezing thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

mine froze once since launch day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

DaveMcG wrote:
    I've had a 360 for almost a month and it's frozen more times than my PS2 in the 2 years or so that I've had that.

I haven't had any major problems with it, but thought I'd point out the freezing thing!

Yes, but the PS2 was an established piece of hardware 2 years ago.
    If that was having problems still it would be a bigger issue than a relatively new piece of kit having problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Mine just got the 3 red lights now and wont start. It's a launch console and have had no problems with it prior to this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

sorry to hear that man .

Xbox 360 support info

1 800 509 186
    Hours of operation:
    Monday-Friday: 09:00-22:00
    Saturday: 09:00-20:00
    Sunday: 09:00-17:00

Advertisement