Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headlight question

Options
  • 30-01-2007 11:39am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The passenger side headlight went on the mrs car the other day. It's a Nissan Almera (00 - newer shape). For this model it's two bulbs, one parking and one for the fulls. I'd turned on engine, then the lights. Lights flared and then went. Bought replacement bulbs and fitted them. Full lights are fine, but still no parking lights.

Really annoying as NCT is friday! Any ideas what it could be? I couldn't see anything obvious, would there be a fuse for that bulb somewhere?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

The parking bulb is a tiny bulb often fitted below or to the side of the main bulb. Are you sure you have changed the right bulb?

If one side is working and the other isn't then it's nothing to do with a fuse. Even if you have changed the correct bulb, it could be faulty or blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep Avns1s is right - the parking bulb is usually a small 5 watt 'peanut' or 'capless' bulb. Check again.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I changed both the parking and main bulb yesterday. Parking one was quite small, a H1 bulb. Main bulb was H7.

1545938b.jpg
    Think i'll buy another one (or two!) today to see if they make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

This is the type of bulb the lads are talking about (picture paints a thousand words and all that :))

W5W.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Got there before me Mark!

A H1 as a parking bulb? Thats a bit weird, there is some strong light off them bulbs - commonly fitted in fog lights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

ciarsd wrote:
    This is the type of bulb the lads are talking about (picture paints a thousand words and all that :))

W5W.gif

I put one of those into my laguna... had to switch the wires at the bottom to get it to work

A H1 bulb is not a parking bulb. H1 bulbs are usually about 55W and would be far too bright for a parking light. ciarsd's bulb picture is what your after.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Might the H1 be the dip and the H7 be the main beam? (or vice versa) In which case, the OP would have changed one blown bulb, one working bulb, but not the side light bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Anan1 wrote:
    Might the H1 be the dip and the H7 be the main beam? (or vice versa) In which case, the OP would have changed one blown bulb, one working bulb, but not the side light bulb.

Sounds like a fair bet!!

Anan1 wrote:

There are two bulbs in the main headlight housing. The outside ones come on with the second turn of the stalk, so that's the dipped light?

Turning the stalk to the first click turns on the innermost bulbs (on one side) this is the H1 one. I had assumed it was called the parking lights, not 100% sure now.

Passenger side view is

/o O/ where o is the passenger side H1 bulb and O is the dipped bulb (h7).

• Advertisement

Do your headlamps have fog lights built in?

After exhaustive research it seems that there are three bulbs in each casing. The H1, H7, and a tiny bulb up in the corner that is what needs to be replaced .

What was throwing me was that with the first turn of the stalk only one H1 came on. Two turns Both H7's on but only one tiny bulb. Hoping when I change the small one the H1 will behave. :D

Edit - can't get the damn thing out though! I was able to remove the connector from the rear of the bulb, but the bulb casing justs sits there laughing at me. Must check manuall..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭alanlouthzzr

The small capless bulb is part no. R501.

Advertisement