Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

[REQ] Reccomendations fo HDMI cable Ebay sellers?

• 30-01-2007 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Hello,

I'mm getting my first HD TV in a few days (yay) and will soon be following that up with an upscaler DVD/DIVX player which means I'm going to be needing at least one HDMI cable, and possibly a DVI to HDMI cable to try running my PC on the TV.

The reason I've posted this thread is because I decided to take a look on ebay to see what the cable options were (as I've read that under 4m a cheap HDMI cable is as good as an expensive one) and I was amazed at the amount of sellers offering cheap cables.

Now I was just wondering have any people here bought cables from ebay and if so would you reccomend your seller or are there any to avoid (bad quality,hidden charges, insurance scams, non-delivery)?

Could be a useful thread too.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Yeah I've come across the same. Emailed a few of them but havent got anything back yet.

Would also be interested in TOS Links as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

I have used two ebay sellers and have been very happy with both.
    I purchased Toslink, Scart, HDMI and speaker cable.

Fill Your Boots
    http://stores.ebay.ie/HALF-PRICE-QED-at-FYB_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

This guys answers pretty much every email you send him - very helpful.

Sound-Solutions-HiFi
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Sound-Solutions-HiFi
    also has a website
    http://www.soundsolutionshifi.com/index.php

This shop is located in Wexford I think so the shipping would be a lot cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭smadger

Not sure I'd agree that a cheap 4m hdmi is as good as an expensive one. I bought a cheap (€27) 5m cable. Big mistake. Carries 576p ok but get nada when I try to put 1080p down it. A short cable carries 1080p ok.

I'll probably get a QED like quazzy point to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I'd be looking for 2m cables mostly, so I'm not sure if I'll see a difference between a $60 QED and a €6 no name gold plated ebay special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭smadger

Yeah - €6 isn't much to take a gamble on. It might just work, but there's a risk it won't. Sure you wouldn't get a pint and a ham sandwich for that ;)

My sony tv came with a cable that's about 2m (not sure) that works fine. See what comes with the TV first, I reckon.

• Advertisement

smadger wrote:
    Yeah - €6 isn't much to take a gamble on. It might just work, but there's a risk it won't. Sure you wouldn't get a pint and a ham sandwich for that ;)

My sony tv came with a cable that's about 2m (not sure) that works fine. See what comes with the TV first, I reckon.

I didn't get any cable with my tv but I got 2 with my DVD player.
    1 HDMI and 1 DVI -> HDMI

If your interested I could sell them for a good price.

Regards,

Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Hi Quazzy, send me a pm with what you're looking for for them and maybe we can work something out.

Cheers

ok ok...I was lucky enough to get one of those Tesco TechnoSonic HD LCD TV's with HDMi. It seems however I know nothing about HD stuff. I went into my local Dixon's and was scared by a €50 HDMI cable....can I ask a few questions?:

Is it true what savemejebus says about there being no difference in quality in the cable is under 2m?

What are TOSlinks and QED's?

Thanks again guys and thanks for those links Quazzy...great thread for me....

Hey Louis Plain Neurology,

The quality of the cables at less than 2m is debateable and I cant say for certain if there is a huge difference. I suppose to only way to test it is by getting 2 tvs side by side and compare with 2 different cables.

TOSlink is another name for an optical cable - it's used to carry surround sound, DTS, DOlby etc. from one device to another.

EG DVD player to Surround Sound System/ AMP/ AV receiver.

You will find TOSlink (or optical) ports on pretty much all DVD players, PS2, ntl box etc....

QED and IXOS are companys that make media cables ( Scart, Component, HDMI, TosLink etc) They also make speaker cables and interconnects.

Peats sell QED and IXOS products but they are a lot cheaper on the sites I posted.

I myself have a QED HDMI cable, TOSlink cable and an IXOS SCART (or is it the other way around - cant remember now)

If you have any other queries or questions let me know.

Q

Advertisement