Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Home in the midlands?

Options
  • 30-01-2007 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Folks,

We're looking at buying a holdiay home for sharing between the family. We're from the North and from Dublin. We dont really want to be buying in Donegal so are looking at the midlands, ie. Monaghan, Cavan, Fermanagh, Leitrim, Roscommon, Longford areas.
    Can anyone recommend a location, somewhere for a mix of young children, 20/30 somethings, and grandparents. We are looking somewhere scenic, and with activities to pursue. I'm thinking somewhere along Lough Erne or the Shannon. Probably anywhere from €200k to €350k.
    Any thoughts on specific locations?
    Any recommendations are very much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The oversupply in the north midlands is astonishing, I would consider Fermanagh if you are in a hurry to buy as the supply is restricted there or else I would wait for the air to escape from the bubble. Remember renting is quite cheap in these places.

Cavan and and Leitrim and Roscommon have simply astounding amounts of empty property for sale right now , click here to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Stocious

thanks for that Spongebob, very helpful.

It seems that the prices are quite cheap, which must be caused by this oversupply, so its a case of weighing up the options and striking a balance between quality for a decent price versus potential appreciation. Not much seems to be going in Fermanagh and they seem to be more expensive.
    What are your thoughts on Donegal, Sligo, Mayo areas?

thanks again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

oversupplied as well but not as badly as the north shannon basin . I would estimate that prices in teh north shannon basin will halve in the next 2-3 years but thats my estimate and you should generally not spend €300k on either of

1. A whim
    2. Because a Sponge told you to do so on the internet

I would counsel picking a few , (2 or 3) areas and watching the prices there and the supply there like a hawk for the next 6 months . Carrick on Shannon should be viewed at night as the place is empty.

Take a short week/log weekend in each of them this summer to get the suss and visit again in october/november out of season.

Advertisement