Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can depression lead to nervous breakdown?

• 30-01-2007 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am not sure if this question can be answered or not. As somebody who suffers deeply with depression and all that goes with it am I in danger of a nervous breakdown?

It has been suggested that it may be in the family. My grandmother, we reckon, had a nervous breakdown that would have went untreated at the time. We are talking 50 years ago now. It is only way to explain her erratic behaviour now. (long story)

I am worried that I am going down the same route. I could be worred about nothing of course but I am curious to know more about peoples experiences with nervous breakdowns. Be it themselves or somebody they know.

I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Have you been to a professional to discuss this?
    That should be the first thing you do if you are worried about yourself.

You question cannot be answered here.
    Just because x, y and z happen to one person, doesn't necessarily mean the same will happen to another.
    Everyone is different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Consult your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

breakdown wrote:
    It has been suggested that it may be in the family. My grandmother, we reckon, had a nervous breakdown that would have went untreated at the time. We are talking 50 years ago now. It is only way to explain her erratic behaviour now. (long story)

This is all speculative. Erratic behaviour can be attributed to anything from a brain tumour to Alzheimer’s to a veritable plethora of other conditions so you are really only assuming what your grandmother had and worrying yourself in the meantime. Amateur diagnostics is dangerous territory so I'd leave it to the professionals. If you have health concerns go to your GP and address them there. Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

breakdown wrote:
    I am not sure if this question can be answered or not. As somebody who suffers deeply with depression and all that goes with it am I in danger of a nervous breakdown?

I am worried that I am going down the same route. I could be worred about nothing of course but I am curious to know more about peoples experiences with nervous breakdowns. Be it themselves or somebody they know.

I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks
    Here is another perspective that is not been mentioned.
    Your grandmother grew up in a different time. Attitudes then about depressions and nervous breakdown were poor. People did not know how to deal with it. I believe the words "COP YOURSELF ON" and “GET OVER IT” where used a lot by arrogant and ignorant people and where not exactly helpful either. This poor attitude can drive you over the edge.
    So make sure that you know the true reason for the nervous breakdown. There are many possibilities. Nervous breakdown when people see everything around is breaking down around them. They do not see a way out. But there is always a way out, remember this.
    If you can, talk to your grandmother. After all she has the experience of a nervous breakdown. Her story could be helpful. You need to be tactful, just encase she did not recover. It may be that no one was confident in talking and listening to her in the way she needed, to encourage bringing that good person in her out.
    Again there are many possibilities. Just because your grandmother had one means you will have one. They could be total independent, other than paranoid thinking.
    A complete normal happy person could easy have a nervous breakdown over some event that happened and still recover with the right help, either by their own choice or with the help of others..

Talk to your GP and discuss the possibilities. Focus on finding a solution, by examining the reason why you feel this way. Do not worry, you can find a solution.
    Take care and In the future you will be doing this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Well nobody is sure if she had a breakdown or not. At the time there wouldn't have been any medical assistance. She had a tough life and any depression or breakdown she may have had went untreated.

I cannot approach her about it as she is not a rational, reasonable and logically thinking human being. It is not down to her age (86) as she has been the same way as long as dad has known her which is over 30 years!

I am just worried that maybe depression is a family thing and that perhaps I could go down the same route. Who knows I may have already :(

I would be interested to here stories about people who know sombody that went through a breakdown.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

breakdown wrote:
    'Well nobody is sure if she had a breakdown or not. At the time there wouldn't have been any medical assistance. She had a tough life and any depression or breakdown she may have had went untreated.

I cannot approach her about it as she is not a rational, reasonable and logically thinking human being. It is not down to her age (86) as she has been the same way as long as dad has known her which is over 30 years!

I am just worried that maybe depression is a family thing and that perhaps I could go down the same route. Who knows I may have already :(

I would be interested to here stories about people who know sombody that went through a breakdown.'
    It ok if you cannot talk to her. If nobody is sure, then it is speculation. Since that is the case you do not have a family history of nervous breakdown, so take no heed of it.

Both of my grandmothers had tough life’s too. One lost her husband and one child to TB in the 50's and was left to rear 7 kids. The other one lost her father in early childhood and she and her sibling was farm out to various relatives.
    Life was very tough for them both and it was difficult for them to talk about it initially.
    Immature or ignorant people will say anything to avoid embarrassment or association with the (so call) failure in their eyes. They will continue to degrade so they can feel better about themselves. This is their biggest failing, because it bite them in the ass, because they too feel empty and the constant need to degrade other for their own selfish needs. They expose themselves by their words and are easily spotted. It by educating yourself about people behavior and you will see that they are hiding their own failings. What is hurtful is that they will abuse others.

If you had a breakdown, then you will definitely know about it. So go to the GP and to AWARE meetings (as someelse suggested in another thread), you will hear definitely other stories there.
    Take care

Advertisement