Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Apartment

Options
  • 30-01-2007 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Right, i will be moving into a new appartment in June, I recieved the keys over the weekend so i can start doing some work on it if need be. Its already furnished however i plan on replacing the mattress's /sheets, cutlery / plates etc , kitchen table, out side table and chairs, curtains, sitting room table and rug.

problem is i dont know where to go or where to look... i want to try and make this place a home, but not at a crazy price as im going this alone for now.

Do any of you have any advice of companies / shops i could use that have a good quality but not through the roof ?

and also any ideas that i could possible use ?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I found bargaintown good(www.bargaintown.ie),not a place to go if you want the stuff to last the next 20 years but generally I have had good experiences with them,also take a look at argos.ie same as above but there is value for money to be had in both shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Lots of people fly to Glasgow and go to IKEA for a day. It very cheap and they deliver to Dublin now. I know a girl who went their recently and spent 8k buying everything from beds to kettles to spoons to napkins to kitchens. She did her whole house. Bargaintown sucks in my opinion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm in the same position but hopefully I'll be moving in at the end of the month.

Bargain town seems good for beds and tables but not much else.

Argos stuff seems cheap and I personally wouldnt recommend it.

I went to a place in Navan. I think it was beachmount industrial estate which was full of furniture shops and found some nice stuff out there relatively cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Kearnsr, i'll disagree with you there, from all the Bargaintown stuff i saw i though it was muck, finish looked bad on everything.
    we bought a lot from homebase, which seems to be part of Argos and i love it, very good quality, everything came in flatpacks but the quality is very good. they will even take things back if you don't want them they will arrange a itme and pick them up.
    but don't get me wrong some stuff in argos is crap but it's usually the stuff that is too cheap to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

Heyes wrote:
    Right, i will be moving into a new appartment in June, I recieved the keys over the weekend so i can start doing some work on it if need be. Its already furnished however i plan on replacing the mattress's /sheets, cutlery / plates etc , kitchen table, out side table and chairs, curtains, sitting room table and rug.

problem is i dont know where to go or where to look... i want to try and make this place a home, but not at a crazy price as im going this alone for now.

Do any of you have any advice of companies / shops i could use that have a good quality but not through the roof ?

and also any ideas that i could possible use ?

thanks

In relation to plates/ cutlery and household utensils, I’m a big fan of Lidl and Aldi. Buying bits and pieces for a house at the one time can be a lot of hassle in terms of having to make a large amount of decisions in a short space of time. I receive Lidl and Aldi e-mail alerts and let it hit me what I think is worth buying on a week by week basis. This approach is less stressful and I end up buying very useful stuff that I would never have thought of buying (eg a rack for a bathtub that allows you to read a book and have a glass of wine while having a bath. No I’m not gay). Obviously, there is a danger of over spending.

Between now and June you could easily stock a house with many useful appliances taking this approach. Have a look at their websites to see what’s on offer at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

thanks for all the feedback so far, keep it coming...

what are people s opinion s of marks and spencers and habitat ?

also does anyone have the name of small furniture shops within dublin that have some nice pieces, i already have a piece from habitat in the appartment that is a light wood colour, however im not too sure whether to keep it or not (it came with the appartment) as i would have to go with that theme... early days i know, but been wanting to organise this for ages, so now its time to get things sorted.

haha yes yes i know a very excited one here :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

M&S were meant to have sale on their stuff but I havent been up yet but has been suggested that I try and get up.

I'd say Habitat would be expensive.
    Noelie wrote:

i'll disagree with you there, from all the Bargaintown stuff i saw i though it was muck, finish looked bad on everything.

Some of their cheap stuff is muck especially when it comes to sofas and chairs but some of the dearer beds and to a lesser extend tables seem like good sturdy furniture.

Heyes just notice your ticker is a bit a head behind the times!

kearnsr wrote:
    Heyes just notice your ticker is a bit a head behind the times!

yeah thats when i was suppose to get the keys, but things changed. Ill have to change it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Most of Dunnes stuff is good value and fairly funky, go to their store on South Great Georges Street. The odd thing in Bargaintown is good value but a lot of it is awful. Homestore + More is good for cutlery and plates etc. Habitat is a franchise and thus more expensive. If you're looking for paintings, art etc and a bunch of other stuff then Decor on Wexford Street can be good although some of it is quite pricey.

• Advertisement

jdivision wrote:
    Most of Dunnes stuff is good value and fairly funky, go to their store on South Great Georges Street. The odd thing in Bargaintown is good value but a lot of it is awful. Homestore + More is good for cutlery and plates etc. Habitat is a franchise and thus more expensive. If you're looking for paintings, art etc and a bunch of other stuff then Decor on Wexford Street can be good although some of it is quite pricey.

yeah gonna hit dunnes at some stage, ill check out decor and homestore and more aswell thanks./

keep them coming..............

also need to find a nice rug...know of anywhere ?

Heyes wrote:
    yeah thats when i was suppose to get the keys, but things changed. Ill have to change it

I wish I was so lucky. Was meant to be in before Christmas. Then second week of January. Now probably wont be till the end of February start of March!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

For stuff like matresses, plates etc... Argos, Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl, Arnotts, Clerys.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Heyes wrote:
    also need to find a nice rug...know of anywhere ?
    What about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i would go with the IKEA option if i was you especially if you nees a good bit of furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The bargain basement in Arnotts can have some good stuff occasionally and TK Maxx is always worth a look (particularly for kitchenware like good chef's knifes, pots and pans etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I've always been addicted to homeware shops but fingers crossed I'll be moving into my own house in the summer and I can finally let loose! :D The only thing that is holding me back right now is not having a huge amount of storage in the apartment I'm in at the moment. Aldi and Lidl do some really good things like sets of saucepans, bins, cutlery etc alright. I also think some of Dunnes stuff is fantastic. I picked up an M&S home catalogue for €1.50 (free if you have an M&S card) the other day and they seem to have a massive range of stuff. They don't have homewares stuff in all their shops unfortunately. I've also heard good things about Next's homewares, but the nearest Next that has that stuff is out in Dundrum and I haven't been out there in ages to pick up a catalogue, it being a whole couple of miles away from me and all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

B&Q or Next are great for rugs ......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I was in a similar situation a while ago.

Your local €2 shop or Guineys in Talbot St. is good for cups / glasses / plates etc. Much cheaper than anywhere else.

I was a while looking for a suite for the sittingroom. Reids / HarveyNormans / Land Of Leather all advertise sales constantly (but they never seem cheap). But we saw a set advertised in the Banana Republic (I think it was around Tallaght) and got a suite there. Also got a coffee table for about €70 cheaper than a very similar one in HarveyNormans.

Argos stuff isn't spectacular but their beds are OK. Got a bunk and a double for the two spare rooms quite cheap.

Advertisement