Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power shower/electric shower

Options
  • 30-01-2007 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

ok, our electric showers just packed it in, loud bang, no water.

i'm asuming we need a new one?

so, a couple of questions to those in the know.....

1. whats the difference between an electric shower/power shower.

2. how much are we talking here, respectivly.

3. where do you get em? had a quick look online, no joy, kinda figured that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the electric shower heats the water .you need hot water for a power shower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

ah, it's an electric shower we need so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

well what did you have before? Just try get the same model. Then its pretty easy as its the same fittings etc.

For instance when the Triton T90SI that came with my house packed in, i got another identical one. Got my dad to fit it as he can do all that kind of stuff but it was easy for him because it was the same model etc.
    Oh and that model was €159.
    They are all about that price.

Saruman wrote:
    well what did you have before? Just try get the same model. Then its pretty easy as its the same fittings etc.

For instance when the Triton T90SI that came with my house packed in, i got another identical one. Got my dad to fit it as he can do all that kind of stuff but it was easy for him because it was the same model etc.
    Oh and that model was €159.
    They are all about that price.

where and when did you buy that saruman? woodies are charging over €100 more than what you paid http://www.woodiesdiy.com/shoppingRef.aspx?loc=C&catid=5

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Sorry... when i read your post i thought "woodies are charging €359?"
    Its €259 i paid, i must have hit the wrong key and not noticed :D So only €1 less than woodies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Not being funny but have you checked the trip switch and fuse for the shower? The shower might be fine and you may simply need a fuse.

If you have already checked that, sorry, your post wasn't very clear about it :)

r3nu4l wrote:
    Not being funny but have you checked the trip switch and fuse for the shower? The shower might be fine and you may simply need a fuse.

If you have already checked that, sorry, your post wasn't very clear about it :)

no. housemate said there was a bang from the shower it's self.

ok, so are you saying there's a fuse in the shower it's self. how do we check this?

haven't a clue bout this sort of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Razormac37

Hiya,

First things first!!

Switch off your shower by using a pull string normally located in the bathroom itself. This should indicate on or off.

Next go to your fuse board. There normally is a separate trip switch which feeds the Shower. Normally a 40 Amp. This may have tripped but it won't be down all the way. You may have to switch it off by pulling it down fully and then try to reset it. It may take a few attempts as they are normally a bit fiddley.

When you have reset this, use the pull string to send power to the shower. If the shower is switched on it may blow the trip switch immediately. If this is the case, ensure the shower is switched off at the unit itself. Then isolate the shower from the fuse board and make sure the pull switch is in the off position

Normally with these type of showers, there can be a few simple faults which cause it to trip out.
    The Pump failing
    The immersion (Heater) failing
    Water or condensation across the electrical connections

Next bit is a bit tricky, so if you are wary doing it, don't!!!

Take off the cover and see if you can see anything obvious like scorching or a really bad burning smell. Or condensation across your electrical connections

If nothing shows up, it might be that there is a heavy build up of calcium in the shower head. You can take the hose off the unit and clean it out.

Attach everthing back together and set the shower down to its lowest temp setting and lowest pump setting

Switch everything back on and see if it trips. If it does this would lead me to think that its the pump. If the shower runs o/k, try incressing the temp slowly.

If it trips out or there is no hot water coming out it's the heater.

Sometimes it's just a case of the shower head being clogged.

TRy that and see how you get on:D

Razormac37 wrote:
    Hiya,

First things first!!

Switch off your shower by using a pull string normally located in the bathroom itself. This should indicate on or off.

Next go to your fuse board. There normally is a separate trip switch which feeds the Shower. Normally a 40 Amp. This may have tripped but it won't be down all the way. You may have to switch it off by pulling it down fully and then try to reset it. It may take a few attempts as they are normally a bit fiddley.

ok, with you

When you have reset this, use the pull string to send power to the shower. If the shower is switched on it may blow the trip switch immediately. If this is the case, ensure the shower is switched off at the unit itself. Then isolate the shower from the fuse board and make sure the pull switch is in the off position not sure what you mean here, isolate the shower from the fuse board?

Normally with these type of showers, there can be a few simple faults which cause it to trip out.
    The Pump failing
    The immersion (Heater) failing
    Water or condensation across the electrical connections

Next bit is a bit tricky, so if you are wary doing it, don't!!!

Take off the cover and see if you can see anything obvious like scorching or a really bad burning smell. Or condensation across your electrical connections

If nothing shows up, it might be that there is a heavy build up of calcium in the shower head. You can take the hose off the unit and clean it out.

Attach everthing back together and set the shower down to its lowest temp setting and lowest pump setting

Switch everything back on and see if it trips. If it does this would lead me to think that its the pump. If the shower runs o/k, try incressing the temp slowly.

If it trips out or there is no hot water coming out it's the heater.

Sometimes it's just a case of the shower head being clogged.

TRy that and see how you get on:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

you can take a look but there isn't a lot you can do safely

• Advertisement

davelerave wrote:
    you can take a look but there isn't a lot you can do safely

hmmm, prob best not to risk it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Razormac37

Hi again,

I know what I wrote sounded a bit complicated, (I am an engineer!) BUT!!!! Try disconnecting and cleaning the shower head before you attempt any of the other stuff. It might just be blocked with calcium deposits.

I've had to do it a few times and it always works for me. I live in an area with poor water quality so it's an ongoing issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Check out the following, somebody has one for sale on Adverts.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=15016&cpage=3&perpage=15&cat=32#poststart

stapeler wrote:
    Check out the following, somebody has one for sale on Adverts.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=15016&cpage=3&perpage=15&cat=32#poststart

ye, i've an offer in. we've a guy coming out tonight to tell us if it needs replacing, if it does, i'll buy it

Advertisement