Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is 100,000 miles too much

Options
  • 30-01-2007 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

hey looking to buy a second hand car. looking at a polo (1997) looks good, service, NCT etc but it has 100k miles, is this too much. price around 2000

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

service history is your main key to your answer. if there is a fsh and cars has been well looked after then no it's not.. depends too how much you plan on driving it and how long you want to keep the car for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Queston_man

ok new to this is fsh = full service history. there is a full service history, and i don't plan on traveling too much, maybe a trip from dublin to kerry once a month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

If it has been maintained properly, 100k is no problem. Maintained properly means that everything that needs replacing has been replaced, not just "enough to keep it starting and driving".
    100k is only 10k a year for the last 10 years, if the car had 50k on it, thats only 5k a year, you'd have to wonder if this was:

1) Occasional long journeys - good
    2) Frequent short trips, very few long journeys, engine doesn't get to warm up, not so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

from what I remember the polos around that time had a lot of electrical problems. Just to compare, my sister in law is selling her 96 Starlet soon and she was offered €1500 on a trade in. It has fsh and 78k miles, one owner from new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Queston_man

Few people i now wrecken that the polo is a good car to get. Would ye disagree? I'm pretty tempted to get this car but the mileage is bothering me a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

have a 98 peugeot 106 myself and it's approaching 115k miles on it now, it's had a pretty damn good service history and although i had to replace the head gasket recently, it's running grand and should last quite another while.

100k isnt really that much for a 10 year old car, if the car runs fine then id say go for it, itll get you a couple of years anyway if it's looked after well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

if looked after then its just ran in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

100k is nothing to a car that's been maintained.

The only caveat is the model of Polo. Is it the hatchback or the classic (saloon) shape, and what's the engine?

Check that the service book has been stamped and see if there's a recent timing belt change, otherwise there's one due around now. Cost from an independent mechanic would be around 300-350 for that alone. So check the service book.

I like the polo - It's a good car and will last many more miles, as long as you buy the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Everything niggly has already gone wrong with it at this stage .. Timing belt would be my only concern and good service history. Other than that its not bad.

1997 would make it about average mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Gerry wrote:
    If it has been maintained properly, 100k is no problem. Maintained properly means that everything that needs replacing has been replaced, not just "enough to keep it starting and driving"

That's the key point. Most cars can last well over 100k miles. However there are expensive parts that haven't been typically replaced if they haven't caused trouble at that stage and could go any moment, like cats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Few people i now wrecken that the polo is a good car to get. Would ye disagree? I'm pretty tempted to get this car but the mileage is bothering me a bit.
    it's a decent enough car... But afaik that year never had power stearing... I wouldn't buy it for that alone... does that make me lazy? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

LundiMardi wrote:
    it's a decent enough car... But afaik that year never had power stearing... I wouldn't buy it for that alone... does that make me lazy? :)

Trying to sell on a car without power steering could be near impossible these days. Most people simply don't want them and there are plenty of alternatives that do have it. Makes you wonder what we ever did without it.

Advertisement