Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drugs in wrestling

• 30-01-2007 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

With all the talk of drugs (varying from steroids, "recreational drugs, etc) - I wonder how prevailant it is, not just in the mainstream (which already has been clearly identified) - but the indies, etc.

Do the public percieve the wrestlers as nothing but walking chemical factories and yes I suppose it then begs the question from Irish fans - do you think there are drugs in the Irish wrestling scene, etc

Opinions, thoughts - and leave all libellous/slanderous material at the door.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think steroids is a problem in the Irish scene. There's only a few who have the bodyshape that would have you wondering.

As for drugs such as painkillers, it's hard to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

A fair point.

But what about other drugs - charlie, weed, etc - if they were in the Irish scene, would that lessen the Irish scene in peoples eyes or is it a case of "its their business, not mine"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

There recreational drugs although if your saying that pro wrestlers are role models in a way, then i'd agree with that as they entertain children too. Of course WWE guys take all sorts and seem to get by so i dont think anyone cares tbh. It would damage the irish scene i'd say though as alot of irish people seem to have a low tolerance for drug users.

I dont know about being role models - but I do believe that Irish people are notoriously prideful of people who represent Ireland abroad (e.g. athletes, etc).

And if it were the case, I do believe its a case of the spotlight would be heavily on the Irish scene if it started making larger waves both home and abroad (and I mean becoming more nationally known and not just limited to the fans themselves) - point in case, most people know who Roy Keane is (as an example), even if they dont follow football. And there would be uproar if someone like him or of similiar fame become headline news for the wrong reasons.

Its because of what has happened in the past over the in the states (wrestler's premature deaths, some of which due to drug abuse) - its the kind of spotlight that the Irish scene definitely could do without - and because of that, I hope that it never falls on any of the wrestlers produced in any of the organisations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

good question.I have never thought about wrestlers in Ireland taking drugs or abusing pain killers.
    If it was to emerge that x was taking drugs in the irish wrestling scene im sure that it would change the perception of irish pro wrestlers amongst the media and also those that are relatively "new" fans.
    Your average joe's walking the streets would without a doubt say that all of american wrestlers are taking some sort of steroid etc.I certainly dont think the same would be said about the irish wrestlers at this moment in time however if it was to emerge that x was taking a steroid or abusing painkillers,I certainly think that the perception of irish wrestlers would be the same as that of american wrestlers amongst the average joe's

• Advertisement

Exactly but I wouldnt limit my arguement to just steroids - what about the so called recreational drugs - weed, or the more "hardcore" like smack, crack, etc - do we really want an "irish" Jake Roberts ;)

That said would we still be too "small" to consider instigating a wellness program?

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Exactly but I wouldnt limit my arguement to just steroids - what about the so called recreational drugs - weed, or the more "hardcore" like smack, crack, etc - do we really want an "irish" Jake Roberts ;)

That said would we still be too "small" to consider instigating a wellness program?

Of course there are other drugs.The "recreational" ones that you mentioned above are just another example of what past wrestlers have abused and what current wrestlers(eg RVD and sabu) abuse.
    The thing about something like weed is that from my experience,it is widely being used by adults and teens alike and although it would cause some negative thoughts if an irish wrestler was found to be taking it,it would be assumed that he/she was on roids aswell.
    Essentially what im saying is that a wrestler caught smoking weed will automatically be assumed by many to be taking "the other stuff" i.e "juicing up".It is this wrestling stereotype that would damage the image of irish pro wrestling-not the image of him/her smoking weed ONLY.

I would love to see a wellness programme being instigated in Ireland before it takes only one wrestler to abuse any substance and virtually destroy the image of irish pro wresling.However, Pro wrestling is still seen widely as "fake" in ireland amongst a large number of adults.This being the case would automatically dismiss any chance of a wellness programme being introduced here anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Only a moron would look at someone like Red Vinny or Mad Man Manson and think he was on steroids if he was smoking a joint.

FX Meister wrote:
    Only a moron would look at someone like Red Vinny or Mad Man Manson and think he was on steroids if he was smoking a joint.

agreed about the steroids but what about irish wrestlers that may use rec drugs like phenom said.It could very well be the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Pretty much everyone knows about how widespread steroid use and drug use was in wrestling in the 80's, 90's and there's still a lot of talk about it today. But I don't think you can compare that scene to guys in the indies or Irish wrestlers. In the 80's, the big men made the money. If they couldn't work, they'd be replaced. That's basically why guys would start using steroids and painkillers. Steroids made them bigger and better able to get the best money, and painkillers helped them to work injured. I don't think those two issues are massive priorities for Irish wrestlers. They're not working every night of the week

I would say it's sort of the same in the American indy scene. Most wrestlers have other jobs, and I doubt most of them would want to risk their health that much. There's so many more smaller wrestlers these days, and obviously they can't all be doing steroids

As for recreational drugs, again, they were obviously a big part of the wrestling scene in the 80's, and 90's aswell. These days it can't be nearly as widespread. Whoever does them would have to be more secretive about it than they'd have to have been in the 80's, as these days they'd just get fired from wherever they work. As for Irish wrestlers, I wouldn't see it as that big a deal. It's not a part of the Irish wrestling scene, so it would be down to the individual themselves, and I wouldn't see it as a reflection of the wrestling business

And I wouldn't say that RVD "abuses" drugs. He uses dope, obviously enough, but I think it's hard enough to abuse it to any extent

Lastly, guys who've gotten into the business in the last few years will know about all the wrestlers who've died young because of drugs and painkillers, and it has to have influenced some of them at least. Guys hoping to make it to WWE would have to pay attention to their wellness policy also

• Advertisement

on a side note while slow to start - I have to say this topic is a breath of fresh air instead of the usual - "blah blah sucks, (insert fav wrestler) 4 l1f3"

Advertisement