Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A3 Service Costs?

Options
  • 30-01-2007 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I have just been givin a quote for the following and I am in shock. Can anyone suggest how much the following might cost?

1) Standard long life service (after 20K miles)
    2) Timing belt change

Car is a 2004 A3 1.9 TDI

Dublin area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Timing belt change? Is this due to time installed (3 yrs) or mileage of only 20K?

Regarding service, does it have to be a main dealer for the stamp? Are you still in warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

dunno really, €500 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

if the is only 20 k on it the timing belt wont need to be done for the service price from 150-200 depend on the plugs as they are long life plugs they cost a little bit more around 500 euro to do the belt and service if you really wnat it changed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

if the is only 20 k on it the timing belt wont need to be done for the service price from 150-200 depend on the plugs as they are long life plugs they cost a little bit more around 500 euro to do the belt and service if you really wnat it changed

It's a TDI ;)

henry i know its a tdi i can read i meant if the glow plugs need to be changed as the dsl cars dont have spark plugs they have glow plugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Its due a service cause its 20K since the last. It has 60K on it, hence the timing belt.

i thought there was only 20k on it as the milage was not stated in the first one you would be looking around 500 euro to get it done was the quote you got in the same range or more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

1200 euro.

Got more than 2 quotes and they are similar. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

VW/Audi servicing is dear and Dublin garages are generally dearer than country ones. If you include the VAT you'll probably be paying a labour rate of over 100 euros an hour.

My guess: 750 for fitting a full timing belt kit and water pump and 350 for the long life service = 1100 total.

Close?

edit: just saw the last post! haha I was pretty close :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

There's a garage in Celbridge charges 280 for a VAG timing belt job. That's what I was quoted on my A2. PM me for details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Does that 280 quote include the timing belt kit or just the belt itself? I really doubt that it includes the kit as IIRC the kit alone is about 200 euros.

Another option for the OP could be to ask a Skoda garage to do the work. Same engine in the Skoda remember and from what I've heard Skoda garages give better and cheaper service than VW/Audi ones. The Skoda garage in Longford is supposed to be decent. Even if you have to suffer a day in Longford it'd be worth it if you saved yourself a few hundred euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

There can be a huge difference in costs depending on a lot of factors. Dealer sourced parts are very expensive but if the work is to be done by an independent garage there would be a big saving to be had by sourcing the parts elsewhere. It is possible to source the same (dealer) parts outside the dealer network. These are made by the same people but just do not come in a VAG labled box.
    Long life adds extra cost too. I am not convinced that long life is a good idea. While the oil may be up to the job I think it is much better for a car to be looked at more often.

Long life service, full t/belt kit inc water pump, labour and vat - €960.00 as far as I can recall form one I did late last year.

you could get it done for 600 + the price of the water pump

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

you could get it done for 600 + the price of the water pump

Is that with or without the long life glow plugs :)

with longlife thats going off the last set i got which was about 4 months ago so unless they have gone up and just tried to get a price for a water pump need an engine number but they said under 120

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I was quoted the same for service and timing belt change on my Passat by VW Main Dealer. Got it done elsewhere today for €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

My BIL was charged €1400 by Belgard Motors for a service and timing belt change on his A3 1.6 petrol. He showed me the itemised bill, they charged for everything including screen wash refill, new number plates and loads more.
    In comparison I paid €260 for a service and timing belt change on a Fiat Punto Sporting down in Colemans in Millstreet, Cork, a main Fiat dealers about 3 years ago.
    So my advice is to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

ballooba wrote:
    I was quoted the same for service and timing belt change on my Passat by VW Main Dealer. Got it done elsewhere today for €500.

Hi
    Can you pm me the number my audi a4 needs a new belt and service very soon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mechanic1

Carpenter wrote:
    Hi
    Can you pm me the number my audi a4 needs a new belt and service very soon :D

sent you a PM Carpenter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

yellow012 wrote:
    My BIL was charged €1400 by Belgard Motors for a service and timing belt change on his A3 1.6 petrol. He showed me the itemised bill, they charged for everything including screen wash refill, new number plates and loads more.
    In comparison I paid €260 for a service and timing belt change on a Fiat Punto Sporting down in Colemans in Millstreet, Cork, a main Fiat dealers about 3 years ago.
    So my advice is to shop around.

That mightn't be the best comparrison. A mechanic with experience of doing belts on punto's can do them in about an hour, they're one of the quickest and easiest to do. I'm not sure of the setup on a TDI, but some diesels have a second belt on the other end of the cam shaft driving the injector pump, so it may be more complex. That said, Colemans are still one of the cheapest and best around for fiats, I got a clutch replaced on a bravo by them, with an oil and filter change for €350 a few years back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement