Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinion on a car

Options
  • 30-01-2007 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

Well .. Getting a new car

00 1.9 TDI Skoda Octavia, 4300 euro ....
    110k on the clock

Any input ? anything in particular i should be looking at ? I was dubious about Diesel, but upon asking a few friends they were saying Diesel is the way to go, more costs in servicing though.

Anyone got any experience on how it is to drive ? Driven a 1.6 passat before and thought it was was completely underpowered.

Is there a bit of poke in the 1.9 TDI? what type of petrol engine would it compare to ?

Last car was a 1.4 Astra, a 97, what a wagon :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

servicing isnt too expensive on a diesel. oil/filter change every 10,000kms or so.

poke-wise, there is more than enough in the 1.9tdi to overtake quickly and safely.

cant really comment on the skoda variant as i had a 1.9tdi golf which from 50-73mph was quicker than my previous 2l petrol. or at least it seemed to be.

the old astra.. oh the nightmares are flooding back!! :) find yourself rocking back and forth to get it go faster like i did? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

iremex wrote:
    servicing isnt too expensive on a diesel. oil/filter change every 10,000kms or so.

poke-wise, there is more than enough in the 1.9tdi to overtake quickly and safely.

cant really comment on the skoda variant as i had a 1.9tdi golf which from 50-73mph was quicker than my previous 2l petrol. or at least it seemed to be.

the old astra.. oh the nightmares are flooding back!! :) find yourself rocking back and forth to get it go faster like i did? lol

Hahahaha .... Was like driving the Wanderly Wagon, The pedal may as well have been there for show... You'd need a runway to overtake anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

you seem to be one of the rare few who have walked backwards into finding a very clever car indeed.:)

tdi engines have power exactly where it's needed in the rev range and you will get very used to the economy. a 1.6 passat is nothing compared to the tdi octavia. sevicing is quite reasonable but a little more frequent than petrols of the same age. don't scrimp on servicing btw, they'll go forever if you mind them.

the only problem i can think of is that some turbos seem to go with mileage similar to yours and they ain't cheap.

(ps i've just noticed my posts have gotten to 325 and that's also what i drive- oh my god, i'm such a nerdlinger)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 snowydot

Good solid car, even though it's a big lump the back can be a bit squashed. The 1.9 TDI, couple of things to look out for, make sure it has a service history/regular oil changes, if not you could have a sticky turbo (you'll notice this if it loses power or that it sore on Diesel, if it's not running too smooth(rattles) you might have a faulty ECU. Other than That almost bombproof. Is it the 90 or 110 BHP version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hmm .. not sure if its the 90 or 110 version ... Any idea how to check for this ?

Is the price about right ?

• Advertisement

dunno if its its like the VW rating

red T-white DI = 90 BHP
    Red TD-white I is 110
    red TDI is 130BHP

think most octavias are 110BHP

www.cbg.ie you can search the car and it has a "average price for Skoda octavia" on CBG which is handy.
    but to answer your question, it seems right for the money unless you want to venture to ebay or the UK to purchase it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

iremex wrote:
    dunno if its its like the VW rating

red T-white DI = 90 BHP
    Red TD-white I is 110
    red TDI is 130BHP

think most octavias are 110BHP

www.cbg.ie you can search the car and it has a "average price for Skoda octavia" on CBG which is handy.
    but to answer your question, it seems right for the money unless you want to venture to ebay or the UK to purchase it.

I think you've got those arseways???
    Silver TDI = 90 BHP
    Silver TD - red I is 110BHP
    Silver T - red DI is 130BHP
    Red TDI is 150BHP

And chances are that most Octavia's of that vintage would be the 90BHP model.

i stand corrected. funny how things changed from the head to the keyboard..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Its a mistake to go by the badge on these nowadays. Theres beena lot of messing about with them. The correct output can be found on a sticker in the boot, near the spare wheelwell.

The greatest asset of the diesel engine is torque however. My last car in Ireland was a 1.6L 97 Passat. I remeber looking into the 1.9l (90BHP) TDi. The TDi was a second quicker to 60 and on average 20% more fuel efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I was in a 00 Octavia Taxi at the weekend with 220000 on the clock. Driver told me the only thing outside regular service and maintenance was the gearbox that went about 15000 miles ago. It was still on it's original clutch too up till then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

craichoe wrote:
    Well .. Getting a new car

00 1.9 TDI Skoda Octavia, 4300 euro ....
    110k on the clock

Any input ? anything in particular i should be looking at ? I was dubious about Diesel, but upon asking a few friends they were saying Diesel is the way to go, more costs in servicing though.

Anyone got any experience on how it is to drive ? Driven a 1.6 passat before and thought it was was completely underpowered.

Is there a bit of poke in the 1.9 TDI? what type of petrol engine would it compare to ?

Last car was a 1.4 Astra, a 97, what a wagon :(

Check when the timing belt was last changed. Generally it should be changed every 50k - 60k miles. This means at 110k miles your one may may need to be changed again if not recently done by the previous owner. A bargining factor in the purchase price!

Regarding power output of the TDi. The Octavia TDi was only available in two versions back then, 90bhp and 110bhp. The 110bhp having the TDi badge on the boot and engine cover. The 130bhp PD version only appeared in 2002/2003 and is as rare as hens teeth in Ireland.

Advertisement