Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Network Errors

Options
  • 30-01-2007 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

I'm having a problem with a network with 8 PC's (Mix of Win 2K and XP), Ordainary Eircom Netopia BB Modem and a Netgear Storagecentral SC101

Everything will be working fine and all of a sudden the netopia will lock up both from the network and wireless. It won't even respond to pings until turned off and back on again. I've changed the Netopia with another identical one but the same problem still occurs.

Also one user is saving word documents to the SC101 and when she goes back to them, the document could either have disappeared completely or when opened contains some of the correct text mixed with a jumble of non ASCII characters. Sometimes the document is just fine also. I have replaced her PC but the same problem occurs. All other users can use the Drive with no problems.

The Hub is an Intel Express 220T stackable hub which is very old. Could it be this that is faulty or possibly cabling? (I'm a little doubtful about it being the cable as this problem has only started in the last week or so)

Also could it be Malware running on the network somewhere? If so what's the easiest way to detect it and so shut it down?

Advertisement