Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points Query

Options
  • 30-01-2007 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I got penalty points last year.

I'm currently renewing my insurance policy and I need to know when my penalty points came into effect. I've lost the letter I got about the penalty points.

Who should I get in touch with to find out when the points came into effect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

If you just paid the fine I presume that the points are from the date you were caught. If you went to court it could be from the court date. As you have already stated you got the letter therefore you are obiliged to tell the insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 yodellingbren

From: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driving-offences/penalty-points-for-driving-offences

"If you have committed a driving offence that incurs penalty points you will receive a written notification from the Department of Transport informing you of the fact that the appropriate number of penalty points are being added to your driving licence. This notice will include details of your name, address, date time and location of the driving offence concerned and confirmation of the fact that you either paid the fixed charge for the offence or were convicted in the court of such offence. The notice will also contain a date on which the notice was issued to you. This is the important date as the points will only be added to your licence 28 days after this date ."

I dunno if this answers your question (although if you know the month you were caught, then at least you know roughly when the points come into effect).

If this doesn't help, my bet would be maybe contact your local Garda station.

An absurd joke is available on the list of offences, here:
    http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php

Driving against the flow of traffic on a motorway is just 2 points.

Rgds
    YB

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Driving against the flow of traffic on a motorway is just 2 points.
    any more and you would be punising FF politicians!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

An absurd joke is available on the list of offences, here:
    http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php

Driving against the flow of traffic on a motorway is just 2 points
    I think that was introduced to curtail the practise of reversing back along the hard shoulder after overshooting an exit rather than the full blown thing which would probably warrant a court appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

"The notice will also contain a date on which the notice was issued to you. This is the important date as the points will only be added to your licence 28 days after this date ."

That isn't the case for many people. In my situation, got caught speeding middle of sept '05. Paid my fine same day. Letter arrived a few months later in the middle of Jan '06. Points were added to my licence from that date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Driving a vehicle when unfit M 3 Court

Must get to the Gym or I could get a mandatory court apperance. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Failure to turn left when entering a roundabout

what that about?

Turning right. I have seen it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i didn't think of that, though common sense would tell people not to.

common sense....

*chuckle*

• Advertisement
Advertisement