Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spanish TV

• 30-01-2007 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

Is it possible to get any Spanish channels through my digibox? Or if not, do I need another dish pointing in a different direction and another decoder, card etc.?

Also, I'm never able to pick up (spanish) subtitles from TV Espana Internacional on my digibox but my friend in Holland says he can. Does anyone know about this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The main spanish content is on Hispasat at 30west. Some FTA and the rest part of the Digital+ package, Digital+ is alos available on astra 19.2east. You would need ideally another dish and a different reciever, either a fta reciever or the one provided by Digital+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

My sister in law has TVE International on Sky Channel 803 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

TVE is free on Hotbird (and IIRC on Astra 1 and HispSat)

For some obscure pointless reason it is encrypted on Astra 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anrakh

Extranjero wrote:
    Hi,

Is it possible to get any Spanish channels through my digibox? Or if not, do I need another dish pointing in a different direction and another decoder, card etc.?

Also, I'm never able to pick up (spanish) subtitles from TV Espana Internacional on my digibox but my friend in Holland says he can. Does anyone know about this?

If you have a SKY subscription, you have to continue to use a digibox.
    If you only use it for FTA channels, you can change to another box which can receive the Spanish channels from Astra1 which is 9 degrees from Astra 2.

Using a bracket to install another LNB, you can then use one dish (if it's big enough) with two LNBs and a diseqc switch to receive all the channels on a single decoder. E.G. I have four satellites coming in to my Lemon 020s using two 80cm dishes.

[a 2nd mention of theft and you get banned! ]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Hey Extranjero
    TVE has announced that it will start broadcasting its channels over satellited to cover the areas that DVT transmitters do not cover in the coming weeks, it also wants channels like Antenna 3 & Telecinco to join their setup, they might be encrypted, but it will be a cheap box that you can pick up in Spain. They will broadcast probably from Hotbird 13deg East & Hispasat 30 Deg West.

Hasta Pronto!

Snake ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The main spanish content is on Hispasat at 30west. Some FTA and the rest part of the Digital+ package, Digital+ is alos available on astra 19.2east. You would need ideally another dish and a different reciever, either a fta reciever or the one provided by Digital+

Lots of good stuff on 19.2 with Digital+.... you will need to pay of course..

you can pick it up with a sky dish... you would would need a new box that has cam slot for the card...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A sky dish a little small in most of Ireland for 19E if it raining, 80cm really minimum.

Well I'm using a Sky Dish for 19deg, and it doesn't break up during heavy rain also using another Sky Dish for 13Deg and its fine too. The Key is to make sure is alignment is spot on and you should be ok.

Snake ;)

You checked ALL the channels Snake? Some are as strong as Sky, some are weak.

Well all of the available Spanish ones which this thread is about Watty :) If you want me to check a particular weak channel let me know and I'll see my setup can pick it up.

Snake ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Hi all

Where can I find out some more info on the Spanish channels going FTA? I have a dish pointed at 13 and 19 degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

I think Harney was asking about more info on TVE (not the international version) going free to view with a decoder.

I'd like the same info - I'll be in Spain over the weekend and one of those would make a nice prezzie for some friends if they're available yet. Or should I believe the 'manana' stereotypes and not bother looking until next year.

Ah ok yes I'm tracking that as well, it was supposed to be launched in January by RTVE but so far nothing, I'm monitoring a satellite site in Spain for updates but so far nothing, but if you keep checking the Hispasat satellite at the above site, it updates daily for any new channels appearing on Hispasat, you should see it listed when it launches (thus it will also be on 13deg as well), although they only have TVE1 & 2 and the thematico channels like Clan 50 and Classico etc signed on for it they have asked Telecinco and Antenna3 to sign up as well, which would be great. I'll post back here if I spot any new info.

Snake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Popeleo wrote:
    I think Harney was asking about more info on TVE (not the international version) going free to view with a decoder.

Good call Popeleo, thats what I was wondering about. I have a place in Spain so I have no major problem getting a postal address if I need one for these boxes.

If would be great if I dont have to point to 30 degrees as it would mean another dish beside the existing one, and I am not sure how UK planning laws feel about it.
    I'll post back here if I spot any new info.

Looking forward to hearing anything you have to offer Snake, and thanks for the other link.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

Spanish Canal on the old 19.2 east get your self a old sky dish and get a techomate reciver

y******************************

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Do you really think no one else can understand Spanish?
    and you ****************** what I mean

Stay off the thin ice please...

Even stealing Spanish TV is a criminal offence in Ireland. And rest of EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

Hi all,

My wife is spanish and we would love to pick up some spanish tv channels via satellite. I came across freesat.ie offering the spanish digital terrestrial channels via satellite for a once off payment.

Which satellite are these channels carried on? I cannot find them anywhere on lyngsat. I would only be interested in getting them if they are FTA and legal to receive in Ireland.

Here is the link for what freesat.ie is offering:-

http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=Spanish_Free-to-air_satellite&ActinicSID=813ccc9b22ba0fe7805879ebe05e9008

I would appreciate your independent advice.

Thanks,

It's expensive from him unless that includes a high quality install.

30W (Hispasat) has a lot of Spanish channels free, also encrypted / subscription ones that need a card from spain.

The free channels listed here:
    http://www.lyngsat.com/hispa.html
    (pale yellow colour background).

An 80cm dish should do and any non-Sky Digital receiver. A DIY kit from Maplin or Satellite.ie or even some of the Aldi/Lidl ones will do.

• Advertisement

yeah thats expensive, you should look to do it yourself, I'm in the same boat better have is from Madrid, I have a small sky dish and a fta box trained on Astra 19Deg, I can pick up TVE international, TeleMadrid, Andalucia, TV Canaria's and other regional channels. You can pick up something like this from Powercity (think they deliver down nationwide) http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-28201R and basically if your handy enough you can do it yourself, dish does not need to be up high, my dish for 19deg is 10 meters from my house on the back wall with the 2 story house in front of it and it still picks up the Astra satellite perfectly.
    The channels most Spanish want are Antenna 3 & Telecinco and I'm afraid at the moment they are not available on FTA or as part of the Digital+ package. Anyway 99 Euros is a hell of a lot cheaper then what you saw online, unless as Watty said he is going to come down and install it for you. Any other info or help you need drop us a line :)

Going by the channel list, it looks like this package is receiving the transmissions for Spanish DTT that are distributed to local antennae via Hispasat. It's not quite freeview as only certain boxes or DVB-S cards pick it up but it's not encrypted.

Edit: It is the DTT package - look at the logo on the channel list page.

http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=...5879ebe05e9008

Popeleo wrote: »
    Going by the channel list, it looks like this package is receiving the transmissions for Spanish DTT that are distributed to local antennae via Hispasat. It's not quite freeview as only certain boxes or DVB-S cards pick it up but it's not encrypted.

Edit: It is the DTT package - look at the logo on the channel list page.

http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=...5879ebe05e9008

it has to be wrong there is no DTT package on Hispasat at the moment, I know that those channels are available on Digital Terrestrial in Spain but no Sat version at the moment! Although it has been rumoured for the last 18 months that TVE were going to launch a similar service on satellite, this hasn't happened yet.

it has to be wrong there is no DTT package on Hispasat at the moment, I know that those channels are available on Digital Terrestrial in Spain but no Sat version at the moment! Although it has been rumoured for the last 18 months that TVE were going to launch a similar service on satellite, this hasn't happened yet.

The answer's in the answer :p It's not meant for public reception - it's a distribution to feed the land-based digital transmitters.

http://www.dvbviewer.info/forum/index.php?showtopic=22187&st=0&p=163881&#entry163881

interesting so it seems to be on non-standard broadcast format, that has to be decoded on a PC-Sat card, I still don't see it being offered by freesat, I think the guy posts on here so maybe he'll respond

I've only read about it, but it's apparently possible to use a brand of receiver called 'Mvision' to get these also. That would make it possible to sell as a package to the general public.

Maybe the Mvision is patched? Having to use a certain brand of receiver and then patch it would explain some of the price. The only drawback is that this could be encrypted at any time - wouldn't take long to upgrade a few base stations if the powers that be wanted to for whatever reason.

I wonder could you use a Dreambox to handle these? I might buy a Skystar 2 card to experiment with these

Well I went ahead and bought a sat card out of maplins, they have an offer on at the moment for a Kworld card its around 53 euros, downloaded HispaDVB2 and connected it to a 80cm dish pointed at Hispasat and bingo it works picking up all of the terrestrial channels, it's a bit iffy on Vista works better on XP so pretty happy with the results :) worth a try for anyone with Spanish relations :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Well I went ahead and bought a sat card out of maplins, they have an offer on at the moment for a Kworld card its around 53 euros, downloaded HispaDVB2 and connected it to a 80cm dish pointed at Hispasat and bingo it works picking up all of the terrestrial channels, it's a bit iffy on Vista works better on XP so pretty happy with the results :) worth a try for anyone with Spanish relations :)

what frequency are these on?

• Advertisement

if you download Hispadvb they are already programmed into the FTA channels but anyway:

The frequencies used in DVB-S transmission are :

11570 H
    11655 H
    12622 H
    12622 V
    12640 H
    12640 V

All with SR 12960 and FEC 5/6

are there are receivers that will decode these?

supposedly so I think Freesat.ie are selling them for €339, I think the unit that can pick this up is an Mvision S4, not sure what software needs to be on them to clear the channels but I see them on Ebay for about 80 Euros

I ended up getting an Mvision S4 myself a few days ago. Works a treat when you update the firmware and channel list. Software update via the USB port on the front (no null modem cable nonsense) - just download a couple of small files, stick them on a USB key and select update on the menu. And as it's not encryption breaking software, I presume it could be discussed here.

Like Snake said, they're about 80 Euro on the net - just watch the carriage.
    Freesat.ie sell them locally - they're about 120 for the receiver on its own.

Are they MPEG4?
    If so any HD receiver might work.

Well went the full hog and picked up an Mvision S4 from Freesat, weighing up the cost of importing the box and buying it for 120 from Freesat.ie I went with Freesat as its better to deal with a local company and be able to bring the box back to them if anything goes wrong with it plus Michael who runs them is sound and knows his stuff, anyway got home and hooked up the box nice neat menu system on them, I uploaded the TDT channels via an USB key and this took a few seconds went to the channels but was getting No Video message, so I updated to the latest Official firmware and still no joy, anyway scanning a couple of different forums I cam across a modified firmware which I uploaded and reloaded the channels and there you go TDT channels. Now I might need a review my dish equipment as some of the channels were breaking up due to a Diseq switch I had in the loop and the dish/LNB are in bad nick so will need to look at that at the weekend all in all happy that I went for it now and can highly recommend dealing with Freesat.ie :)

• Advertisement

So did u get the problem with the picture breakup sorted?? Myabe those channels are on a very tight transponder over Iberia much as Astra 2D is over UK and Irl? Was thinkin of getting the box but not if the transponders arent receivable except on a massive dish.

Galway wrote: »
    So did u get the problem with the picture breakup sorted?? Myabe those channels are on a very tight transponder over Iberia much as Astra 2D is over UK and Irl? Was thinkin of getting the box but not if the transponders arent receivable except on a massive dish.

Hi Galway, well I upgrade my dish to a 1 meter dish which I also bought from Freesat.ie and replaced my lnb with a Titanium .2db LNB all of the channels are fine with the exception of 1 transponder which carries Cuarto & Sexta and a few lesser channels, but all of the others are 95% signal quality all of the time, so the main ones we were looking for where TVE1 & 2 Antenna 3 and Telecinco and they are all rock solid.

As regards the weak transponder, I actually put that down to my damn neighbour who planted a tree about 2 meters from my dish, I bent it out of the way to check and Cuarto came good. One other thing is that at certain times of the day Cuarto and the channels on that transponder come strong, even with the tree in the way. I'm going to have to do some further fine tuning to see if I can improve the situation, I might even move the dish to a different position on the back wall to see if that makes any difference. But need to get my hands on a portable tv to bring out the back for this as I'm currently trying to see my tv in the living room which is a good 12 to 13 meters away from the dishes.

Well went the full hog and picked up an Mvision S4 from Freesat, weighing up the cost of importing the box and buying it for 120 from Freesat.ie I went with Freesat as its better to deal with a local company and be able to bring the box back to them if anything goes wrong with it plus Michael who runs them is sound and knows his stuff, anyway got home and hooked up the box nice neat menu system on them, I uploaded the TDT channels via an USB key and this took a few seconds went to the channels but was getting No Video message, so I updated to the latest Official firmware and still no joy, anyway scanning a couple of different forums I cam across a modified firmware which I uploaded and reloaded the channels and there you go TDT channels. Now I might need a review my dish equipment as some of the channels were breaking up due to a Diseq switch I had in the loop and the dish/LNB are in bad nick so will need to look at that at the weekend all in all happy that I went for it now and can highly recommend dealing with Freesat.ie :)

Snake - Do you know if it is possible to get any EPG information for the TDT channels? On mine it is coming up as 'no info'

Signal is perfect on all channels - no break up

Tonio wrote: »
    Snake - Do you know if it is possible to get any EPG information for the TDT channels? On mine it is coming up as 'no info'

Signal is perfect on all channels - no break up

Hi Tonio no got no info as well, these channels are only meant to feed the canary Islands, if you watch the adverts that appear, so not really for public consumption. Lets keep our fingers crossed that they will stay in the clear for all the Spanish Ex-Pats spread throughout Europe.

Evening All,

Since Sunday of last week the picture on the 11569 channels - La 1, La 2, Clan and Canal 24 Horas - is breaking up. I do not understand it as the weather has been great. No other channels are affected. I could understand breakup if it was raining or if there were obstructions between the dish and satellite. Anyone else having this problem?

• Advertisement

Evening All,

Since Sunday of last week the picture on the 11569 channels - La 1, La 2, Clan and Canal 24 Horas - is breaking up. I do not understand it as the weather has been great. No other channels are affected. I could understand breakup if it was raining or if there were obstructions between the dish and satellite. Anyone else having this problem?

no mine is working fine on those channels is there any trees etc in the way? Anyone mess with the dish? I know from experience that that transponder and 11655 are weaker transponders then the others so your dish needs to be spot on to get these at a decent strength took me to bring the receiver and a tv out beside the dish to get the best reception. Also check that the F connectors are fully tightened I had one of them loose on the back of the receiver and was getting signal breakup I tightened it up and the signal came back fine.

The cable seems fine. I will contact the installer and ask him to have a look. Thanks anyway.

The cable seems fine. I will contact the installer and ask him to have a look. Thanks anyway.
    actually for the last 2 days my Cuarto & Sexto channels are breaking up might be reducing power on those transponders

guys has anyone lost Antenna 3 & Telecinco from the TDT package? Mine are gone but the rest are rock solid.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 freesat

They are doing tests at the moment and they have moved these channels to DVB-S2.

Fingers crossed they will be back shortly.

Mike.

freesat wrote: »
    They are doing tests at the moment and they have moved these channels to DVB-S2.

Fingers crossed they will be back shortly.

Mike.

Any more info on this? Its strange that the two channels that have resisted going on Satellite have changed, maybe they were wide to the amount of boxes that were able to view these channels and forced Retevision to change broadcast to DVB-S2.

BTW has anyone tried a DVB-S2 card to see if they can still pick these up?

Ok from what I've been able to find out on Spanish forums is that more channels will follow and move to DVB-S2, I think these are encrypted so sat boxes that could view these channels will be obsolete for this purpose. It's a real shame that Spain does not adopt a similar strategy as France or the UK, so much for Zapatero promising pre-election better range of TV for ex-pats :(

Advertisement