Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the DELL???

• 30-01-2007 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭

So I was thinking it was about time I upgraded my laptop. Yesterday I checked the dell website and worked out a decent enough model but thought I'd have a sleep on it.
    Then, today decided to go ahead and get it, went back on to the dell website but its changed!!! Now that Vista has been released I'm not given the option to select XP or Vista as the OS. Instead I have no choice. Vista seems to be now sold with all laptops! And the buyer is expected to fork out the extra cost incurred because of this too! Not to mention Vista taking up a staggering 15Gb and needing at least 1Gb of Ram if you want to run Aero!

Also, its worth noting that Dell have a lot of laptops with only 512Kb of ram for sale, all of which now come with Vista.
    And if you check this page

Dell have kindly provide a table regarding the requirements for Vista. The last row in the table is name " Great for..." and if you notice for the system with 512Kb of ram, they've marked "Booting the Operating System, without running applications or games"!!!!

Why did they get rid of XP so soon??!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Because Dell get massive kickbacks from Microsoft. Sure the entire Dell(office's) network is upgrading to Vista in a month, and they have the exact same problem. Ram hungry app's in a system with 512megs of ram and Vista :eek: .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It'll be a long time before any offices in Dell upgrade to Vista.
    It'll be 6 months at least before systems with vista will be allowed on the network to ensure no issues occur.
    You can still get XP on the Latitude series of notebooks, however even XP with 512MB of ram was a hog as well. This was the original requirement for XP before the big boys knocked back MS. This time around MS wanted 1GB minimum but again PC companies knocked them back.

It'll be a long time before any offices in Dell upgrade to Vista.
    It'll be 6 months at least before systems with vista will be allowed on the network to ensure no issues occur.

Not what I heard, they have already tested it on the network and with the various machines that Dell run. Its being rolled out very shortly with a surprising amount of money for upgrading behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Legally your entitled to a refund of the operating system if you don't agree to the license agreement, but good luck with getting the money back. I've heard its a nightmare to do (all be it possible).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

krazy_8s wrote:
    Not what I heard, they have already tested it on the network and with the various machines that Dell run. Its being rolled out very shortly with a surprising amount of money for upgrading behind it.

not from my prior experience..remember when dell finally started rolling out w2k xp was being released.
    Dell has been testing Vista for over 6 months now but that's to do with factory downloads through the network not actually office machines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dell are not the only ones. I have seen other manufacturers shipping Vista, especially for Home machines. It's a hard one to call and you might be better off hunting down manufacturers who are not shipping Vista just yet. But based on the push that Microsoft have that will prove increasingly difficult within a very short period of time. They are targetting 100 million users on Vista by year end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

u can still buy em here http://stores.ebay.ie/Dell-Outlet

and on the dell outlet with XP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

Great for...Booting the Operating System, without running applications or games.

Can't believe they wrote that, haha, not such a "great" use is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

underpants wrote:
    ...Not to mention Vista taking up a staggering 15Gb and needing at least 1Gb of Ram if you want to run Aero!

Also, its worth noting that Dell have a lot of laptops with only 512Kb of ram for sale, all of which now come with Vista....if you notice for the system with 512Kb of ram, they've marked "Booting the Operating System, without running applications or games"!!!!

512kb of ram? No extended memory for you I'm afraid. :D

But if you want a Dell, XP (and more than 512kb) buy a machine on the outlet, you'll probably get it cheaper aswell.

not from my prior experience..remember when dell finally started rolling out w2k xp was being released.
    Dell has been testing Vista for over 6 months now but that's to do with factory downloads through the network not actually office machines

Don't know about xp, but I know there is a mad rush within Dell to upgrade to Vista. My own company isn't going Vista for another 4 months so I don't know why Dell are in such a rush to roll it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

underpants wrote:
    So I was thinking it was about time I upgraded my laptop. Yesterday I checked the dell website and worked out a decent enough model but thought I'd have a sleep on it.
    Then, today decided to go ahead and get it, went back on to the dell website but its changed!!! Now that Vista has been released I'm not given the option to select XP or Vista as the OS. Instead I have no choice. Vista seems to be now sold with all laptops! And the buyer is expected to fork out the extra cost incurred because of this too! Not to mention Vista taking up a staggering 15Gb and needing at least 1Gb of Ram if you want to run Aero!

Also, its worth noting that Dell have a lot of laptops with only 512Kb of ram for sale, all of which now come with Vista.
    And if you check this page

Dell have kindly provide a table regarding the requirements for Vista. The last row in the table is name " Great for..." and if you notice for the system with 512Kb of ram, they've marked "Booting the Operating System, without running applications or games"!!!!

Don't go with dell, they are over priced and use cheaper componants than other better providers...

my brother recommended I go with elara.ie, for the reasons above, computer is top notch, I imagine they do laptops too.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I cant see dell upgrading to vista considering MS has said for larger companys not to do this, as there might be security problems. Since its from MS its prolly full of back doors and security issues.

And form what i have seen 2gb is the bare min if you wanna use aero and the other fancy features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Hobbes wrote:
    Legally your entitled to a refund of the operating system if you don't agree to the license agreement, but good luck with getting the money back. I've heard its a nightmare to do (all be it possible).
    Dell UK had no problem issuing a refund recently - £55.23 for XP Home:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6144782.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

underpants wrote:

LMAO... that links getting sent around the office today, lol. Can't believe they wrote that... who'd want to boot the operating system without running applications? wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anti wrote:
    And form what i have seen 2gb is the bare min if you wanna use aero and the other fancy features.

That's a fairly inaccurate statement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

If dell are making you pay for Vista, then like the guys said you could go to the outlet store or elsewhere.

One of the cheapest sites ive seen for laptops is.... www.laptopsdirect.ie .
    Few mates have gotten the Acer (best selling model) for €600, must say its pretty impressive for the money. Anyway might be an option...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Just dont accept the License agreements for Vista, call up Dell, tell them you dont want vista, get a refund.

They will refund you the OEM cost, so you wont get back the ammount it costs to buy Vista off the shelf, but what you can do, is if you plan to use another MS OS, like XP or 2000, buy it from Germany(I think its germany, it might be some scandanavian country though, I forget), as selling OEM standalone is legal there, and you can buy OEM versions of OS's for a nice cut down price, if of course you can live without the manual and box :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The-Rigger wrote:
    Don't go with dell, they are over priced and use cheaper componants than other better providers...

my brother recommended I go with elara.ie, for the reasons above, computer is top notch, I imagine they do laptops too.....
    Can you give us an example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Dell laptops are ugly bar the xps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

empirix wrote:
    Dell laptops are ugly bar the xps

Buy an Apple then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

astrofool wrote:
    Buy an Apple then...

Or um...just a different brand, perhaps!

Advertisement