Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books on nineteenth century London

Options
  • 30-01-2007 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all I'm a big Charles Dickens fan and am looking for non-fiction accounts of nineteenth century London.

Anybody know of anything good that is informative yet enjoyable. I don't want to feel that I am back in college reading some dusty old uninteresting reference book. Somwthing that would fit in a 'popular history' type of category.

Anyone know anything that fits the bill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

there is a huge book I used to see everywhere when I was living in London, called 'london - a complete history' [or words to that effect]

Its the history of london from its foundation to modern times - I seem to remember it getting great praise [for what its worth] :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Cheers vAGGABOND :) I used to walk through Leadenhall Market every morning on my way to work and I remembered it being mentioned in a scene from "The Pickwick Papers".

That and working beside the Tower of London piqued my interest in London History but particularly 19th century :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Its not history really but the French Leuitenants (however its ****ing spelt) Woman besides being a good novel in its own right has loads of little asides where the author explains various snippets about victorian (usually London) life. Also, I read a book on Jack the Ripper which explained the background of the east end to contextualize the murders. These are also the sort of books you can pick up for 5.99 in Easons which is an added plus.

The Fatal Shore, while about Australian penal colonoies has lots about life back in Britain and is also one of the most accessable history books I've ever read. It does have more on Georgian society than victorian though,

Finally, There is a book called Dr. Johnson's London by a woman who has a series of them - I know she also had one about 16th century London and I'm pretty sure if you check Amazon you'll find one on Victorian London. If there is and its anything like Dr. Johnsons London it would be excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Her name is Liza Picard, has a wide series and does indeed have one on Victorian London.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorian-London-Tale-City-1840-1870/dp/0312325673

Rgds

Advertisement