Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom exchanges

Options
  • 30-01-2007 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Im just wondering if anyone knows, of if its published anywhere, when Eircom are going to upgrade their exchanges? I was told when calling Eircom last week that they had no plan and that they will be done whenever ("It might be this year" is what I was told).

Also on the Ray D'Arcy show yesterday he mentioned that Eircom are closing some exchanges and if this is stated anywhere?

My local exchange is not enabled but the next nearest one (within 5km of my house) is enabled. Can you get your exchange changed?

Personally I dont want anything attached to my house or holes drilled for feeding cables through so the phoneline, or something like Irish Broadband, is what I want...and neither are available in my area (Rushbrooke, Cobh)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm not 100% sure what your broadband options are in Cobh, but you might be covered by something wireless. It's a strange location though as it's quite heavily sorrounded by hills and not as likely to be in the range of Cork city based transmitters.

As for eircom closing exchanges, that's not possible. It would mean completely withdrawing telephone service from customers in areas that were unprofitable.

While, I'm sure eircom would love to do this if they could get away with it they're subject to a USO (universal service order) and can't.

http://www.novanetworks.ie/coverage/

These guys specifically cover your area (Lower Harbour)

You're going to need something screwed to your house though. The antennae for wireless internet are very unobtrusive though and installation isn't all that big a deal. It's only really a problem if you're in an apartment building and can't get permission from the landlord / management company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

broadband.gov.ie can tell you what is available in your area.

You can also go to the broadband section of boards and there is a thread there where Sponge Bob posted the list of exchanages that eircom are going to upgrade next and you can get a list of already enabled exchanges on eircom's website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

broadband.gov.ie is incomplete

I've just checked my area and there is no mention of Smart Telecom! :mad:

Is there still a conspiracy between eircom/ComReg/the Government against Smart ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 colin74

has anyone heard how these new Eircom updates will affect line speeds?

I heard they go upto 25mb per second?????????????????????

please let it happen soon!

The only thing holding it back (according to the initial article I read) was BT Ireland who recently invested in eircom's exchanges & if eircom sold off those exchanges to property developers (as they plan) then BT Ireland won't have any rights to access the new systems.

Eircom r a shower of c@&ts but I still would like 2 c this happen just to finally see Ireland catch up with the rest of the world or at least the rest of Western Europe.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

colin74 wrote:
    has anyone heard how these new Eircom updates will affect line speeds?

I heard they go upto 25mb per second?????????????????????

Eircom currently use ADSL tech, which maxes out at about 8mb/s. Smart and Magnet use their own gear in Eircoms exchanges (a process called LLU), they use ADSL2+ which has a theoretical maximum speed of 24mb/s, but in the real world, it typically reaches 8mb/s - 15mb/s.

Eircom will probably upgrade to ADSL2 at some stage, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    colin74 wrote:
    The only thing holding it back (according to the initial article I read) was BT Ireland who recently invested in eircom's exchanges & if eircom sold off those exchanges to property developers (as they plan) then BT Ireland won't have any rights to access the new systems.

Where did you hear this?

I think you are mixing something up here, there was some talk that Eircom would split into two companies, one that operates the retail business and the other that owns the exchanges and network and that they would sell the latter back to the government.

Either way, BT, Smart and Magnet all have equipment in Eircoms exchanges under the LLU process and this is required by the EU, so any change would need to allow the continuation of this.

I could understand if Eircom wanted to sell the exchanges to property developers to build apartments over them, but you still need the exchange and Eircom and all the other telcos would still need full access to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 colin74

hmnnn...i could be getting 2 different issues confused.

the article was about eircom changing the technology they use for their lines/broadband by incoporating....loop unbundling (or something like that)

basically what the article said was eircom wouldn't need some of their old exchanges & would sell them on to property developers & use the money from that 2 fund their transition to this new technology. In fact the plan was fairly advanced & was just subject to a review by some regulatory body (comreg?) and had 2 deal with a complaint from BT Ireland but was more than likel going to go ahead very soon.

it was about 2 weeks ago in the Sunday Times if that helps.

sorry for the confusion :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Liam Byrne wrote:
    broadband.gov.ie is incomplete

I've just checked my area and there is no mention of Smart Telecom! :mad:

Is there still a conspiracy between eircom/ComReg/the Government against Smart ?

I presume its up to Smart to inform them that they are available in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

bk wrote:
    I think you are mixing something up here, there was some talk that Eircom would split into two companies, one that operates the retail business and the other that owns the exchanges and network and that they would sell the latter back to the government.

Are you sure about this? I thought it was the retail business that B&B were talking about selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

brim4brim wrote:
    I presume its up to Smart to inform them that they are available in the area.

It is up to each individual provider to submit and update the information on broadband.gov.ie . A lot of the big players haven't bothered.

/Martin

Advertisement