Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fit a timer control switch for hot water tank

Options
  • 30-01-2007 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all

We looking to cut down on wasting energy.

Basically we're looking to fit some sort a timer control switch in place of the old exsiting on/off switch thats on our hot water tank for bath\shower water etc. That way we can set the timer to come on 15 mins before we get up in the morning rather then having to leave it on all night !

Anyone got any links where we can find a) the necessary parts and b) instructions on how to do it

Any help appreciated - cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Andy27981

wud prob be better off posted in the DIY forum - sorry mod can u move ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Go to any hardware shop for that, they're usually only fitted on the live wire (Brown or Red) some switches are on both the live and neutral wires but not fitted timer switches.
    Anyone can do without any difficulty but I still would recommend that you call an electrican to do the job.
    If you are going at it, buy yourself a mains tester screwdriver, it contains a neon indicator in the clear plastic handle which lights up when the point of the screwdriver is touched on mains voltages and your thumb is forming an earth contact with the metal stud set into the top of the handle. There is a resistor in the handle so you won't get electricuted. Very important if not turned off or electrican has incorrectly wired immersian.

thanks for the info - any idea how much a timer control switch should cost. Want to avoid being over charged by my "friendly" DIY shop ?

Would love if there was a step by step guide out there ! cant seem to get anything daycent on google etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Cost - roughly 15 - 20 euro
    Turn off immersion circuit breaker and be certain there isn't any power going to immersion in case immersion was wired in reverse (it does happen). find 3-core cable going to immersion, find a suitable position along wire for switch. there usually only two terminals on the switch, so cut brown wire it should be the live wire if wired correctly. Full wiring instructions are usually provided with these switches so you shouldn't have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Galen, I have wired a significant number of timers and have yet to wire one that didnt have at least a neutral supply. How does the clock get the power to advance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I think the OP needs to be clear that the incoming power supply will have three wires - live, neutral and earth. The outgoing (to the immmersion heater) cable is heat protected and four wire. Two of the four wires are switched from the incoming live to either the sink or bath element the third wire is the return neutral and the final wire is the earth.

It's best to get an electrician to wire this if you're not handy.

It's pretty dangerous to wire an immersion wrong with lots of copper and possibly water around !

Thanks for the info reyman - I should be able to do it - as I want to avoid calling out a sparky and being grosely overcharged - for what surely isnt that difficult to do ! cheers though - u have any good links for kind of how-to guides? have googled it to death with no joy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Best advice is to buy an immersion heater and you'll find a circuit diagram with it explaining how the wiring is done

The again you could go into a plumber's and maybe they'd photocopy it for you and save you €20-€30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Maybe I have misinterpreted but I understand that you already have the immersion installed and the usual switch.

My advice would be to go to an electrical trade supplier and buy an immersion timer (16 Amp) and a surface box.

After isolating the electricity to the immersion, I would look to intercept the mains supply to the immersion switch. By mounting the surface box beside the immersion switch you may have enough slack to disconnect the Live & Neutral and Earth from the supply side of the switch and run them into the supply side of the timer.

As I have said in an earlier post most timers like this that I have fitted recently have a L & N in and an L & N out. There will be a diagram with the timer and on it in most cases.

When you have connected the supply to the L & N in, run a short new piece of 2.5mm. sq. T & E from the L & E out side of the timer to the supply side of the switch. Don't forget to connect your Earth.

That's basically it.

To operate your immersion manually, you will have to have the timer set to 'on'. When you have it timed, make sure you have the immersion switch set to "on" and the 'bath' or 'sink' selected as required. If you're adept enough to fit the switch, then you'll have no problem figuring this part out.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement