Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland squad for San Marino

• 30-01-2007 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1646

Some big suprises.

Darren Randolph -> Shay Given*
    Ian Harte -> Stephen Kelly*
    Stephen Hunt -> Andy Reid*
    Andy Keogh -> Clinton Morrison
    Anthony Stokes -> Alan Lee
    Shane Long -> Kevin Doyle*

*injured.

No replacement for Andy O'Brien.
    S.Quinn and Gibson also in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Wayne Henderson - Brighton & Hove Albion
    Nicky Colgan - Barnsley
    Darren Randolph - Charlton Athletic
    Steve Finnan - Liverpool
    Ian Harte - Levante
    Paul McShane - West Bromwich Albion
    Richard Dunne - Manchester City
    Stephen Carr - Newcastle United
    John O’Shea - Manchester United
    Jonathan Douglas - Leeds United
    Lee Carsley - Everton
    Aiden McGeady - Celtic
    Damien Duff - Newcastle United
    Kevin Kilbane - Wigan Athletic
    Robbie Keane - Tottenham Hotspur
    Stephen Ireland - Manchester City
    Darron Gibson - Royal Antwerp
    Alan Quinn - Sheffield United
    Andy Keogh - Wolves
    Stephen Hunt - Reading
    Anthony Stokes - Sunderland
    Stephen Elliott - Sunderland
    Stephen Quinn - Sheffield United
    Shane Long - Reading

There's plenty of experienced heads in that line up as well. Its good to see these players getting a run out in the international set-up and some of them will get on. Lets hope for a comfortable victory, an early goal, etc. I'm interested to see how Stokes gets on, as he should get on for 20 mins you would think.

Good to see Duffer back, I'd like to see him get 70 mins uder his legs, and its a chance for McGeady to do something spectacular.

Redspider

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Steve Finnan - Liverpool / Stephen Carr - Newcastle United
    John O’Shea - Manchester United \ Ian Harte - Levante
    Paul McShane - West Bromwich Albion
    Richard Dunne - Manchester City

(DM)Lee Carsley - Everton
    (RM)Aiden McGeady - Celtic
    (LM)Damien Duff - Newcastle United
    (CM)Kevin Kilbane - Wigan Athletic / Stephen Ireland - Manchester City
    Darron Gibson - Royal Antwerp
    Alan Quinn - Sheffield United
    John O'Shea

Robbie Keane - Tottenham Hotspur

plus Stephen Hunt - Reading
    Anthony Stokes - Sunderland
    Stephen Elliott - Sunderland

as its San Marino i could see stan going along these lines outfield.

although personally Zinidine Kilbane is only a (CM) during times of need imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Stephen Quinn is ahead of his brother Alan in the pecking order at Sheff Utd, so he'd be the more likely to have some involvement.

Good to see Anthony Stokes getting 90 minutes under his belt yesterday, albeit didnt score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Is it just me or is there a serious lack of central defenders in the squad.

TBH I'm not too familiar with some of the new heads but apart from Dunne and McShane who else can play there.

I'd prefer not to consider JOSH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Paddy McCarthy at Lecister,Graham Coughlan at Sheff Wed and O'Dea at Celtic are the three main up and coming CBs that Ireland have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Darren Randolph also plays underage basketball for Ireland.

He never would have become the man he is today had he not played with me on the North Dublin team back in 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Coughlan is up and coming?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Dunne's only about 27 so with McShane I think CB is steady for another five years or so, all going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

quazzy wrote:
    Is it just me or is there a serious lack of central defenders in the squad. TBH I'm not too familiar with some of the new heads but apart from Dunne and McShane who else can play there. I'd prefer not to consider JOSH

In that named squad, its just Dunne and McShane as recognised CB's. Staunton is betting that a) he wont need them/CB's in the game much and b) they wont get injured. O'Shea as you point out, can play CB and would do a good job against the likes of San Marino. They only have one good player who is a CM no.10 playmaker type of player so midfield will be the main testing area.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

redspider wrote:
    In that named squad, its just Dunne and McShane as recognised CB's. Staunton is betting that a) he wont need them/CB's in the game much and b) they wont get injured. O'Shea as you point out, can play CB and would do a good job against the likes of San Marino. They only have one good player who is a CM no.10 playmaker type of player so midfield will be the main testing area.

Redspider

I suppose the selection makes sense given the opposition

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Paddy McCarthy at Lecister,Graham Coughlan at Sheff Wed and O'Dea at Celtic are the three main up and coming CBs that Ireland have

WTF? Garham Clouglan is 32 ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The IFA have objected to Darren Gibson playing for the Republic of Ireland. He was born in Derry, and his parents and grandparents were born outside the 26 counties. However, he considers himself "Irish" and has an Irish passport.

From the Belfast Telegraph:
    Irish FA chief executive Howard Wells remains adamant that Darron Gibson is not eligible to play for the Republic of Ireland, despite the player being named in Steve Staunton's senior squad for the first time.

The Londonderry-born teenager has been chosen for next week's Euro 2008 qualifier against San Marino, even though his status is still under review by both FIFA and UEFA.

Late last year Wells laid out the IFA's stance on northern born players representing the Republic and referred to FIFA's own ruling on player eligibility.

"We have presented the case to both FIFA and UEFA and are waiting for their decision," Wells told the Belfast Telegraph.

"We were asked to produce case studies and Darron Gibson is one of those case studies.

"There is a meeting scheduled for April when a decision will be made."

Wells recently won a battle with FIFA to allow Northern Ireland players to play under an Irish passport, but he sees this as a different issue.

"It is not about passports, it's about eligibility and we have asked FIFA and UEFA to apply their rules," he said.

"We have told the FAI about this and we will see what happens.

"The articles are clear and very precise and we have asked FIFA as the world governing body to take responsibility."

"It is not about passports, it's about eligibility and we have asked FIFA and UEFA to apply their rules," he said.
    What is he talking about? Of course it's about passports. If he has an Irish passport he can play for Ireland, it's as simple as that.

Actually, there's more to it.
    A player who, under the terms of Art. 15 of the Regulations Governing
    the Application of the FIFA Statutes, is eligible to represent more
    than one Association on account of his nationality, may play in an
    international match for one of these Associations only if, in addition to
    having the relevant nationality, he fulfi ls at least one of the following
    conditions:

a) he was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    b ) his biological mother or biological father was born on the territory
    of the relevant Association;
    c) his grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the
    relevant Association;
    d) he has lived on the territory of the relevant Association for at least
    two years without interruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy, I can't take credit for this, but fwiw :
    The first line is the important one " A player who, under the terms of Art. 15". This relates to a player changing allegience from one country to another. Darron is not changing allegience as he has not played in an international for N.Ireland.

It's also relevant that he represented Ireland at underage level prior to the new standards being introduced.

Someone posted it on ShelsWeb - I robbed your quote for there aswell.:D

http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=7820

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ibid wrote:
    Darren Randolph also plays underage basketball for Ireland.

He never would have become the man he is today had he not played with me on the North Dublin team back in 2000.

does he still play basketball?

he was a neighbour of mine and i thought he gave it up to persue a career in soccer.

fair play to him for getting the call up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

A 2nd player from Wicklow in the squad! Must be some kind of record :)

Advertisement