Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Floppy disks become obsolete - PC World

• 30-01-2007 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

No more floppy disks in PC World. ;_;
    European computing retail chain, PC World, has announced that it will no longer stock floppy disks once existing stock has been sold in all its stores.

PC World, which has 12 stores in Ireland, said that the floppy disk is no longer adequate for most day to day computing requirements given its limited storage capacity.

In 1998, approximately two billion floppy disks were sold throughout the world. Last year only 700m units were sold worldwide.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Considering the growth in usb memory sticks and cheap external HDs its surprising it took them this long to carry out such a move, sure its been at least 2/3 years since laptops shipped with floppy drives and most PCs dont ship with floppy drives now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Good for the environment too, considering the vast amount of polymer plastic used.

I remember the first floppy I bought was a 5 1/2" Verbatim in Easons back in 1982 for all of five punts (30 Euro in todays money?). It held all of 128K on each side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Good for the environment too, considering the vast amount of polymer plastic used.

I remember the first floppy I bought was a 5 1/2" Verbatim in Easons back in 1982 for all of five punts (30 Euro in todays money?). It held all of 128K on each side.

god ur old :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

awhir wrote:
    god ur old :D
    Yeah, but rich!

Advertisement