Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying for a motorcycle license

• 30-01-2007 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi All,

I already have a full car driver's license (category B), but I now need to get a motor cycle license (category A). I have not filled out any forms in relation to the motorcycle license. I do not hold a special provisional license in relation to motorcycles. I got nothin' :)

I took the regular driver's theory test 4 years ago when I was applying for my initial driver's license. Do I need to take another theory test when applying for my motorcycle license? If so, how do I apply?

As you can see, I'm hugely confused. The Citizen's Information website just confused me further, as I couldn't find my circumstances on the information page: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/provisional_motorcycle_driving_licences_in_ireland

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Dan Sanchez

Sorry but I think you're gona have to sit another theory test... the new bike one.
    Go to dtts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Like a certificate of competency, a theory test cert is only valid for two years after you obtain it. As it's been four years since you last did a theory test, Dan Sanchez is right, you'll have to do the new one for motorcycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

Yep..what the lads said^^^..
    but that's all you need to do ...i.e. you don't have to do another eye exam etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

I'm even more confused now. I also sent an email to the department of transport. Here it is with the reply:

Hi John,

You will not need to resit your theory test in order to obtain a provisional licence in Cat A as it is still valid.

Regards, XXXXXX XXXXXX
    >>> XXXXX XXXXXX 02/02/2007 12:24:58 >>>

>>> "Department of Transport" <info@transport.ie> 30/01/2007 16:35:54 >>>

Original Message
    Sent: 30 January 2007 15:54
    To: Department of Transport
    Subject: Applying for a motorcycle license

Good afternoon,

I already have a "B" driver's license, but I now need to get an "A" license. I have not filled out any forms in relation to the motorcycle license. I do not hold a special provisional license in relation to motorcycles.

I took the regular driver's theory test 4 years ago when I was applying for my initial driver's license.

Do I need to take another theory test when applying for my motorcycle license? If so, how do I apply?

Many thanks,
    John Fallon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 fre

Any update on this? - I'm in the same situation except I've never sat a theory test - I got my full provisional B licence before it was introduced and now I'd like to get a bike licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

fre wrote:
    Any update on this? - I'm in the same situation except I've never sat a theory test - I got my full provisional B licence before it was introduced and now I'd like to get a bike licence.
    Here's what you need to do:

- Apply for Theory Test (you can do this online)
    - Once you have obtained the above, apply for Provisional A License
    - Apply for Full A License (I applied for this when I applied for the theory test to save time!)
    - Pass the test and hey, presto, you got your full license!

fre wrote:
    Steffano's correct. If you haven't previously done a theory test, and you wish to apply for a provisional licence in A, M or W, you'll need to do one. I had a full car licence when I applied for my provisional bike licence. Walked the theory test, but still had to do it. :)

So to clarify, once you have your "A" theory test certificate, you can apply for a full "A" driver's license without ever having to obtain the provisional equivalent? Also, you never have to perform a practical "A" test?

krinpit wrote:
    So to clarify, once you have your "A" theory test certificate, you can apply for a full "A" driver's license without ever having to obtain the provisional equivalent? Also, you never have to perform a practical "A" test?
    All of the above is incorrect I'm afraid Krinpit...

In order to obtain a full A License, you need to do a practical test.
    In order to be able to ride a motorcycle to pass your practical test, you need to have a provisional A License.
    In order to obtain a provisional A License, you need to pass the Theroy Test.

Does this make sense?

Yup, thanks Steffano2002. You're right, it does sound very straightforward. I just don't know why Citizen's Information are so ambiguous about it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

and with a first provisional A (in addition to a first provisional B gained in Dec 2006) i can ride a motorcycle without any other tests?!

I know, sometimes you can make simple things very complicated :D

I believe so, yes.

and with a first provisional A (in addition to a first provisional B gained in Dec 2006) i can ride a motorcycle without any other tests?!
    Yes, but you are restricted in what types of bikes you can ride (bikes over a certain power output are prohibited).

seamus wrote:
    Yes, but you are restricted in what types of bikes you can ride (bikes over a certain power output are prohibited).
    This is indeed correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

sorry to rehash such an old thread, but I didn't think this warranted a new one:

just passed my test for a B license today, I have a test for category A bought & paid for (had originally been for B) - but I deferred it for several months - as I'll be away & would need the theory test, prov license for cat A, lessons etc when I get back

Am I covered to drive mopeds (cat A1) under my full B license?
    If not, did this not used to be the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

nevermind!

"Holders of car, truck or bus licenses granted before 21 October 2006 have an automatic entitlement to a full moped license without taking a test."

so, that would mean a no... :P

Advertisement