Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

URGENT help needed!

• 30-01-2007 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Because of the mess my hard drive became over recent times I decided to format my hard drive and restore the system back to its original state as it was when I bought it. I backed up all i needed onto my external hard drive then put in the system disk and proceeded to format the drive and recover.

The hard drive was soon formatted and the system then began trying to recover Windows etc and re-install what was shipped with the computer.

The first file it began to try recover was a windows media player file and took approx ten mins before prompting that it was unable to recover the file,then after clicking ok (which was the only option given) it went onto the next file only for the same thing to happen. This continued and I am now unable to recover anything to reinstall.

I'm not an expert but my idea is that the hard drive is split into a section for the user and then another small section holding the information needed to reinstall Windows and software that are shipped with the computer, then the
    system disk is just then used to run this process. Would I be right in thinking that?

With that I feel an error may have gotten into the hard drive where it has stopped me from recovering what I need.

At the moment I cant use my PC at all. The PC wont start up properly and only gives an option of pressing 'R' for Recovery when I put the disk in.

Can anyone inform me of what has happened or what I can do?

Any help towards gettin my computer back to normal would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

OK, first off, what make/model of PC is it? What CD's do you have? Do you have a full system recovery CD? Do you have a full Windows XP installation CD?

Are you OK with wiping EVERYTHING on the drive?

Just a few questions for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kes1977

I'm fine with clearing the drive once I can get it going again. I've backed up all I needed to backup and the drive has been formatted.

My computer is an Advent 3218 3000+ and the disk I have is the System Recovery CD. I dont have a Windows XP installation disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

on the very 1st sceen when u switch on , where it would normally say press "F2 or del" to enter bios, does it it also say press "x" for system recovery options or some such?? key on my laptop is F12 but probably different on yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jtiernan

I think you are looking to delete the partition that tries to recover the other. and create a full partition on the hard-disk and then format it! Also you need to insure that your computer is capable of booting from cd. This can be seen from the BIOS which is usually entered by pressing some key imediatly after switch on (sometimes f2 depending on the computer) The windows installation cd allows the creation and deletion of partition although be sure that you want to do this as once deleted a partition cannot be recovered. Also allows for formatting with the appropriate disk structure eg. ntfs, fat. Hope this helps...

Advertisement