Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on broadband for Dublin 8 based student

Options
  • 30-01-2007 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good ISP that has coverage in the D8 area. I had an NTL contract (moved it form galway) but they told me only last week that they have no coverage in this area. I guess Kilmainham is a long way for civilisation..

So what other opitions do I have if I don't want to get a phone line into the apartment? My flatmate has IBB Ripware, but the speeds are worse than a dial up and we will be cancelling that after the 4 month trail period. Anyother options that don't cost the earth? Its a bit confusing looking through all the options online. They tend to make very big promises, but from my experience with IBB I am not willing to believe it anymore.

I have a new laptop and it is tremendously fustrating to a have a nice peice of machinery and not be able to connect to the internet at a decent speed.

Regards,

Steibhin

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you don't want a phone line, then you don't have many options.

The only good wireless services is Digiweb Metro. However this requires an aerial on the roof.

Another option might be Vodafones 3G datacard.

My advice is to go with a BT package, you will need a phone line, but the price isn't so bad, specially if you can split it with your house mate:

1m BB + line rental = €35 per month or
    2m BB + line rental = €40

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

BT sounds like an option. Its not really that I don't want a phone line per say, it that I don't want to get into some costly contract with line rental and start paying for outward phone calls (can get messy in a shared apartment). €35/40 per month is reasonable though I guess, so long as the connection speeds I am getting are good enough.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Steibhin wrote:
    BT sounds like an option. Its not really that I don't want a phone line per say, it that I don't want to get into some costly contract with line rental and start paying for outward phone calls (can get messy in a shared apartment). €35/40 per month is reasonable though I guess, so long as the connection speeds I am getting are good enough.

A few things to watch out for:

- If your phone line isn't currently connected there will be a reconnection fee.
    - BT has some setup fees.
    - BT has an option of unlimited land line calls for an extra €10 if you want.
    - BT gives you an itemised bill (online), I get house mates to agree to pay for the calls they make from this.

Of course you could always not bother to attach a phone to the line and I think there is the possibility to restrict some types of calls, like international on the phone, but I'm not 100% sure BT do this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Tut tut us Kilmainham residents consider ourselves to be the very centre of civilisation!

Anyways no recommendation for BT should come without both a wealth and health warning as to the potential problems of dealing with them. BT works well for some people no doubt but do a search if you are not a regular boards reader and educate yourself as to what you might be letting yourself in for.

If you are in Kilmainham you can get Smart BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

You can also get Clearwire in Dublin 8. I wouldn't recommend it, but it is an option if you don't want to put something on the roof.

• Advertisement

Thanks for those suggestions. I checked the apartment and it does have a phone line but it is not connected. This would mean I would have to pay a not insignificant connection fee to get on BT, Smart of Eircom.

It so disappoiting that broadband availabilty is so expensive and still so poor in the capital city of this country in the year 2007. Its not like Kilmainham is some remote island off the western seaboard. I might not be staying long at this appartment so I don't really want to go reconnecting a phone line of sticking stuff on the roof.

Might just have to ask the nieghbours if I can connect to thier eircom network I keep picking up around the house!

Apart from NTL which BB is not available in Kilmainham?

dub45 wrote:
    Apart from NTL which BB is not available in Kilmainham?

Good point. I'm not 100% sure if the others are as I need to have a phone line first to find out.

Its just bugs me that typically broadband is bundled with other products, when I have no interest in other products.

IBB have a broadband only service, but it slower than dail up. I fear Clearwire and other such providers would be the same. I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect affordable and relibale broadband connection in the middle of a European capital in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Steibhin wrote:
    I had an NTL contract (moved it form galway) but they told me only last week that they have no coverage in this area. I guess Kilmainham is a long way for civilisation..

Hey Steibhin I know NTL told you you could get no service but I was in the same situation as yourself when moving to Christchurch. I actually called 3 times. The first 2 times I was told it was not availble in the location I was moving to but the guy sounded like he could not have cared less so I called a third time and got through to a lady who told me there was a service available in my new apartment and had it moved over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Steibhin wrote:
    Thanks for those suggestions. I checked the apartment and it does have a phone line but it is not connected. This would mean I would have to pay a not insignificant connection fee to get on BT, Smart of Eircom.
    It's about €20 to reconnect a line, not what I'd deem significant, less than a months line rental. This is best done through eircom. You'll need to wait for your account number before you can order BB from other providers.
    It so disappoiting that broadband availabilty is so expensive and still so poor in the capital city of this country in the year 2007. Its not like Kilmainham is some remote island off the western seaboard. I might not be staying long at this appartment so I don't really want to go reconnecting a phone line of sticking stuff on the roof.
    I think BT offer a 6 month contract, most others are minimum 12 months, including Digiweb and Clearwire (which is crap and best avoided).
    Might just have to ask the nieghbours if I can connect to thier eircom network I keep picking up around the house!
    I know you probably say this in jest but it's highly unlikely to work. I certainly wouldn't allow anyone access to my broadband connection as I would be legally responsible for anything they might do with it.
    I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect affordable and relibale broadband connection in the middle of a European capital in this day and age.
    You'd think so wouldn't you. It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetically sad wouldn't it.

• Advertisement

It seems to me that you are more interested in moaning than actually getting broadband.

dsl by definition requires a phone line - there is nothing that can be done about that.

NTL have chosen not to provide bb in the area for one reason or another - and given their present shambolic state that may or may not be a good thing.
    AFAIK NTL also require a 12 month contract and a subscription to their basic TV service

That leaves a wireless option as your only option apparently.

Now if you are not going to stay put for too long that affects your options also.
    Good point. I'm not 100% sure if the others are as I need to have a phone line first to find out.

Not having a phone line does not prevent you at least checking out the various options available from the likes of UTV and other dsl providers.
    I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect affordable and relibale broadband connection in the middle of a European capital in this day and age.

Smart offers excellent value but requires a 12 month contract - many people would be only too happy to be able to avail of it:

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/broadbandfeatures.php

If you are not going to get in a telephone line and you are not going to stick around too long then you could consider getting this:

http://www.vodafone.ie/generic/3gbroadband.jsp?bannerdesc=home_image_P_3g_broadband_100107

And failling that there's an internet cafe in James' Street!

dub45 wrote:
    It seems to me that you are more interested in moaning than actually getting broadband.
    Thats very unfair. I would love not have to go through all this crap and I am just looking for some information and advise from more experiecned users. Sure its possible for me to get broadband somehow, but it looks like it is going to cost me a lot of money. Reconnecting my phone line will cost €50 (from what I can see from Eircoms website) Than I have the monthly fees on top of that. As a student its hard to know if I can afford that on top of every other expense, as it stands I probably wont bother getting in BB.

NTL have chosen not to provide bb in the area for one reason or another - and given their present shambolic state that may or may not be a good thing.
    AFAIK NTL also require a 12 month contract and a subscription to their basic TV service
    I already have an NTL (broadband + digi) contract that I moved from Galway. I mentioned this earlier.
    Not having a phone line does not prevent you at least checking out the various options available from the likes of UTV and other dsl providers.
    I rang BT and they said they could not tell me without having a phone number first. Now prehaps the salesperson was being a bit lazy, but that what they said.

Smart offers excellent value but requires a 12 month contract - many people would be only too happy to be able to avail of it

They do seem like the best option, but I noticed they only promise to have you connected within the next 25 days. That seems like a bit of wait for me, esp when I will probably leave the place in May.

If you are not going to get in a telephone line and you are not going to stick around too long then you could consider getting this:

http://www.vodafone.ie/generic/3gbroadband.jsp?bannerdesc=home_image_P_3g_broadband_100107

From what I have read on these boards that does not seem like a good option.
    And failling that there's an internet cafe in James' Street!

I know there is. My bike was stolen from outside there 2 weeks ago.

And a whole load more moaning to back up my original point.

If you are leaving the place in May there is nobody who will supply you with bb.

Advertisement