Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poor Taxi Driving

Options
  • 30-01-2007 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

I'm flabberghasted by the quality of driving displayed by Taxi Drivers. The majority of Taxi Drivers I see are almost alseep at the wheel, have no concept of their surrounding vehicles, change lanes without indicating, and here in Cork, they'll do U-Turns on our main street, causing chaos for minutes, rather than just follow the correct one way systems in place.

I also come home from playing with my band late at nights, and have seen the Gardaí at checkpoints ignoring speeding Taxi drivers - in fact, most Taxis in Cork, late at night, seem to have no issues driving at 80+ kph in a 50kph zone with cars that could barely stop in the distance specified in the Rules of the Road. Most of the cars I see have shot suspension, faulty lights front and rear, and poorly adjusted mirrors.

I know the Taxi Regulator is looking at a minimum standard for the cars at the moment, but shouldn't they introduce regular testing for drivers too? Most are just plain dangerous!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

so what makes them differen t from most drivers on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Isn't that obvious? The fact that these people are paid professionals, they should have to conform to the strictest driving criteria, we trust our lives to them.

They don't let PPL Pilots fly Passenger Jets! If you're reponsible for yourself and your family, a Driver's License should be enough. If you're accepting money for driving people about, you should have to be a higher calibre of driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ned78 wrote:
    we trust our lives to them..

Our lives are equally in the hands of every other bad driver on the road.

Stekelly wrote:
    Our lives are equally in the hands of every other bad driver on the road.

Yes, but you don't pay the wages of every other driver on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 markirish22

I believe most taxi drivers are the worst always cut across white lines and cut you up just so they dont have too slow down. Is saying alot considering am going too go for my taxi license soon. They are easily the worse for that. Dont know how many times they do that then when out decide too indicate, is like rubbing it in. worst is when they come out of car park in liffey valley always cut accross a full white line there, a few nearly took the front of my car off as i dont let them try force themselfs in stupid places next time it happens believe i wont be able too press the brake on time :p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I don't think Taximen are any worse than anyone else on the road.Also I think the insurance companies would agree with me as the insurance is not that much dearer than private car insurance, despite the taxi being on the road 10 hours a day. Also,as you said the guards leave taxi drivers alone as they are not a danger to other road users.
    According to the regulator 85% of taxis are 8 years old or less. These cars are tested yearly by the NCT and cannot be licensed if not roadworthy.
    The taxi regulator is not looking at vehicle standards as he has resigned from the position and has not been replaced yet.
    As for testing drivers on a regular basis, the govt cannot even test provisional drivers never mind testing professional drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 markirish22

I believe they are generally better but more ignorant and impatient as is there livelyhood and as you said do so many hours a day. Are perfectionists when a passenger is in but as soon as there looking for a passenger are like bulls charging at red cloths

Also,as you said the guards leave taxi drivers alone as they are not a danger to other road users.

They most certainly are a danger when they flout the speed limits at night time.
    The taxi regulator is not looking at vehicle standards as he has resigned from the position and has not been replaced yet.

There was an ad on 2fm today asking for the Public's input to what they feel should be the acceptable minimum standard for Taxis. It's open to the Public until March 9th, so it would appear someone is indeed at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The taxi regulator is not looking at vehicle standards as he has resigned from the position and has not been replaced yet..

He's still on the website as being the commissioner (I assume thats who you meant as the regulator is a body as opposed to a person). http://www.taxiregulator.ie/index.jsp?&pID=93&nID=96

The guards put they're efforts into preventing accidents,therefore they target young men and drunk drivers. You said yourself that guards ignore taxis! Why? Because they are involved in relatively few accidents and are usually not to blame.
    There is NO regulator at the moment. The office is staffed by low grade civil servants whilst Martin Cullen tries to fill the position.
    Anyway, what did Ger Deering achieve in three and a half years in the job? I can't think of anything can you ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Lads I have to be honest, despite their bad rep I have found most taxi drivers are actually quite on the ball. Inconsideration is something we could all be accused of.

One thing that gets up my nose about taximen is their willingness to just stop in the middle of the road to pick up a fare, I know times are hard but feck sake :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

what did Ger Deering achieve in three and a half years in the job? I can't think of anything can you ?
    Abolition of the airport surcharge and standardisation of fares ( off the top of my head - will probably think of more later).

Stekelly wrote:
    He's still on the website as being the commissioner (I assume thats who you meant as the regulator is a body as opposed to a person). http://www.taxiregulator.ie/index.jsp?&pID=93&nID=96

That just shows how inefficient they are in that office. Ger Deering resigned four weeks ago.

Abolition of the airport surcharge and standardisation of fares ( off the top of my head - will probably think of more later).

Okay so the abolition of the airport surcharge is a benefit to the public. But fare standardisation has resulted in massive fare increases in most areas. Eg; old tariff maximum Dublin rate was 1.20 per km. It's now 1.65. It's no wonder Ger Deering resigned, he should have been sacked.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ned78 wrote:
    Isn't that obvious? The fact that these people are paid professionals, they should have to conform to the strictest driving criteria, we trust our lives to them.
    Do you mean there should be different standards of driving for taxidrivers and the general public? I would have thought a high level for all would be the best!
    ned78 wrote:
    They most certainly are a danger when they flout the speed limits at night time.
    Are we starting another speed = danger threads?
    ned78 wrote:
    There was an ad on 2fm today asking for the Public's input to what they feel should be the acceptable minimum standard for Taxis. It's open to the Public until March 9th, so it would appear someone is indeed at the helm.
    I presume this is focusing on interior cleanliness, taxidriver hygene etc. and not so much on the fact that some view them as poor drivers
    That just shows how inefficient they are in that office. Ger Deering resigned four weeks ago.
    That reflects upon their office and web designer - nothing to do with Mr. Deering.
    Okay so the abolition of the airport surcharge is a benefit to the public. But fare standardisation has resulted in massive fare increases in most areas. Eg; old tariff maximum Dublin rate was 1.20 per km. It's now 1.65. It's no wonder Ger Deering resigned, he should have been sacked.
    The inter-county rates were extortionate as were other charges so many believe that it is good that they have been removed. As for 'massive' increases - can you show some examples?

kbannon wrote:
    Are we starting another speed = danger threads?

No, we're discussing inappropriate speed in a built up area, at night time, and vehicles with older, less aware drivers at the wheel who may not be able to react as quickly as someone younger, and someone with proper training.

I don't disagree with you kbannon, I believe all drivers should have an elevated level of training, but until the day comes when there's a set syllabus for all new, and experienced drivers to undergo this, there should currently be a focus on :

Gardaí
    Taxi Drivers
    Bus Drivers

etc, ad nauseum.

ned78 wrote:
    there should currently be a focus on :

Gardaí
    Taxi Drivers
    Bus Drivers
    A Garda and a taxi driver can operate with just a category B licence. A bus driver, on the other hand would have to have a B and a category D licence. On the law of averages, they would be better trained.

ned78 wrote:
    No, we're discussing inappropriate speed in a built up area, at night time, and vehicles with older, less aware drivers at the wheel who may not be able to react as quickly as someone younger, and someone with proper training.

I don't disagree with you kbannon, I believe all drivers should have an elevated level of training, but until the day comes when there's a set syllabus for all new, and experienced drivers to undergo this, there should currently be a focus on :

Gardaí
    Taxi Drivers
    Bus Drivers

etc, ad nauseum.
    Why focus on these drivers. When do you hear about Gardai, Bus Drivers or Taxi drivers causing road deaths?

Why focus on these drivers. When do you hear about Gardai, Bus Drivers or Taxi drivers causing road deaths?

Okay, you're working on the assumption that just because they haven't caused deaths up to now, that they won't in the future. It is possible that they will indeed cause deaths in the future, and then all of a sudden, people will cry for training. But why wait until then?

We had the incident in Dublin where a bus killed people waiting for the next bus, and training was called for, and we had an incident here in Cork where 2 Gardaí were chasing joyriders and lost control of their vehicle, and were killed. Again, 'proper' Garda training was called for immediately. Neither recommendation has happened.

It's only a matter of time before some Taxi driver changes lane without looking and shoves a Motorbike into an oncoming truck. Taxi drivers currently spend up to 12 hours in a car too, and fatigue is a factor.

Are the nay-sayers in this thread genuinely saying that they're happy with the current state of play with Taxi driver training, and the roadcraft we see them displaying each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Im in full agreement with Ned, despite some of the taxi drivers on here getting a little indignant about some of the comments, in cork at least the standard of taxi driving is appaling. No indicating, hustling in traffic, speeding in built up areas, pulling over in double yellow line areas and obstructing the flow of traffic.

One thing though, i was speaking to a local super whos a neighbour and it seems in Cork anyway the cops are less than happy by some of the taxi drivers behaviour, even saw a fella on Patricks street get a fine for breaking a red light the other night. Might be different in ublin though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

In the city centre, they can be a bit erratic, but it's a cut-throat business. They WILL cut each other up to get a fare.

One of my bugbears is to see them smoking in the cabs between fares. It's illegal, FFS. I would refuse to get in a cab that smelled of smoke. I saw a taxi driver go absolutely mental at a guy when he said he wasn't getting in due to the smell, having flagged him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Got a taxi back from the airport - was charged €2 for the bags.

Forgotr until I got out that this was now illegal...should have got his number.

MadsL wrote:
    Got a taxi back from the airport - was charged €2 for the bags
    Did you pre-book? There is a pre-booking charge of €2. It may not have been for the bags.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Wrong . Its more complicated than that !

NATIONAL MAXIMUM TAXI FARE effective from 25th September 2006

Taxi Fare Standard Rate
    08.00h to 20.00h
    Taxi Fare Premium Rate
    20.00h to 08.00h & Sundays / public holidays

Distance rate applies unless speed drops below 21km/h when time rate applies

INITIAL CHARGE
    First 1km or 170 seconds
    €3.80
    Fixed
    INITIAL CHARGE
    First 1km or 170 seconds
    €4.10
    Fixed

TARIFF A
    Next 14km or 40min
    Up to €17.20
    €0.95 per km
    Or
    €0.34 per min
    TARIFF A
    Next 14km or 40min
    Up to €21.70
    €1.25 per km
    Or
    €0.44 per min

TARIFF B
    Next 15km or 43min
    Up to €36.00
    €1. 25 per km
    Or
    €0.44 per min
    TARIFF B
    Next 15km or 43min
    Up to €43.50
    €1. 45 per km
    Or
    €0.51 per min

TARIFF C
    Over 30km or 86min
    Over €36.00
    €1. 63 per km
    Or
    €0.58 per min
    TARIFF C
    Over 30km or 86min
    Over €43.50
    €1. 63 per km
    Or
    €0.58 per min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I usually go for hackney's over taxi's, generally cheaper too.

Yellow Cabs for Ballincollig
    And Star Cabs for the northside.

Both Grand .. imho try driving on irish road for 12 hours straight ... quite taxing i'd say ... seeing as joe bloggs 9 - 5 cant even handle 45min - 1hr driving to get to work without losing the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Emergency Services vechlie drivers are usually trained and have sirens and flashing lights. Taxi driver apply for a PSV licence, do not have to sit a driving test for this.

Taxi's should be made use a Tachograph and be bound by similar rules to truck drivers. A truck driver works using a Tachograph, recording speed, milage, hours driving etc. A truck driver can only work for 8 hours a day. Any thing over and they can be fined for this, and it does happen, I personnally know Truck Driver fined for this.

Someone stated earlier that Taxi Drivers do not have a high rate of crashes like "normal drivers". More like they don't claim as much, because they usually sort out the claim without going through the insurance. Agian i know people who have been hit by Taxi's and the claim was always sorted this way. Besides they probably cause more crashes with their crap driving.

I think most Taxi drivers believe that because they make a living from driving, they have a God given right to drive as they see fit and everyone else is in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Stekelly wrote:

HA Ha, where did they find this muppet:
    http://www.taxiregulator.ie/files/publications/20060913025625_2005june_consultation_paper2.p.pdf

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Did you pre-book? There is a pre-booking charge of €2. It may not have been for the bags.

Nope, just ripped off - pick up from the airport stand.

I stiffed him on the tip as I had a feeling about it - got home and checked. Fecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The guards put they're efforts into preventing accidents,therefore they target young men and drunk drivers. You said yourself that guards ignore taxis! Why? Because they are involved in relatively few accidents and are usually not to blame.
    Jasus, so taxis are above the law now?! Should they have a higher speed limit for taxis? Or should the police ignore them altogether? Do taxi drivers have better reaction times than anyone else?
    Dangerous, maybe, but inconsiderate, definitely. They have no problem blocking lanes of traffic double parking waiting for someone. No problem u-turning in busy traffic, thinking just because they wave, they can do what they like. When they're not busy they're the slowest drivers ever, pulling off so slowly at lights to avoid wear and tear and excessive fuel consumption. And i think most people have experienced being in the back of a taxi that broke lights. Maybe not dangerous, but exactly quality driving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement