Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Midweek Prem thread (scores included)

• 30-01-2007 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Tuesday, 30 January 2007

Portsmouth v Middlesbrough, 19:45--HOME
    Reading v Wigan, 20:00
    HOME
    Sheff Utd v Fulham, 19:45
    DRAW
    West Ham v Liverpool, 19:45
    AWAY

Wednesday, 31 January 2007

Bolton v Charlton, 20:00
    HOME
    Chelsea v Blackburn, 19:45
    HOME
    Man Utd v Watford, 20:00
    HOME (proberly)
    Newcastle v Aston Villa, 20:00
    DRAW

Mike.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal playing catch-up with Liverpool begins tonight :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa knew what he was doing blowing the Cup games! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

60 mins gone,

2 - 0 to Liverpool

Kuyt after 10 seconds of the second half, and then crouch,

both great goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Another goal for Shane Long tonight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

1 - 2 Kepo Blanco on loan from Seville sticks one, touch of offside I feel but ten to go I hope the pool can hold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pennant is like a lesser Luis Garcia. He gives the ball away just as much but doesnt come up with the goods half as often.

Bad defending for the West Ham goal. Players running and people not bothering to follow them. They showed a high angle for a chance just when Riise got back in to block and with 4 on 4 there were 5 or so Liverpool player standing in the West Ham half watching them attack. A couple more WH players decided to go forward and only for Riise decided it was worth starting to run it could easitl have been a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

1 - 2 ft

chelsea's lead chopped down to 2 pts for the time being. good stuff, same again on sat pleasethankyou

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Meant to do this earlier:

Home
    Home
    Home
    Draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

HOME
    HOME
    HOME
    AWAY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

plazzTT wrote:
    Another goal for Shane Long tonight :)

yea bloody hell if its not one of the irish lads its the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Portsmouth 0-0 Middlesbrough
    Reading 3-2 Wigan
    Sheff Utd 2-0 Fulham
    West Ham 1-2 Liverpool

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

DRAW
    HOME
    HOME
    HOME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Two great finishes tonight but Kuyt and Crouch.

Felt at half time that it could turn out to be bad night but the two goals were top drawer indeed.

Fair dues to West Ham tho, they kept trying and may have deserved something more from the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,078 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I agree wholeheartedly with SteKelly on Pennant. I know the potential is there, but since he came to liverpool there seems to be no bite or tenacity to his game, he loses such simple challenges he should really be able to manage.

I was very happy especially with Reina's performance, looked very assured and sniffed out danger, punching when needed, but (most importantly due to what he used to do) holding into the ball when danger was around rather then trying to parry it away.

Nice to see that the 2 times Rafa has started the 3 main strikers together 2 have scored with the other playing well and having sniffs himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A good 3 pts for Liverpool, two great strikes by Kuyt and Crouch for the goals, although a nervy finish by all accounts (I didnt see it).

Can anyone post the formation here plz ?

thanks,

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

county wrote:
    AWAY

Boo!!! Down with this sort of thing!!

Toon all the way :)

HOME
    HOME
    HOME
    HOME

All the home teams please, although if I was to pick an upset it would be Blackburn to steal a point at the bridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

redspider wrote:
    A good 3 pts for Liverpool, two great strikes by Kuyt and Crouch for the goals, although a nervy finish by all accounts (I didnt see it).

Can anyone post the formation here plz ?

thanks,

redspider

i think he played 4-3-3 tonight RS

Reina, Finnan, Riise, Hyypia, Agger, Carragher, Gerrard, Alonso, Crouch, Kuyt, Bellamy was the starting lineup if i remember, looks like he could have swung a 5-3-2 either...

anyway livepool looked very lazy tonight, where were gerrard and alonso for the last 10 mins? thats when we needed them the most.

sloppy display but 3 points anyway, more of the same on saturday hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Formation was 3-4-3.

Finnan - Gerrard - Alonso - Riise across midfield.

Apart from the two top drawer goals, I'd only give Liverpool a maximum of 6/10 for the performance. Not creating enough chances.

West Ham are a team low in confidence and morale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

liverpool never really were in top gear and really didnt push themselves. after the 2nd goal we held back and got complacent.

could have been mush worse as West Ham were really at 6's and 7's, messy defending and passing was terrible. Kepa did well to come on and score, and Zamora made an impact after coming on. Benayoun was a waste of space and I am delighted we didnt sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Thanks for that info on the formation.

Looks like it was 3-4-3. However, having a team that has 3 central defenders across the back, as in Hyypia, Agger, Carragher, wont work against the better teams as someone else also pointed out.

He's played this 3-4-3 formation against Watford, where it worked but only because they were terrible, and now in this match, but I wish he would stop experimenting. He should stick to the 4-4-2 which is proven to suit the personnel we have. It is pointless playing both Agger and Hyypia in a defence with open spaces as they have no pace to cover back, and Carra, as good as he is, can't cover as good when slightly wider. I just hope he isn't intending to use this in the CL away to Barca. It can be converted to a 5-3-2 perhaps, but I think if he wants to go all defensive then he is better going something like 4-5-1.

If West Ham would have equalised, this would have been yet another Benitez experiment that had gone wrong. Thankfully, with two exceptional goals, it wasn't.

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

redspider wrote:

If West Ham would have equalised, this would have been yet another Benitez experiment that had gone wrong. Thankfully, with two exceptional goals, it wasn't.

Completely disagree here, if west ham had equalised it would have been purely the players fault. The first goal was a combination of not closing down outside the area (may have been Alonso can't remember) and what looks like a poor offside call.

When we really stepped up the formation really helped us with a flowing attack and generaly a solid defense with at least 7 playes behind the ball in most cases. while it may not 100% suit us at the back - going forward i believe this formation suits us down to the ground. Bellamy does well and puts in lots of hard work and the interchange between the 3 strickers is brilliant. with Gerrard coming in to help it makes a formidable attack, and the wings of Finnan and Riise is quite impressive at the moment.

I like the formation and would like to see it tried again but we need to be eased into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can anyone tell me what sort of weird ass formation are Chelsea playing?

1 Petr Cech
    3 Ashley Cole
    6 Ricardo Carvalho
    12 John Obi Mikel
    13 Michael Ballack
    5 Michael Essien
    8 Frank Lampard
    19 Lassana Diarra
    4 Claude Makelele
    11 Didier Drogba
    7 Andriy Shevchenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

PHB wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what sort of weird ass formation are Chelsea playing?

1 Petr Cech
    3 Ashley Cole
    6 Ricardo Carvalho
    12 John Obi Mikel
    13 Michael Ballack
    5 Michael Essien
    8 Frank Lampard
    19 Lassana Diarra
    4 Claude Makelele
    11 Didier Drogba
    7 Andriy Shevchenko
    Diarra is playing at right-back (not looking too comfortable), Essien at central defence (made a last ditch tackle to stop a sure-fire goal, amazing) and the rest as per usual. Chelsea coasting this to be honest, Shev really unlucky not to score, think this has been one of his best games for Chelsea this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Feck 3-1 Newcastle!

From the text commentary it looks like it was an exciting match.

Whats happening to Villa?

On the upside Young Ashley Young looked to have played well, had a good few shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Some fantastic football from United toinght. The 3rd and 4th goals where stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

DRAW
    HOME
    HOME
    HOME

LOL not too bad 100%:D

Should have put a bet on that........:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

RasTa wrote:
    Some fantastic football from United toinght. The 3rd and 4th goals where stunning.

yea amazing. Ronaldos flick for Rooney was amazing.

Anyone notice Ronaldo's lack of interest in goals he doesnt score? the own goal he looked really disappointed that he didnt get it. he didnt celebrate with the team for the third and he rarely goes to thank a player who sets him up for a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Some f*cking gorgeous goals in the United game! :D

Ronaldo-great peno
    Larsson-lovely lay on by Rooney, savage finish
    Rooney-absolutely brilliant ball by Ronaldo, Rooney did well to keep that under the bar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

shoutman wrote:
    Feck 3-1 Newcastle!

From the text commentary it looks like it was an exciting match.

Whats happening to Villa?

On the upside Young Ashley Young looked to have played well, had a good few shots.
    Looks like Carew had a perfectly decent goal ruled out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

SofaKing wrote:
    Looks like Carew had a perfectly decent goal ruled out!

You're right about the goal! but the cornor shouldn't have been given to Villa as Taylor didn't make any contact on the ball. So two wrong descisions cancel each other out!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I found the rooney goal on youtube but anyone got a link for Larssons goal????

Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

You're right about the goal! but the cornor shouldn't have been given to Villa as Taylor didn't make any contact on the ball. So two wrong descisions cancel each other out!:D
    Yeah I think the ref knew the wrong decision had been given and he always going to give a free out. Excellent debut by Carew overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

sprinkles wrote:
    I found the rooney goal on youtube but anyone got a link for Larssons goal????

Rooney
    All goals here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9rnmxslMWE

Larsson:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/ChrissyUnited/video/x13skm_man-utd-watford-30-larsson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Very nice goals from Larsson & Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

el rabitos wrote:

chelsea's lead chopped down to 2 pts

Well you can but hope for 24hours at least :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Anyone notice Ronaldo's lack of interest in goals he doesnt score? the own goal he looked really disappointed that he didnt get it. he didnt celebrate with the team for the third and he rarely goes to thank a player who sets him up for a goal.

This both worries and seriously annoys me. He really does seem to just play for himself so I can see him easily walking away from Man Utd in the not too distant future. Whenever he scores a tap-in after another players excellent work you always see him just run to the crowd without even acknowledging the effort of anybody else.

Advertisement