Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aghahowa to Wigan!

• 30-01-2007 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,078 ✭✭✭✭

Wigan have signed Nigerian international Julius Aghahowa from Shaktar and have been granted a work permit for him.

I dont know about the rest of you but this is a player i've been dying to see in the premiership, he was amazing when Nigeria won the olympics and went on to seal a big move to shaktar. He was then very very good in the african nations before last and had a decent world cup in 2002, scoring against ireland in the pre tournament friendlies (which i bet on happening and made a nice return :D )

Things have been a bit more quiet from in recent times, but he still has a 1 goal in 2 games record for his club.

Big Sam was mad after him a few years ago for Bolton, but Shaktar wouldn't sell.
    He's lightning quick, has good feet and is fearless running at defenders, very exciting player to watch, especially when he scores! Lua Lua styled celebrations, but better!

He's apparently 24. I say apparently as he's one of the African players who have had their birth certificates called into question. A few years ago in the czech republic i met a Nigerian chap who was telling me most of those claims are unfounded and the ages are generally as stated, but that Julius had been a policeman in this guys own village and only went off to play professionally at around 21, rather then the 16 or 17 which is claimed. Obviously something to be taken with a pinch of salt, but you never know.

Anyway, im delighted he's coming and i expect him to add a great deal of excitement to Wigan in helping them avoid relegation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Aghahowa was one of those players that was always a good bet in championship manager circa 01-02 era... Technically he is a ncie player, lightening quick but easily up there with Jason Lee in the catageory of worst finishers I have ever seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

His techinque is very very suspect, very quick and direct but his first touch, finishing and vision are all very suspect, hasnt really developed since he's come to europe, always running with his head down when he has the ball, doesnt really involve himself in the first two thirds of the picth and when he plays a good defence he is very easily marshelled. Might be alright for wigan I guess, playing off heskey or whatever but not really any better than lower prem/higher championship standard.

Advertisement